on 7 June 2013
At its heart, this book is essentially a two-hander between Kaleb Krychek and Sahara Nightstar. Having said that, this is the book where the Psy/Changeling world changes.
The arc and threads that have been built up by Nalini Singh are beautifully brought together - and Nalini Singh does not drop the ball, or short change her readership.
Questions are answered - some as just a throwaway line, others as a breathtaking shocker.
The last few books have been very Changeling-centric, so it's a lovely change to be very firmly in Psy territory - where the Psy world is about to change beyond recognition.
Are there plotholes - well, perhaps. But I don't read romance to nitpick, I read it to be entertained - And I certainly was !
I'm so looking forward to the next development in the Psy/Changeling Universe - Roll on Aden/Vasic/Alice and Xavier - I can't wait.
on 2 July 2013
As tired and overused as this phrase may be in reviews, I don't think I can avoid using it -I really enjoyed this book.

if you're new to the series, you should definitely begin at the start with Slave to Sensation. As romance novels go, these are pretty good, the titles are what you'd expect, the characters are usually very intelligent and make intelligent, adult decisions. The books are easy to read in that respect. I've never found myself cringing at any passages or rolling my eyes in disgust as I have with some novels.

But if you set aside the romance, the actual plot lines of the books are what really grab me. The thought and the imagination behind it all, the subtle political machinations in the background, the way the world is slowly changing. The difference between the experienced minds carefully chipping away at the chaos and the newcomers bludgeoning away at it.

I must admit, by and large I don't read these books for the romance any more. It's not that I don't enjoy it, because I do. I love the characters and I loved this pair in particular -I've always had a soft spot for characters who have slightly more ambiguous motives. But I am more intrigued by what shifts are coming. Who will come to power. Even at the end of this story, where titanic shifts have happened, I cannot see a clear or easy resolution. And so I will keep reading...
on 9 June 2013
I am a huge fan of Nalini Singh's works, and to date I have read everything this talented lady has written...Her latest Psy/Changeling series is Heart of Obsidian, which is Kaleb's book.

The Psy/Changeling world is set in an alternate universe and have 3 major players, they are the Changeling packs who are animal shape shifters, such as Leopards and wolves (who are the main characters of her books), then you have the Humans, who are ordinary, and finally you have the Psy who are human, but have extraordinary powers like telepathy, telekinesis and so much more, but in order to survive they have to link minds with each other creating the Psynet...and for the last 100 years, they have chosen to go 'Silent' in other words cut out those pesky human emotions like empathy, love, jealousy, kindness and sexual relations. But by doing this, flaws are starting to show, whereby some Psy are in pain, having to hide the fact that their silence is broken, while others, become mad and experience psychotic behaviour...If These individuals are discovered they have been brain wiped in the past.

In this book we learn more about the Psy world, and get an in depth almost exclusive take from a psy perspective (only touching on the Changeling characters either in passing, or towards the end of the book)and this book has come at a perfect time, with the story Arc having been built up throughout the rest of the series, and with the emergence of the Deadly Pure Psy movement, who will stop at nothing to make the Psy race the top dog, and the biggest threat, and that includes terrorism against their own kind dealing with their detractors, and those that oppose their ideals, and they don't care who is caught in the cross fire.

Kaleb Krychek is an ex counsellor (leader) of the ruling Psy council, and he has a special infinity with the 2 sides of the Psynet, the Net mind and the Dark mind, who tell him that the Psynet is dying slowly unless something changes. Kaleb has also been searching for someone for 7 years, and at the end of the previous book Tangle of Need we ended on a cliff hanger in which Kaleb finally locates the women he has been searching for..Who is this mysterious women? and what is her connection to Kaleb? Who is the Ghost? and is Kaleb on the side of Good or Evil? all these questions get answered here in this book and thankfully so, otherwise I'd have had to hunt Nalini down in New Zealand and demand answers from her...

Nalini does an excellent job in which Kaleb's character is fully rounded and we see everything from his pov, and as always the romance is so heartfelt and strong and charged, that it was impossible not to be moved as Kaleb wrestled with unknown emotions he couldn't seem to comprehend let alone identify. Nalini stayed true to Kaleb's character I'm happy to say, and didn't change him from a cold motivated Alpha to a wet loved up idiot (I hate when that happens). Nalini is a true master of writing strong characters and giving them heart without changing their core personality!

If my some bizarre reason you haven't read the Psy/Changeling series, please start at Book 1 'Slave to Sensation' as you really need to read this series in order.

I now wait with bated breath for the next instalment,unsure who the focus of her next book will be (it has to be either Aden or Vasic) but in the meantime I will have to 'make do' with Archangel's Legion which is the next book in her Guild Hunter series (also Excellent! and I urge you to start with Book One 'Angels Blood' I love me some Elena and Raphael, not to mention Dimitri, Bluebell and the rest of his seven...
on 30 May 2016
This is Kaleb Krycheck story. We find out why he survived living with an infamous Murderer and who he was searching for. Her name is Sahara and when she was five years old she stole his heart and would not let go. She is Psy, whose Silence was broken but he never told because she liked him and saw when he had been hurt and tried to make him feel better. Sahara has been in a physical prison and one in her mind for seven years. As he helps her heal, all parties must band together to protect the innocent against the Pure Pay. I have given only four stars as the other main characters are storylines are not really progressed further. But another good read.
on 9 December 2015
This was one riveting and exciting book. I was totally blown away, dark and sensual. Kaleb and Sahara were super, I enjoyed their mystery and how they met. Going back and forth was exciting, because you got to see more into the cold hearted man called Kaleb who actually was not so cold. A very good read, that I could not put it down. I would give this ten stars if I could, I would recommend anyone this interesting and engrossing. Nalini is a good writer, her words flow with unpredictable elegance. Worth every penny and now am purchasing the next in line.
on 15 July 2013
Nalini Singh has created a brilliant tale for Kaleb and Sahara, It was a tremendous storyline from both points of view. He always seemed almost irredeemable, a man of such focused ambition, who appeared cruel and calculating in the extreme. His childhood experiences were disturbing to read about. Being the protégée of Councillor Enrique Santana created a man of incredible strengths with what appeared to be a core of pure steel, cold and lacking any appearance of real humanity, and yet over the series, he was certainly a contender for the role of The Ghost. So who was he really? His redemption came via Sahara, and over the course of the book Nalini took us back to how they first met, the bond that formed, the horrors that both survived and Kaleb's persistent and dogged search for her.
Sahara's experiences too, were horrendous, she survives by burying her true spirit, her essence, deep deep in her psyche where no one can reach. Her recovery made interesting reading, and the developing relationship between the two was really well written, with lots of surprises along the way.
All in all a brilliant read. Looking forward to the next story, which appears to be about Vasic. Can't wait!.
on 6 June 2013
I never fail to enjoy a Nalini Singh book and Heart of Obsidian was no exception. Many questions were answered in this book which I was glad of as sometimes if a revelation or under-lying story is too delayed I begin to lose interest. The suspense was built perfectly by the previous books without over doing it, now I feel my patience has been rewarded and I look forward to seeing what happens in the fallout from this book.
This series has so many fantastic characters each unique and individual meaning that I always hotly anticipate the release of a new Psy-Changeling book knowing how unlikely it is that I'll be disappointed. This book having been perfectly set up in Tangle of Need does not fail to deliver and many things come together.
This is a book that moves the over-all story arc forward considerably without compromising on the development of the relationship between Kaleb and his heroine. For me this book should read as part of the series rather than stand-alone in order to understand the events taking place which are a key part of the story. An exciting addition to an already fantastic series I can't wait to see what happens next in this world as a result of the events in Heart of Obsidian.
on 5 August 2016
This is what we all been waiting for. The civil war within the psy and we get to love council or Kaleb even more.

Learning about his past and feeling his emotions and love. I can't wait to read more about him. He has been my favourite from the start.

Five stars.
I don't think I even have the words to say how much I loved Heart of Obsidian, it's definitely a new favourite book from this series and it went up against some serious competition to win that spot. I have been fascinated with Kaleb since we first met him, the seemingly cold councillor has always left me with the impression that there is a molten core underneath that icy exterior but I couldn't even have begun to guess how much I would come to love him as I read this book.

Kaleb grew up in hell, raised by a monster and trained from a young age to ignore any kind of pain or suffering. He is an incredibly powerful Cardinal who clawed his way onto the Council and was determined to do anything to take complete control of the Psy-Net. Now his goal is in sight but there is a rot that is spreading through the net, one that could destroy the Psy if it isn't stopped. Kaleb is the only one who is capable of saving the net but there is only one reason for him to save the Psy and that is the woman who was stolen from him and hidden seven years ago. Kaleb has spent years searching for Sahara and she is finally within his reach but she has spent those missing years suffering the worst kind of torture and there may not be much of her mind left to save.

I don't really want to say too much more and risk spoiling the story to anyone who hasn't read this book yet. Don't let the lack of words fool you though, this really is the best book in the series and it took me on a complete emotional roller coaster. Kaleb and Sahara have a history that goes back to their childhood but it's a history of shared pain and suffering. They have both been through terrible things but have become even stronger because of that and I loved every minute of their journey. The flashbacks of their childhoods were heartbreaking but that just made seeing them reconnect in the present even more beautiful, there is a raw passion between them that shows the emotional connection that was forged when they were children and that bond comes back stronger than ever now they're adults.

Kaleb is a dangerous man, someone who could have come across as cold but he would do anything for Sahara, he would burn the world to the ground to protect her but he would also save it if she asked him to. I think one of the most heartbreaking things about Kaleb is that he is unable to see the good inside himself, he has done some incredibly selfless things but he never takes credit for those. It is much easier for him to see himself as a monster and it takes Sahara's faith to show him the good he has done. I love that they accept each other so completely - both the good and the bad - neither of them judges the other they just stand side by side prepared to fight for each other and their relationship. My heart broke for the children they should have been but I cried tears of happiness for the adults they have become.

The last few books have been mainly focused on the Changelings but with Silence on the verge of collapsing and Pure-Psy doing anything to try and maintain it we knew we were going to see some major upheaval for the Psy-Net. This book really does start to mix things up a bit and it's going to be really interesting to see how the Psy react to the latest developments. Can they find a way past Silence or has the rot that is spreading through the net caused irreparable damage? We may not see as much of the Changelings in this book but we do get a chance to catch up with a few old faces and I was so fascinated with what was going on with Kaleb and Sahara that I didn't really have time to miss the others. It made a nice change for the focus to be on the Psy and I think one of the strengths of this series is that there are so many different characters and races for us to spend time with.

If you're a fan of the series and haven't got to Heart of Obsidian yet then I really don't know what you're waiting for. This is a must read instalment and one that I'm sure fans will adore. If you haven't discovered these books yet then I can't recommend them highly enough. Nalini Singh has become my favourite author for a reason, both the Psy-Changeling and her Guild Hunter books are absolutely wonderful. She is a master at creating detailed worlds, fantastic characters and brilliant romances and I will never be able to get enough of her writing.
on 1 July 2013
The four instead of 5 star rating is because I found this book a little on the claustrophobic side somehow, perhaps because it is so very focussed on the Psy protagonists who live in their heads such a lot. Having read the rest of the series, I did miss the more open air changelings and the cheery banter and pranks that formed the background even to the growing threat to world stability.

That being said, the underlying story arc progresses in an absorbing manner, many loose ends are neatly dealt with, and the scene is set for yet more intriguing developments despite some of the "baddies' being firmly sorted out.

The central couple are not at all like previous pairs in the series, being far more obviously damaged by early and sustained abuse. How they come together and overcome this background is well thought out in the context of the world in which they live, and Nalini Singh has come up with some convincing scenarios - just what could happen if a wild, extreme telekinetic let loose in the throes of passion?! And some of her ideas are just so decadent - imagine being able to teleport fresh, warm pastries into your kitchen for breakfast. I like the way the author thinks through even these simple things, not just the big ol' lift shattered buildings off casualties gestures. Makes for a rounded and satisfying universe.