Customer reviews

Shaman of Stonewylde (Stonewylde Novels)
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 4 June 2013
So, we reach the end of the Stonewylde story - and what a way to finish this wonderful story.

These are dark times indeed. The spirit of Magus is still around, waiting for the chance to pounce, several old faces try to return and some want a return to the Hallfolk/ Villagers way of living. Yul and Sylvie are still struggling with their relationship problems - every time they seem close to working things out something else drives them apart.

The story, as ever is very involving and beautifully told. Kit Berry paints a vivid picture that makes the people and places of Stonewylde come to life - and that, for me, was the problem with this book - I kept putting it down because I didn't want to get to the end, knowing that this is the last book ever in the series.

But, eventually I bit the bullet and finished it. I was astounded, amazed, saddened and stunned. The last section of this book may well be the most wonderfully written and moving end I have ever read - after finishing the last page I think I just sat for 10 minutes or so trying to take in what had just happened.

Bravo Ms. Berry, you've done a wonderful job. The gates of Stonewylde may now be closed but I will be going back to these books for many years to come.
on 12 May 2013
A perfect ending to the best series of books I've ever read-and I've read a few in 48 years!

As a Pagan myself,I could identify with Kit's writing and characters-oh to have a Yul for a partner and Clip for a father!
If you enjoy a romance that's not sloppy or lovey dovey,set in idyllic Devon countryside,and follows a nature path or are interested in the Pagan path,then this is the series for you.I'd rank this up there with Earth's Children series by Jean M Auel-if you've read and enjoyed that series,you'll love this one-it's set in the modern day as opposed to back in the Ice Age.

Kit-I'm so glad to have found your books (and community) Thank you SO much!
on 8 November 2012
This final book in the Stonewylde series had me gripped from the beginning. Over the previous four books we have watched the character's lives unfold as they took unexpected twists and turns. The ending was a big surprise too so I am really sad that this is the final book.
VINE VOICEon 6 November 2012
There is a vipers nest at Stonewylde ready and poised to strike at the heart of the Community and strike it does but not randomly.

The Community starts to break down with petty quarrels here and there and a betrayal of all betrayals. Stonewylde is now nearly bankrupt, the people are restless and some of them wish to go back to the old ways i.e., the Hallfolk living at the house and the villagers kept 'down' and in their place. This will never happen whilst Yul, Sylvie, Clip and the rest of the Committee stand firm. There is a'mole' at Stonewylde however who has been feeding information to someone on the 'outside' and soon a old Hallfolk girl turns up at Stonewylde..........Rainbow!

Leveret has been forgiven and now lives with Clip in his tower, learning all she can from him until he leaves at Samhain. She is still bothered by Jay though, but being with Magpie so much he leaves her alone.

This really is a rollercoaster of a read taking you through a whole gamut of emotions............happiness, sadness, anger and hatred. I freely admit that I cried reading a couple of chapters.

However, the wheel of the Pagan years turns and death and life will always have their part to play because what is one without the other?

I'm sad that this is the last book but like the sacred Pentacle it must end on the number 5.

I am a practising Witch and couldn't find a single fault with this book. Kit has done her research well and I applaud her for that.

I highly recommend this book to Pagans and non Pagans alike as there is something for everyone in it.
on 23 November 2012
Still reading the final book of this series. Am loving it, as usual Kit Berry`s books are great. Would love to see it on film or TV.
on 12 November 2012
In my opinion, this last book in the series is the best. Gently drawing back the veil, we enter into the imaginary world of Stonewylde a magical place perhaps dormant in the souls of many of us without even knowing it.
Kit has the special gift of telling a story of which you really feel a part. It takes you over and you become one of the characters, your favourite one, of course.
It makes exciting, compulsive reading. I experienced so many different emotions when reading this book from chair gripping thrills to tears of joy and sadness.
I thoroughly recommend this book to you.
on 8 November 2012
I really enjoyed the four earlier books, which I read over a period of about three weeks, and then patiently waited for the final instalment. Having pre-ordered it, it arrived on the day of publication and I started to read it that evening. I was immediately hooked and read half of it before I went to bed. I was delighted to see that things were beginning to sort themselves out in Stonewylde, and put the book down for the night, anticipating a fairly standard 'happy ending'. What a surprise, then, when I continued reading the following evening! The ending was very emotional, and very in keeping with the spiritual side of the series.
I will now be watching for Kit's next book, although I can't imagine how she is going to follow such a complete and satisfying series.
on 13 November 2012
The final book was a joyous and sad day when it arrived,sad as it marked the end of the stories that have captured our imagination made us fall in love and hate such well written characters and scenery,joyous as its like going to visit old friends so well written that you feel like your in the story watching the characters you have got to know so well.the final book does not disappoint,taking us on a ride of emotions. its a book that you will not want to put down ...just one more page..one more chapter. The journeys end. there's not many storys you can re-read and not get bored with,but with kit berrys book's you can start from the beginning again and find things within the books you hadn't seen before.these are books you will never want to part with.
on 17 October 2012
The wait for this book, the final part of the series of five books ('Five, Always Five.....if you're a Stonewylder, you'll know the significance of this!) has been a long one. Since book four was launched, in August 2011, the unanswered questions have hung in the air, the other books in the series have been read again and then re-read, plots have been discussed and the days to publication of book five, Shaman of Stonewylde, have been counted down.
I obviously don't want to reveal anything of the plot, so all I will say is that in this book the author, the wonderful Kit Berry, takes her readers on a rollercoaster ride of emotions across the pages, as the story that begun with Magus ends with Shaman. The plot twists and turns and twists again and frankly I couldn't put it down: I started it at about 8pm last night and finished it at 3am this morning.
All I will say is, make sure you have a box of tissues handy throughout and be prepared to be shocked.
Yet again, Kit manages to convey her story in a way that makes it accessible to Pagans and non Pagans alike: from my perspective, a Pagan one, certain parts of the story made my skin tingle. Once again it was as if I was standing there, within the grounds of Stonewylde, a bystander not a reader.....I was there in that stone circle, on that hill, in those woods,.......it was evocative and very, very real.
However, now that I have read it, I am struggling with adequately putting into words how closing the final page in this series has made me feel.....because its simply stunning. I know that this book, like the other four, will be read and re-read time and time again and each time I will find something new, something that I somehow missed before, different layers that wait for the reader to discover them. These are not simply books, they are a phenomenon.
All that is left for me to say is, thank you Kit for the gift of Stonewylde.
VINE VOICEon 27 January 2013
Disaster has struck. Is this the end for Stonewylde? The community's golden age is over. Now, with their new business in tatters, and the increasingly estranged Clip making plans to leave for good, darkness has taken hold of Stonewylde. The only glimmer of light in the darkness is Leveret's affinity for magic and for healing is blossoming. Magpie's art, too is taking on magical qualities. However, 'Magic' is fading from their lives and as the Outside World becomes more important to their survival, so it seems that the magic may not return.

The Outside World clamours at the wrought iron gates, and the evil alliance within Stonewylde threatens to destroy everything.
 With the new business and their relationship in tatters, Yul and Sylvie find their once-beautiful world has been desecrated by the dark forces; but Stonewylde is as old as the hills themselves, and the landscape endures. Leveret has discovered her true calling and is determined to lead the community back to the golden age of magic and prosperity.

As the enchanting tale of Stonewylde draws to its end, Sylvie finally realises why she was brought here and Yul understands his true destiny. Whilst Leveret sees exactly what lies ahead for Stonewylde. Painful truths must be revealed, about past wrongs, old lies, and ongoing deceits, if broken relationships are to be mended. There are poisons which have festered for too long, and unless they are healed--and soon--the damage may prove too great to ever recover.

The last book of the Magical series and it doesn't disappoint. Kit Berry's style of writing is magical too, her description of Stoneywlyde, Dorset, and its inhabitants are perfect. She also has a clever way of dangling a carrot in front of you throughout every chapter. Sometimes one thinks the plot is going along one magical path, but then Kit very cleverly directs you down another, so you are kept thinking. It is a very emotional book with several deaths and births. The end is very sad, though it was very well written and a brilliant closure to such a wonderful series.

Even though this is the end of Stonewylde, I certainly hope it isn't the last Kit Berry book I will read..