Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 March 2002
The Eternal is at the top of my favorite book list where it has remained for the past 3 years. Its story instantly grabs you and keeps you hooked as every new horrific event unfolds. On one level the story deals with love and friendship and their loss but also the fight between good and evil. The characters are vivid and come alive (or die!) as you read. I still have a haunting image of The Eternal in my mind. A story which constantly keeps you guessing with new twists all the way through. Highly recommended.
on 28 November 2015
One of Mark Chadbourn's earlier novels when he was writing more horror than fantasy. It is a great story and pretty gruesome. Annie is the key to defeating the Eternal but she has limited time to do so. All the while Wilde, as he is known, is destroying her village, and peeling back the layers of the local people and their true natures. She joins forces with Severin, an enigmatic American who has been chasing Wilde for 5 years. I liked Severin a lot as a character, very interesting and well written. As I said at the start it is one of his earlier works and the style is different. A mark (no pun intended) of a great author to be able to adapt styles to the genre and it has a slightly retro feel to it, like I was reading an old James Herbert - this is a very good thing in my opinion. In fact if you like classic James Herbert then you will certainly like this. If you like Chadbourn's other books then this certainly won't disappoint. My four stars is not a reflection on the book but the job Amazon has done translating it to ebook. There were enough typos in it to start to grate, at one point Annie is called Angie, day was clay, it may not bother others but as someone who reads almost exclusively on a kindle these days I thought it worth mentioning. To finish on a positive if you want a book to creep you out read The Eternal
on 19 November 2015
Having previously read several of Chadbourn's novels, I went into this with a high degree of anticipation. Mark does not disappoint, with characteristic non-stop adventure. For regular Chadbourn readers I would mention that this novel is a shade darker than some; a memorable tale and one which I would gladly read again.
on 6 October 2016
Another excellent book from Mark Chadbourn. I really enjoy his style of writing, and his take on modern fantasy is always interesting. The Eternal has everything you could want - a little horror, a little romance along with mysteries and fantasy.
on 17 December 2014
After reading other work by the author I bought this knowing I like how he writes, Got to the end and didn't want it to end, knowing I'd have to seek out another author to read.

Great book, thoroughly enjoyed it!
on 13 June 2016
I love everything I have read by Mark Chadbourn so expected a lot from this book. I was not disappointed. Really good.
on 25 December 2015
Good condition as stated. Arrived very quickly. Thank you.
on 18 December 2016
Loved the book but a lot of typos/ word's missing - download issues?
on 16 December 2015
Mark Chadbourn one of my favourites but this included a horrifyingly cruel scene regarding a cat, could not recommend this at all. Worl's End trilogy was SO good, this was a huge disappointment. Could not recommend. Enough cruelty in the world without adding to it for the impressionable wanna bes.