Format: Hardcover|Change

on 9 March 2014
As part of my World Book Night reading challenge I should have been reading Short Stories by Roald Dahl - unfortunately this was produced especially for the WBN and therefore not available to buy so I came across this collection instead.

Having recently read another book of short stories that I didn't enjoy so much I was a bit dubious about reading another. But as this was part of a reading challenge I felt compelled too.

This collection of 9 stories includes the following:

Man from the South, Lamb to the Slaughter, The Landlady, The Champion of the World, Galloping Foxley, Mrs Bixby and the Colonel's Coat, Skin, The Ratcatcher, The Hitchhiker. My favourites being Lamb to the Slaughter and The Landlady but all were equally as good!

Cleverly written, they're all about some kind of greed or wrong-doing and are just a little bit wicked. A great opening story will have you hooked from the first few pages and this continues throughout the whole book. Each story has an interesting and gripping premise which draws you in from the first few pages and then delivers an unexpected twist every time and this is why Roald Dahl was brilliant at stuff like Tales of the Unexpected - a master of his craft.

I have to say that I really enjoyed all of these stories and so they've restored my faith in the short story and I would recommend for readers 13+, fans of Roald Dahl and anyone who likes a wicked twist!
on 13 October 2013
Dahl has always had a darker side to his writing but this certainly aimed at teenagers and above. I mistakenly bought as quick purchased to read at Cub camp but it is not suitable for that. The stories are fine it feels and probably is a school textbook, with pointers and questions at the start of each chapter. The stories have some nice twist if you liked Tales of the Unexpected I think you will like this. The school book style may not be to everybody's taste I found it fine and may get you thinking about what is going on rather just reading the stories.
on 8 November 2014