on 5 January 2015
Recommended by friends, as are most of the fantasy stories I've read, so I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. Good and bad, and everything in between, loyalty, love, beliefs and what one would be prepared to do/endure/suffer because of it. Original concept about metals. Fascinating story, can't stop reading.
on 13 August 2014
Incredible, imaginative fantasy series. Brilliant story, fantastic characters, witty dialogue. Probably the best fantasy series I have read. It's been many years since I stayed up all night reading - I thought it was something I had grown out of. Clearly I just haven't been reading the right books.
on 19 January 2012
I jumped on these when I heard that Sanderson was the heir to Robert Jordan, and all I can say is WOW! This is definitely a guy to be watched! With good well developed characters, a strong and intriguing plotline, and some pretty twisty twists and turns, the Mistborn trilogy is definitely worth more than just a read! It's a keeper! Will definitely be buying more of his books (and have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed his Wheel of Time books as well - almost better than Jordan if I dare say so...)
on 27 October 2013
The series starts well with the first book introducing some interesting characters and a decent magic system. However it quickly gets bogged down in Twighlight-lite romance and as the series progresses things go down hill to the point where you might struggle to finish the books. Might suit a teenager or young adult though, but otherwise I'd recommend giving it a miss.
on 23 April 2015
Loved everything about these books! Excellent story, brilliant characters and amazing twists and turns, can't recommend this trilogy enough!!
on 16 April 2015
All the adult books by this author are brilliant, full of unique ideas. Couldn't put these books down until they were finished. More please.
on 8 January 2015
The Mistborn series is set in a dark world that is known as the Final Empire, which is surrounded by ashes and mysterious mist instead of clear sky. The world is ruled by the evil Dark Lord who gained an unimaginable power and ruled the world for 1000 years . He divided society into two: the skaa(the poor/workers) and nobility (the rich) and for many generation every attempt had failed to get rid of him. We follow a bunch of interesting protagonist throughout the series but the main one is a 16-years old Vin who is among the skaa.

Sanderson developed his characters in such a remarkable way and that each and every one of them plays an important role in the story. The way he also portrait history, legend and religion were very fascinating and at the same time beautiful. One of the most thing that intrigued me in the mistborn world aswell was: The Magic system. It is anything I have ever read about. These unique magic were called the Allomancy. Were a person consume a metal and for them to get power they burned it.

Each book slowly unravels the mystery and answers the question that you’ve been asking yourself. Sanderson did in such clever way that even if the answer is soo obvious until you've seen in the page, you would never have thought of it. Toward the end, once you’ve reached the hero of ages, you see how everything links together from the first book.

The Mistborn series is just a masterpieces. With a unique magic system, epic conclusion and amazing characters you will not be disappointed by the end of it. I Highly recommend to any one who want to read a good fantasy series.

Plot: ★★★★★
Character:★★★★★
Writing:★★★★★
Ending★★★★★
Overall Enjoyment:★★★★★
on 5 March 2014
His name came to my attention when reading the last few volumes of "The Wheel of Time" series. He makes a pleasant read.
on 3 August 2012
I avidly followed this series as it was written, but my advice is to buy and read the first novel before committing to a boxset - it works out at around the same price.

There has been a resurgence in fantasy literature over the last couple of years with plenty of new talent (Joe Abercrombie, Scott Lynch, Peter V Brett, Patrick Rothfuss....) writing gritty, realistic and grounded fantasy. Sanderson really should belong to this group.

Brandon Sandersons first Mistborn novel is nothing short of excellent - great characters, great plot and real imagination and innovation behind its concepts. The problem, for me, was that books 2 and 3 of this trilogy just dragged on and on and on. They just feel totally superfluous and written because the publisher demanded them. Whilst their timeline moves on, the characters do not evolve at all. It becomes fantasy by numbers I'm afraid.

If you are a fan of the Matrix, you will know what I mean when I say that you should know when to end a briliiant story......

Disappointing.
on 22 February 2015
Perfectly constructed story. Everything ties together in the end. The product is nicely presented.