Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 November 2013
OMG! first of all let me make it clear that I love this universe and all the characters, the Good (Elena and the Guild Hunters)the Bad (Ass)(The Angels and Vamps) and even the Ugly (Jeffrey. Elena's disapproving and estranged Daddy) and as such I have been looking forward to this book since Nalini announced this on her blog 18 months ago, and I am happy to to say it did NOT Disappoint in ANY WAY!

Archangel's Legion continues with the theme that things are changing, and not always for the good. It starts with the 'Falling' which initially is thought to be a dark rolling thunder cloud, but turns out to be birds dropping from the sky, followed closely by Angels falling to earth. This sets up the tension as what the 'cascade' will bring next and also to which other Archangel wields such power that they covet Raphael's territory by making subtle and not so subtle threats against Raphael and his Consort Elena. It's not only Angels at risk, but the Vampire's are being devastated by a disease..

Raphael and Elena race against time to prevent utter destruction within their hold, and whilst this is all happening, Raphael finds himself having strange dreams, and dealing with anger and a personality shift which frightens his beloved Elena.

Nalini is a master at weaving stories that keep the reading engaged and guessing as to what will happen next, she makes you care about the all the characters, old and new and also she has the very clever knack of making you re-look at someone behaviour and question what you thought you knew about them and their motives...

All the villains are present and correct, Micheala as narcissistic and insincere as ever and Lejaun the Mad as a Hatter Archangel of China, who now thinks of herself as a living God. Both these women (Archangels) continue to be a thorn to the happy couples side, and as the disasters mount in New York, could they and the other Archangels be in league?

You can see that Elena and Raphael grow with each new book, Elena testing the limits and boundaries of what it means to be a baby Angel, and to have a relationship with the most powerful being in America, and Raphael has gone from being utterly cold and ruthless, devoid of humanity, to someone who is willing to allow the possibility that Elena makes him more human, and he is Okay with that, which ironically is not so Okay with Elena, but if you want to know why then you need to pick up this book and read it.

I cannot wait for the next chapter in this series, and more recently Nalini has announced there will be more books featuring Elena and Raphael as well as the Seven. Oh what can I say about them? We have met the Vampire Dmitiri(Raphael's second in command and best friend) who now is happily married to Honor (but still a total bad ass, the playful but lethal Angel Illium (Elena favourite loveable Bluebell), warrior Angel Galen (mated to Angel Jessemy and is Raphael's Master at Arms,)fragile and broken Warrior Angel Aodhan (a recent transplant to New York from the refuge where he has essentially been hiding after traumatic events hinted in his past), Raphael's Spy Master Angel Jason (who is now living with his beloved Angel Princess Mahiya) The Vampire Venom who can hypnotise with his snake eyes, and is now working alongside Galen in the Angel refuge)and finally the mysterious Vampire Naasir, who we got a fleeting glimpse of in book one, finally makes his appearance in this book, and I for one can't wait to know more about him as the series continues.

As always when I'm reading a great book, I never want it coming to end, but all good things must..the silver lining is that Nalini is a fast writer so hopefully in another 18 months, I'll be reading the further adventures in the Guildhunter series.
on 4 November 2013
This series keeps coming, each book moving smoothly into the next. One part of me doesn't want them to end but when it happens I hope it's a real humdinger!
This book has Elena finding out why her father is so anti Hunter and it's a revelation. It sees her taking her role as consort to the next level when war is declared on Manhattan's skyline.
New powers evolve with the start of the cascade for all the cadre, but Elena protects her archangel as his powers rise with an amazing outcome.
Sadly I have finished it so it looks like I have to read the whole series again. Oh Nalini, put us out of our misery and write the short story for Ashwini and her French vampire please!
on 24 November 2013
Nalini singhs series just keeps getting better and better cannot wait for next one not sure which of her series or worlds l like best but would like to say keep up the good work.As l have come to expect from this writer another brilliant book her character and world building are amazing and l find myself coming to know her characters and love to see them and find out how they are doing another wonderful story and wonderful read
on 29 March 2017
I love this author. The world building is superb. And every story adds more layers. The characters step off the page. The pace is perfect. The plot and story arcs are consistently exciting and coherent. Even the sexy bits are well woven, balanced, and true to the characters. I will continue to buy every book in this series.
on 8 May 2017
Yet another great book in series about developing relationship between Elena and Raphael and battle with Lijuan fascinating dynamics with seven
on 4 September 2014
As always, once I started I couldn't put it down until I had finished it. It was really good to get a storyline devoted to Elena and Raphael again and the whole plot moved on rapidly. Can't wait for the next instalment.
on 3 November 2013
Such an exciting series and just keeps getting better. What an adventure for Raphael and Elena, it's one of those series that you never want to end.
on 18 August 2017
Love the books Nalini Singh writes and this is great
on 16 January 2014
I have read all nalini singh guild hunter series and this is on same level incorporating suspense, romance and flowing stories into books you do not want to put down until you finish.
It's no secret that I've become a bit of a Nalini Singh fan girl since I discovered the Guild Hunter series, I'm slowly working my way through her Psy-Changeling books too and really enjoying them but Raphael and Elena will always have a special place in my heart. Because I'm such a huge fan I always have very high expectations when I pick up a new Nalini Singh book and I'm always slightly nervous that I've built the series up so much in my memory that it can't possibly live up to them. Thankfully NS never fails to not just meet but completely surpass my expectations though and with every single book she just makes me love her writing more.

It's been a while since we had a book where Raphael and Elena were the main players and as much as I've enjoyed getting to know some of the other characters in the series I was incredibly excited to go back to my favourites. I adore everything about this couple, the way they have changed and grown together throughout the series has been incredible to watch. They still have their issues but I love that they always put each other first, they are aware of their own insecurities and personal issues, they know each other's triggers and most importantly they are willing to put in the effort needed to make a success of their relationship. They don't always agree with each other but they talk things through and even Raphael has learnt to compromise in certain situations. Elena and Raphael are both so much stronger together than they ever could be apart and their relationship is incredibly swoon worthy. I honestly think I could read 100 different books about them and not get bored!

As if spending time with Raphael and Elena wasn't enough we also get some incredibly poignant moments between Illium and Aodhan, ones that will bring happy tears to your eyes and make you even more desperate to read their stories. I'm also incredibly curious about Naasir after getting to know a bit more about him. All of Raphael's seven have a major part to play in this one along with Elena's fellow Guild Hunters so we get to catch up with a lot of familiar faces - I have no idea how Nalini Singh manages to pack so much into her stories but she does it like an expert. There are some epic fight scenes that are described so well it's almost like watching a movie (boy would I love to see this series on the big screen!) and the action is pretty much non-stop throughout.

I really don't want to say much about the plot because I think you're much better off going in knowing as little as possible to make the most of the experience. What I will say is that Archangel's Legion is a completely and utterly addictive read, it will break your heart, it will make you laugh out loud, you'll be shocked, horrified, angry and upset one minute then ecstatically happy and swooning the next. One thing you won't be able to do is put the book down for a single second so clear your diary before you start reading! This book is a game changer in terms of the series, it opens up so many possibilities that I can't even guess at where Nalini Singh is planning on taking us next but I do know it'll be one hell of an adventure. I think I'd have to say that Archangel's Legion is now my favourite instalment of the series and that's saying something considering how much I've loved the previous books. I honestly can't recommend this series highly enough to paranormal romance and urban fantasy fans, it really is essential reading!