Customer reviews

Twice Bitten: A Chicagoland Vampires Novel (Chicagoland Vampires Series)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 March 2014
a fantastic book in the series, I have the whole series & am an avid collector/ reader, I will continue to read these as long as I have eyes in my head!
on 15 March 2014
on 28 August 2010
Twice Bitten Book 3 is a brilliant (as is the whole series), thoughtfully written exciting urban fantasy, yes there's vampires, yes theres werewolves, feisty heroine vampire love interest etc etc but this IS different.

Merit is a beautifully crafted character (my favourite female protagonist this year), C.Ns world building & surrounding characters are delightfully individual.
The Supernatural politics, history, protagonists & inter-relationships explained without effort & interwoven ingeniously with characters & storyline that just sucks you in & carries the mind away. You live breathe & see the world.

I very nearly did not start to read this series as I thought from the cover of the first book it was just another teenage angst vampire drama.
It's for all Urban fantasy fans, I can't believe I had flipped this one off for so long because of the cover.

I strongly suggest you read Some Girls Bite & Friday Night Bites first.

Unreservedly give whole series a 5 star rating
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 September 2010
Merit and her Master vampire have a love-hate relationship. Merit isn't sure how to evolve apart from the relationship, and she's not sure she wants to try. However, something more important catches the attention of the vampire community - the arrival of the werewolves for a meeting about their future.

The Alpha werewolf extends the hand of interest to Ethan Sullivan and Merit. They attend a meeting of the werewolf clan heads, only to find tempers raging and the night ending with disaster.

Now, Ethan and Merit must act as guards for the Alpha while trying to untangle an attempted murder, as well as figuring out the future for the werewolves and thus the entire paranormal community. In a previous war, the werewolves let the vampires take on the humans. Now that the world might be on the brink of war once again, will the werewolves stay and fight, or will they disappear like they did before?

With tensions at a boiling point, Merit's having issues finding an outlet from work. Work is crazy. Her love life is a disaster. She's in a fight with her best friend. Will all these issues add up to Merit doing something reckless and endangering herself?

An adult novel from a crossover author (Ms. Neill's YA debut was FIRESPELL) and the third in the CHICAGOLAND VAMPIRES series that's hard to put down. There are so many things I love about this series, but mostly it's the relationships: Merit and her relationship with Sullivan - the snark and verbal sparring and their tension, Merit and Mallory's relationship, and Merit vs. the world.

I can't wait for the next book in the series!

Reviewed by: Jennifer Rummel
on 7 April 2017
Engaging, irreverent style though it had some flaws. This is the first book in the Chicagoland Vampires series so it deals with the turning of the main character, Merit into a vampire. The beginning of the novel is its weakness when it sets up this world where vampires are apparently an accepted element of society even though they only "came out" about 7 months previously. This backstory felt rushed as you jump into the main thrux of the book without exploring it so you essentially just have to take that part of it at faith.

Merit's character, together with the flowing tone, saves the book as she is perfectly sassy and independent. The sarcasm dripped off the page. There are holes in the explanation of her abilities as a new vampire though these will probably be fleshed out in the subsequent books in the series. Merit's best friend, Mallory felt a little two-dimensional in this book but the signs are clearly there that she will be developed at a later stage. Ethan, the love-interest and vampire that turned Merit, is exactly what you want from a vampire boyfriend - dark, brooding and unavailable! In summary, a good start and definitely worth pursuing the remainder of the series.
on 27 August 2010
This is a series of books to definitely watch out for. Twice Bitten, the third installment in the Chicagoland Vampires series, is the most entertaining addition yet and finally establishes some long awaited sexual chemistry between Merit and Ethan. Additionally, besides vampires, shifters make a pronounced entry into the series, opening up a whole new dilemma for Merit, Ethan and the gang. In the midst of all these issues, what really grabbed me about this book was that Merit is finally starting to accept her responsibility in being a vampire, whilst also maintaining that quirky sarcasm and humour that we all fell in love with in the first two novels. She is definitely starting to 'kick-ass' and, in my eyes, plays a strong competitor against other female heroines, such as Sookie Stackhouse and Anita Blake. Chloe Neill's writing is, as always, charming and well executed, but she can also clearly display Merit's conflicted feelings concerning subjects such as Ethan in a way that allows the reader to sympathize easily for the character. Overall, a great installment - and we finally discover what Merit's first name is!

Please read these books! Chloe Neill is a fabulous author who has created this fantastic set of novels. So great in fact, that after having read the first two, both with the UK cover, I simply couldn't wait for the UK release date for the third and ended up buying the US version! So go! Go now and buy these books! I mean it. Seriously.
on 17 April 2011
This is book three in the Chicagoland Vamps series, and by this point I am fully involved in the story and I have some favourite characters, and I have a curiosity about certain clues and hints I'm getting about other characters, but most importantly of all, and the thing that's keeping me flipping pages at breakneck speed, is the incredible tension- sexual and otherwise- between Ethan: Master vampire and eyebrow-archer extraordinaire; and Merit: Sentinel and all-round good guy and badass Vamp soldier for Cadogan House. The scenes with these two just sizzle, and you are clamoring for them to just get on with it already.

I'm reluctant to give to much away regarding this , but lets just say that the will be conflict in this area. Big conflict.

The storyline in this one takes us away from Celina- Master Vamp gone bad- from the first two books. Instead we find ourselves immersed in the Shapeshifter world. There has never been any great love lost between these two races, after the Shapeshifters declined (read: turned tail and ran away to hide) during the last vampire Clearings. A time when humans rose up to rid the world of the threat vamps posed by staking them all to death. Rational beings us humans, eh? Ethan, ever the opportunist, sees the current shapeshifter difficulties as a perfect time to build a bridge between these two races, united against the overwhelming number of humans, in case they decide the need for a Clearing is upon us again.

Merit is really coming into her stride in her role as Sentinel. After sorting out a little problem she had with her inner vamp, she is now unparalleled in her Katas sword work; ridiculously fast, although she does still struggle with her sparring, so Ethan decides to stop her lessons with Catcher and have her train with someone her equal and almost as fast; himself!

Overall the story was a lot more complex and fast paced than the last two. We got a lot of emotional drama and an intriguing ending. This is my favourite so far and I'm glad I only have to wait until 3rd May for the next one!
on 15 April 2011
This book had a slightly YA feel to it; although it isn't, (our protagonist is 27) it was more in the writing style, I think, and also some of the dialogue. At the time of writing this I have read the first three books, so I happen to know that this is something that improves with each book, and by book three, I no longer held that opinion.

It's based around vamps (obviously) and their feudalistic House system. Basically, whichever Master Vamp turns you (and only masters can) you then belong to his or her House. There are three Houses in Chicago, and our leading lady, Merit, is born into the only one that still drinks from the vein, and not from a blood-bank baggie. She is also ( a little predictably) not your average vamp. She displays extra speed and strength after only a few days as a vamp. Something that makes her of interest to several parties.

I also felt like the possible love story element was thrown in your face much to early on to be believable in this book. This might have contributed to the YA feel as well. However, by the end of the book, we had met several interesting characters, and had been supplied with what will ultimately be the overall storyline arc of the series. Don't expect everything to be all neatly tied up at the end of the book, because it wont be. Also, if I were being extra picky, I was a little disappointed with the climatic ending, or lack thereof. Having said that, I went straight onto the next one as by this point, I was emotionally invested in the two lead characters and their "Will they? Won't they?" storyline.
on 4 November 2010
I got this book during my summer holidays to get into different series' while I wile away the time between Karen Chances next release in the Dorina Basarab and Cassie Palmer series' and damn it if I wasn't surprised to find a new obsession.

Merit is my favourite kind of main character. Sassy, independant and real. She also doesn't follow her love interest around like a love sick puppy (one of the major issues I had characters like Bella from Twilight and Ever from the Immortal series).

When I'd heard that there was a "Team Ethan" and "Team Morgan", reminding me too much of Twilight for my liking, I have to say it put me off slightly. But after reading the first book I was hooked and absolutely HAD to read the next books in the series and her other books too. There's never a dull moment in the book and the characters have so much depth to them that it's easy to get attached to them... or maybe I'm just a slight bit crazy, either way I love this series. I would (and have) recommend it to anyone.
on 18 October 2011
This is book one in the Chicagoland Vampires Series and quite a good start to a new series. In Chicago vampires have outed themselves to the world and are trying to coexist with humans, they are split up into different houses with a master vampire at the head of each house.

Merit is the main character and she is funny, stubborn and down to earth, she comes from a rich social climbing family.Merit gets her throat ripped out by a rouge vampire and is turned to save her life by Ethan Sullivan master vampire of Cadogan house. Merit doesn't adjust to her new life well and blames Ethan for making her a vampire without her consent.

There is murder mystery and some twists throughout but the plot is very simple to me and I feel maybe this book would be more suited to YA readers. all in all I did enjoy this book and I look forward to the next: Friday Night Bites! 3.5 stars! :)