Whilst I wasn't originally enamoured of this series its one that has grown on me over time. As such its come as a bit of a surprise for me to see how sad I was at the end of this series with so many plot lines that could have led to successive titles but the author took not only a brave step but one where he feels that they could bow out on a high.

The writing was sharp, the pace wonderful and when added to an author who has a clear love for the characters created really put his all into this final excursion.

That's not so say that it's a book without problems, far from it, as in places it did feel quite rushed but with so many plot lines to tie up that's hardly a surprise. All round a book that I had fun with and I wish Chris the best of luck with his next project. I just hope it is as good as what has gone before.
on 22 September 2013
It is rare in the realm of modern fictional literature that I find a book whose characters are interesting and genuinely likable. Then enter the The Tales of the Ketty Jay. Wooding has put together a crew of misfit criminals. They are not really smart enough to play in the big leagues and survive mostly by luck and eventually a little teamwork. As the series progresses, even the simplest member of the crew becomes complex as the reader enter their psyche and learns about their haunted pasts. After developing these characters, the Ace of Skulls gives them the conclusion that they deserve. The finale is full of the action, close calls, and big reveals that the series has been leading to. Those who have been fans of the series will not be disappointed. I cannot say more, for fear of spoiling any part of the story. I highly recommend this book.
on 21 September 2013
A great end to a great series. Adventure, characters you like, cats you like, ship you like, lots of action and all tied together with character development and a well realised world which grows with each book in the series. I could hardly wait to reach the end of this book. Some characters I haven't being a great fan of step up and really show they're worth here and others continue to be awesome. Sorry to be vague but I don't want to spoil anything

I did a read through of the first three books before starting this one and looking back they all tie together and build back really well on each other, bringing new aspects to the characters and building on the history.

Well worth a look. I really hope we get another series from chris wooding of this quality soon!
on 4 October 2013
I think this must rank as my favourite series of novels. I respect the authors decision to end the series but I will genuinely miss spending time in the company of these characters. Beautifully crafted stories, easy to read and thoroughly entertaining. To discuss any of the plot would be unfair but the trust I placed in the author to provide the ending this series deserved was not misplaced. Whilst all of this series could be read as stand alone novels much would be lost by not reading them in order. Yes, you can't help but make links with Firefly, but these characters are 100% their own and the world they occupy is well formed and unique. In short - if you have read the others just buy it - if you haven't then run don't walk to buy them first!
on 22 September 2013
To not give anything away is hard but I'll give it a go.
This style of book isn't my usual genre, but I was drawn in very quickly to Chris's world & couldn't put them down. So well written, a couple of typos and sentences mixed but nothing to spoil a Damn good story. Lots of real comedy moments that just creased me up, Pinn & his shotgun in the Awakener ship was pure comedy genius. These were what really kept me going as well as what on earth was going to happen next. Well thought out characters with all their flaws & attributes. I loved how the characters all started out as less than heroic & not really loveable, but as the series progresses, you're really rooting for them. Can't praise these books enough.
on 26 January 2014
I've enjoyed all the Ketty Jay books and this latest, and possibly last in the series is a fine example of how much fun they can be. It's not a cerebral read but if you like a loose sci-fi concept with plenty of action and a bit of humour then you can't fail to enjoy The Ace of Skulls or any of the other books in the series.
One long nagging thought is that the characters and basic plot lines seem to bear more than a passing resemblance to those of Joss Whedon's excellent "Firefly" tv series - but that's no bad thing really. Fun adventure stories are always good to find and Chris Wooding tells his stories with enthusiasm and a nice touch in scene setting and dialogue. Well worth the read.
on 4 February 2014
Hated his others series about some bloody Weavers Of Saram or something, but this whole series has been very good ending in this book. Which to tell the truth is a good thing, saddened by the fact that the series has to end ,but a wise move considering that so many others drag a series on and on, way past the point when they have used up all their good ideas. To be frank so many other authors stretch out a book into three books when they do not have enough quality for one book let alone three. But in this series the Boy has done good. Hopefully he will now be able to regenerate and recharge his batteries
on 3 October 2015
I first came across Chris Woodings Ketty Jay series at my local library with The Black-lunged Captain, a book i thoroughly enjoyed. I never read Retribution Falls but after The Iron Jackal (the third book) I finally picked up the last one in the series. This was it, I had no idea what was going to happen here but i find myself thankful that Ketty Jay series ended this way. The book is full of Chris' usual writing style, with great dialog and humor that had me giddy with laughter. I am more than happy to give this book 5 stars. Farewell Ketty Jay series, you were... no still are inspirational.
Ace of Skulls is the final entry in the fantastic Tales of the Ketty Jay series. An exciting series of adventures of pirates and rogues, of order and revolution and of the most readable bunch of misfits I've read in years (and the most likeable since the crew of Firefly for me - this series has drawn so close to that in enjoyment for me that I've had Nathan Fillion playing Frey in my head for the past few books).

This brings everything in the series to a head, from the wars and revolutions that have been brewing to the story arcs of the major characters and it moves along at a brisk pace. I really didn't want to put this one down.

The sense of adventure, the excellent characters, the fun and action are all here and better than ever. This really is a cracking book to tie up the series.

The Ketty Jay series has been my favourite series in years, anyone who loves a bit of Steampunk, adventure, space piracy or indeed Firefly should give this series a go... I hope you'll love it as much as I have.

An easy five stars this.. brilliant.
on 5 December 2013
After only 4 books we reach the end for Han Solo (sorry, Captain Darian Frey)and the daring crew of the Ketty Jay. Although it is heavy in non-stop adventure, in my opinion the "sentimental" parts are the main ingredients, very touching and balanced between joy, grief, tears and laughs. We will remember all the characters fondly - for how many books can we say the same? Thank you Chris Wooding! (Although we hate you that we will never (?) see them again. Maybe if you get bankrupt you will be forced to bring them back. Fingers crossed!)