Customer reviews

on 16 July 2005
Good grief Thermodynamics is difficult. I did an Eletrical and Electronic Engineering degree but in my first year had to study general engineering. Whilst I didn't want to do anything much other than electronics, the first year was OK with the exception of thermodynamics.
Mechanical engineering was OK, manufacturing engineering was OK, materials was OK, thermodynamics I just could not understand no matter what the lecturers threw at me.
In despair before the exam I got hold of this book and it was a lifesaver. It describes concepts from the basics in an incredibly easy way to follow and will take anyone from no knowledge to a decent enough level without too much effort.
Not sure how much value it would be to people who are good at thermodynamics - I scraped through the exam and have never thought of it again!
on 4 September 2016
The item is as good as new, reached in time. A valuable book for thermodynamics, covers all the fields in details, would detonatly recommend for beginners as well as advance readers. Bought this for an NGO which sends books to Pakistan for students who can't afford expensive books.
on 18 July 2007
I used this as my course book over 40 years ago. I still have it, even though I have not worked in engineering since I graduated.It is one of my good memories . I remember it as one of the best written books I ever used. It was outstanding. It is still used in many universities in the UK and I once met a lecturer in Canada who recommended it.

I was lucky enough to be taught by the late Alan McConkey. He was as good as the book.

Some books are published in new editions even after the death of the original author(s)(E.G. Frank Wood's Accounting). "Eastop McConkey" deserves to go on. (Hopefully Tom Eastop is still alive!). Nov. 2011, He is:
[...]

[...]
on 17 June 2004
I was taught this subject some 30 years ago. Although I have now obtained my PhD(also many years ago)I still refer to this book. As stated by other reviewers it is probably one of the best written books on thermodynamics - a must all students in thermodynamics.
on 10 March 2010
I've just finished the last question of the last chapter of this book. It's taken nearly a year, but I've had a crack at nearly all the end-of-chapter questions. I found it was levelled quite well for my sort of brain power, i.e. pretty good at maths and science, but certainly not exceptional. The questions are certainly very challenging, but usually not impossible. You would need to get hold of the booklet, Thermodynamics and Transport Properties of Fluids, by G.F.C. Rogers and Y.R.Mayhew to do these. I didn't mind that as I quite enjoyed searching through the tables and referencing them across. It made a lot of the questions like very hard sudoko puzzles (I also bought Enthalpy-Entropy Diagram for Steam by D.C. Hickson and F.R.Taylor, but I didn't find this such good value, especially as it's difficult to photocopy and I didn't want to draw on mine). The chapters have plenty of examples throughout, and there is usually one you can refer to while attempting the questions. Each chapter's material and examples are arranged quite systematically with respect to the questions, so you don't have to hunt around too hard. The main exception to this was chapter 7 on combustion, which I found impossible. Some of the topics covered may not be strictly thermodynamics, including the chapters on nozzles and jet propulsion, and the chapter on heat transfer. Apart from the chapter on combustion, I found these the most difficult in the book. The chapter on heat transfer is enormous. I'm sure I spotted a few little mistakes in the text, but very few. My biggest problem with the book was that, in the first few chapters, it generally defined work and heat in terms of internal energy, i.e. Q+W = U2-U1; however, it then started referring to work and heat in terms of enthalpy, i.e. Q+W = H2-H1, and I don't think it explained why, leaving me somewhat perplexed.
on 8 February 2001
As an engineering student, i have found this book to be invaluable. It contains plenty of worked examples and clear, concise explanations. A must buy for anyone studying thermodynamics.
on 26 February 2002
This book is probably one of the best engineering books I have ever come across. The author takes his time to explain each concept, before engaging the reader in a series of increasingly complex problems, this is an absolute must for any engineering student who wishes to master thermodynamics
on 21 February 2015
Works great. Really helped me out when I was struggling with thermodynamics in university. Was very surprised at the delivery of this book, estimated date was between 1st February and 21st February but the book arrived on 29th January, was very pleased I have to say. Will buy from this company again when I need another book.
on 11 June 2014
Pretty much came as new. absolute bargain. would recomend to everyone on my course, but theyve already got a copy haha
on 8 February 2015
Item arrived on time and as described
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse