on 16 March 2010
Had the authors not just published "ReWork", then I would have given this 5 stars.

However, having just read the two books back-to-back, I would say that "ReWork" includes pretty much all the key points from Getting Real, plus more material.

If you've not read ReWork, buy it instead of this one.

If you have just read ReWork, don't particularly expect to learn additional things from Getting Real.
29 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 7 December 2014
When I read it several years ago, it definitely influenced the way I work.

By the way, you can get the PDF version of it for free, by joining the *37signals's mailing list. Just Google "37signals getting real" or something similar, and you'll find the book's landing page.

*although they now call themselves "Basecamp", the book's landing page still calls them 37signals
on 13 February 2013
Great book, also enjoyed their other book called rework.
While both books are similar in philosophy, I still got something extra with this book too.
on 31 October 2013
It has about 7 years old, i think, but it fits perfectly the current times.
Very nice book for startup web developers.
Very easy to read.
on 25 June 2010
Was recommended this book by a friend who actually presented on the concepts at a conference. It's inspired me to say the least - Jason Fried has put into words all of the things I've always wanted to say and have believed deep down. I just thought I was the only one!

It's inspired me so much, our next web venture is being built on these principles.

If you'd like to see this venture unfolding - we've decided to write an online diary of our experiences from first dinner (to our first million?)...

Search for it "watch us getting real" in quotes in Google and you'll find it.

If you're even half considering setting up a business (online or otherwise) - buying this book will be the best money you'll ever spend.

Mark.
on 16 August 2010
Good book - great tips that advise you to concentrate of the most important things of both your work ethic and your business ethic - concentrate of the stuff that must be done rather thann all the other stuff that would be nice in the long run but are not necessary things that are important and considered a waste of time. Like the tips on how to organise your coding as well as how to organise your work prioritise. Would also recommend the otgher book REWORK as I also found that really good.Would happily recommend this to anyone.
on 2 August 2010
This book will only take you half a day to read, but it is half a day of your life that is worth investing. If you are building and distributing web applications, then this book is a bible of what you should and shouldn't do. It is all too common to get dragged down into the rich feature set on version 1 of your application and this book, amongst other things, guides you down the righteous path of saying no to feature bloat.

I will be going back to this book time and time again, not only because it is such an easy read, but because it is so relevant to the programming world I work in.
on 6 August 2010
So this is just a tipoff -- don't buy Getting Real if you already have read and own Rework.

I love Rework, I've read it 2.5 times and I'm telling my friends about it .... so it was disappointing to find that Getting Real is basically the older version of the same book.

So keep reading and using Rework - but save your money

PS ... if you're trying to decide which is better ... then buy Rework
6 people found this helpful
on 23 August 2008
If I could give this book ten stars I would.

The whole ethos of the book and the company lifts off the page. I would not hesitate to recommend this book to anyone in business. Being a sortware developer is not a necessity to read this book. All you have to be is human and live in the real world.

Getting real is the only way to go. Everything else in business is just stamp collecting to paraphrase Ernst Rutherford.

Get it. Read it. Then just do it.
2 people found this helpful