Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 September 2009
Well if you are reading Dreamfever or planning to, chances are high you have already read the previous fever books, and may even know Karen Monings highlander series. So without any further ado, here is 5 stars.

This was a treat to read. Barrons and Mac finally combust on the pages. Eventhough the author has done this so cleverly we may infact get another "first" time in the last book. I certainly hope so, because Mac deserves the choice.
Mac has set her sights on the Abbey and what the sidhe seers can accomplish if they stop hiding in the abbey, but to get them going, she needs to wrestle with Rowena.

Mac is pretty pissed off at the two "heroes" in her life, who never got arround to saving her from the unseelie princes, so she is setting down some new ground rules, oh and did I mention there are some side effects to being pria - certain immunities, that a certain fay prince wont be too happy about *grin*

And finally, it seems that Karen likes to drop us off at cliff hangers here towards the end of the series. As she did with the previous book, so she does with this one. But I dont mind. She has remained true to her characters, true to the story, and delivers on her promises. Everything you have been wondering about is adressed which is really all one can ask for as a fan of the series.
on 7 September 2009
I read this back to back after Faefever so didn't suffer too much with the cliffhanger (about 10 seconds). However Ms Moning tortures the reader by cleverly writing in all sorts of further cliffhangers and another biggy at the end, so it's going to be a long wait for the final book. The previous reviewer's comments are just right so I won't repeat those, but this book IS the one we've been waiting for, finally, for more info on Barrons and of course the long awaited answer to the will-they, won't they, Mac-JZB ignition. All of that makes for a fantastic start to the book, but you just know Mac will have to suffer again later and written from Mac's first person view, her need to endure at several points come across as quite heartbreaking. That said, I loved this book.
on 31 July 2012
This series just keeps getting better and better.. is that even possible? Yes it is! Although writing a review for this or any book in the series has been quite difficult as there are so many plot twists and turns I am afraid to give something away in the review.

As with the previous books they all run into each other and little to no time is lost in the transition. With many series books I have to say again, I am so glad I read these once they were all released. I would have died a few times already if I actually had to wait around for the next book to be published.

The first 15% of this book is.. HOT. There is other way of saying it. Just wow. I didn't want it to end but sadly it did. But then I was full of so many different emotions throughout and the end!?! Talk about a cliffhanger. I even had to start book five before I could come back here and write this review. Couldn't stop for a minute.

I would strongly recommend this series to anybody.
on 5 January 2016
This is a great series of books which I found hard to put down. I've read the first five and will review them collectively. The synopsis can be found elsewhere, but I really liked Mac (the female protagonist) and I thought the grief she experienced over losing her sister was complex and well executed. Her relationship with the men in her life was intriguing and all of the characters were written with both light and dark characteristics. The author sometimes wrote the POV in both past and present tense which I found a little odd, but the story line was so compelling that it wasn't a distraction. My only other niggle is that there were quite a few Americanisms (and I don't mean Dani O'Malley who was trying to emulate Mac) for example here in the UK we don't use the term 'candy bar' or celebrate Halloween in quite the same way as Americans do which indicates a lack of research by the author. However, I admit to being super fussy, so a four (and a half) star rating is praise indeed. Definitely worth a read!
on 10 August 2011
If you've read the Highlander books don't be fooled into thinking this is the same, but just more about the fae. I was halfway through the first book when I realised this and was wondering why the story was not moving quicker...Duh. I've read so many paranormal romance type books in this past couple of years that I'm struggling to find new authors to read. This was like nothing I've ever read. I wish they would make a tv series.

WOW, the first section of this book between JB and Mac is so well written it gave me butterflies. As the rollercoaster continues, we meet JB's group, there are 9 altogether, just like him ( somebody catch me!) All I can say is the begining gave me busterflies and the end had me going Nooooooo!!!

I dare you not to be obsessed with Jericho Barrons, he really isn't a nice guy, but I'm still obsessed with him now, and I've read all 5 books twice. I won't spoil the plot, you'll recognise some characters and references from the highlander series, But I will say this, miss moning is not afraid to turn you inside out and upside down! I would definately recommend buying books three, four and five together because of the cliffhanger endings!
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did and if anyone can recommend something I would be eternally grateful, I love J R Ward, Kresely cole, Larrissa Ione, Lara Adrian, Gena Showalter and some of the Carparthian series. I'm now really stuck!
4.5 Stars

Bloodfever is the fourth book in Karen Marie Moning's Fever series starring Sidhe-Seer MacKayla Lane so this review may contain spoilers for the previous books. The story picks up right after the ending of Faefever - the walls between the Fae and mortal realms have failed allowing the unseelie prisoners to escape and leaving Dublin under attack. Worse still Mac has been turned pri-ya by the unseelie princes and has become completely obsessed with her physical needs not even able to remember her own name. Can she come back from the brink of madness to help put a stop to the Lord Master's plans?

I've been really enjoying the Fever series but I have to say I think Dreamfever was my favourite instalment yet. I'm so relieved that I already have my copy of Shadowfever though because the cliffhanger would probably have killed me if I had to wait a year for it! Poor Mac has been through so much since she arrived in Dublin and that pretty, sun loving, pink wearing & flirty young girl is no more - she has had to toughen up to cope with everything that life has thrown at her and she is now all black leather and sharp edges. You have to admire her just for surviving - I don't think many people would have the strength of character to go through everything she has and come out the other side with her sanity intact (well almost anyway lol).

It is so hard for her to know who to trust, she is afraid to even trust her own instincts any more. She feels that both Barrons and V'lane let her down by not coming to her rescue before the princes captured her and she is determined never to allow herself to rely on anyone again. I can completely understand why she feels like that but sometimes I do find myself wishing she would let people help her a bit more. I'm still desperate to find out more about Barrons - what the heck is he? - and I loved the way things played out between him and Mac in this book (particularly at the beginning of the story - I feel like I've waited FOREVER for that!).

It's been really interesting watching how things have played out with the Sidhe-Seers - I really can't stand Rowena and there were times I wanted to reach into the book and slap her but to give the wily old bird her dues she certainly knows how to play the political game and get people on her side! It was great to see the friendship between Mac and Dani grow though and I enjoyed seeing things from Dani's point of view for a few chapters at the beginning - that has made me excited about the spin off series staring her that comes out later this year (starting with Iced). I'm hoping we get to see Mac and Dani team up more in Shadowfever because I think they work so well together.

The story has been getting darker and darker with every instalment which makes for very intense reading. It's going to be very interesting to see how Karen Marie Moning finishes this part of the series - I'm really hoping that Mac gets to have some kind of happiness by the end because I think she's earned at least a bit of a break!
on 30 December 2013
Dreamfever starts off were Faefever ended. Poor Mac has been made Pri-ya, who will save her from the Fae Princes! ( not telling as would spoil your reading!).
The start of the book is somewhat disturbing and not for the faint hearted. Stay with it.
And then of course there are her two heroes Barrons and V'Lane and what part do they play.
Disturbing but a good read I couldn't put it down even though I wanted too at times!
on 1 February 2013
I am reviewing this book after I finished reading the whole series and I have to say it is definitely worth your time getting started on the series. I recommend you read them in order and do not take long break between the volumes. Not that you will have much patience anyway. Well, maybe after the first two, but not the rest.
For those of you who have read Highlander series, these book are different. Don't expect a happily ever after at the end of each volume. On the contrary. I don't want to leave that sentence hanging but I don't want to write any spoilers either, so sorry guys!
One thing I really disliked about the series are the many brand names mentioned arbitrarily throughout the text. It is such an obvious marketing attempt that I couldn't help myself but take away one star just for that reason. Other than that, and the fact that in this first book of the series, the protagonist, ie the lead female character is so fake and unlikable that I wanted to choke her. Well,it gets better later on though so, hang in there.
on 9 January 2010
when i started reading the fever series i did not think i would get into it but i have just finished marathon session and finished in 2 days i just could not put the book down and the cliff hanger is allready driving me nuts and i still have 11 months to go ahhhhhhhhh a must for any fan
on 15 February 2013
I love this series, Moning really tells a good story and the characters are great. A little repetitive at times but I understand that she does this so that those readers who have not read the whole series can follow the story. A little less sex and more plot in this series than in her highlander books I would say but that is a good thing I think, however that's not to say they're not full of sexy and passionate scenes. More blood thirsty but again that's not a negative thing. Moning really draws you in to the plot and the mystery and the characters. Can't put these books down once I start and I have read them twice nw.