on 2 May 2017
This is perfect for people taking CELTA.
on 1 October 2008
This is a good basic introduction but I can't rate this any higher than three stars because there is little advice within this book on practical teaching skills which I would have expected from the title. The text is somewhat turgid but is improved by the helpful use of different typography to highlight section headings and important ideas raised in each chapter. The practical examples used are quite helpful. A useful complementary text to this book is Jim Scrivener's 'Learning Teaching' which has much more to say on the practical issues of teaching a class.
on 13 March 2002
This book is a good basis for anyone starting off on a TEFL career and/or studying for the TEFL certificate. The chapters are simply written and run through the basic approach to teaching english. It gives a good introduction but is really a one-off read and you are unlikely to use it as a reference book during your career.
on 7 May 2017
Excellent tool for my CELTA Course. I am finding it easy to read and concise. I've had a brief look at some of the other editions. For my level, this edition is suitable for me.
on 27 February 2010
I bought this book when I started teaching six years ago because it was on my CELTA course reading list. Unfortunately it has never been of any use to me in the classroom. It always seems to be either stating the blindingly obvious such as why it is important to teach reading, writing etc., or focussing on entirely the wrong things, e.g. the tenses or the quality of the tape recorder you use. My abiding memory of the book, though, is the system it has hit upon to suck all the enjoyment out of teaching: The "Engage - Study - Activate" sequence, which runs throughout the book; First you need to Engage the students, then they Study, then you Activate this knowledge and then perhaps they Study again so you have sequences like ESAS. Deathly! If you're looking for practical teaching tips written concisely, get "Practical Techniques", a real gem.
on 11 November 2007
I read this in preparation for CELTA and subsequently when reviewing what I was doing in my classes. Useful. NB Much more practical than Harmer's 'The Practice of English Teaching', which is a dreadful book...
on 1 December 2009
I thought this book was very good. The DVD is great if you are studying by correspondence course. It is good to learn about class room scenarios and how to handle situations.
on 20 January 2006
This is a very overated book,
For anyone with a basic command of the English language, much of the content is unnecessary. Whilst many CELTA and TESOL courses imply you this book is an essential , it really is not. I felt the price was far to high for a softback book which gives little practical advice or materials for teaching. On finishing my TESOL 4 week course i promptly sold the book and was glad to be shut of it to be honest.
22 Comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 February 2012
The DVD which comes with the book, is really good, easy to use, with short sections which you can use when you have little time to read the whole book.
on 16 June 2010
This book is a good introduction but does not go into enough depth of detail to be able to be useful. I'd say if you were buying a book this would be a gentle introduction into the world of ESL rather than a golden shiny book in which you can consider to be a bible of sorts.