on 2 March 2015
I heard about this book though the Royal Photographic Society project, Bleeding London, so I was intrigued to read what had inspired such an unique project. It's an interesting and well written story that brings together three different characters in London. Well worth a read and it kept me thoroughly entertained till the end.
on 9 November 2010
I investigated this book because I read a quote from it in Mike Parker's Map Addict and thought it sounded interesting to say the least. The reviews on here seemed to support it (except one) so I bought it. Without spoiling the plot it's basically a story about three people whose lives cross because of their three separate 'missions' that they seek to achieve in the 'confines' of London.

It's an easy read but I didn't find it particularly amusing, certainly not laugh out loud. As the book reached its denouement I was thinking what it might be (correctly as it turns out) and how this could end up being such a great book. But in truth I found it a bit disappointing with a few unanswered questions (unless I missed something) which is not how I like a book to leave me feeling.

Still I am glad I read it and having commuted to London for a couple of years it did bring back some memories.
on 1 October 2000
Bleeding London is the ultimate read for the London freak. Nicholson describes the enormousness and enormity of London with a mix of pleasure and disgust. Here we see the sadness, the gloom, the wit, the danger and the sheer weirdness of the city. The plot is mainly driven by a series of revenge visits on six yuppies, who may - or may not - have perpetrated an atrocity against a young woman. This is all interspersed with musings, historical tableaux, the art of sexual geography, and London's answer to walkabout: one character is walking the A-Z. Excellent stuff.
on 16 May 2014
I've long been awaiting the release of this on Kindle - and how! Well done those who made it possible. You know who you are!

Perfect timing to commemorate the launch of the Royal Photogtaphic Society (London Region) project of the same name to have every street in London (all 73,000 of them) photographed by Londoners! The very streets that one of the main characters in the book, Stuart London, walked during Geoff's brilliant tale of retribution - and a lot more. No spoilers here. Go read it. It wasn't a Whitbread Prize nominee for nothing.
on 25 May 2014
I loved this book from start to finish, it's witty, interesting and a darn good read.
I downloaded this for my Kindle after joining the photo project [...] which has been inspired by the character Stuart London's urge to walk every street in the A-Z. I thought I'd identify with this character the most, but I found him to be a bit of a weed, I loved the Mick character though, he's all heart and violence with a strong moral code he discovers a love of the streets of London after arriving in the city to attempt to put right a wrong. It's an easy book to read, and had me laughing out loud in several places. Brilliant book, and now I'm working my way through Geoff Nicholson's other works.
on 31 May 2015
Overly complex and contrived, with characters weaving in and out and the timeline moving back, catching up and then forwards. Too many strands for my taste with the fashionable lack of resolution at the end which drives me mad. But the passion for walking comes through, which it seems is the author's love, and interesting facts about London learnt.
on 26 September 2000
Three stories are told in tandem, and eventually cross (ala Pulp Fiction) with predictably dire consequences. By far the most compelling idea in the book is that of a former London tour-guide's obsessive attempt to walk along every street on the A-Z, crossing them out as he goes along.
Bleeding London is packed with amusing insights into historical London. However, the best moments are the author's own observations about walks, conversations and obsessive behavior.
A little over-complicated, but certainly worthwhile read nonetheless.
on 18 November 2015
Great cover artwork but nothing else positive to say. I really regret spending the money and time on this book. The reviews on the back use the words 'clever' and 'witty'. One even reckons the 'comic lines' will make you 'laugh out loud'. Really??? I regard this as one of the most tiresome heaps of drivel I've ever read. So many great books out there to cheer oneself up with though.
on 7 April 2000
This is the second Nicholson I've read, bought on the strength of the first. The structure of the novel is familiar enough, but well executed; a diverting look at the City that has been my home for nearly 30 years. There are moments of near 'Grand Guignol' but these are not gratuitous. I enjoyed it sufficiently to buy another 3 Nicholson novels.
on 17 March 2001
Bleeding London, which has a combination of sex and violence with wit, will definitely make you laugh out loud.
It tells the story of three freaks in London. One is so determined to have sex in every part of London; one has decided to walk every street of the capital then kills himself; and the villain who is out for revenge against six yuppies, who (apparently) raped his stripper girlfriend.
If you get a chance to read this book, it will keep you hooked and begging for more and boy, you're in for a big surprise!!