Customer reviews

Whispers Under Ground (PC Grant)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 October 2016
“I’d have been a bad scientist.”

Whispers Under Ground was once again an incredibly well written book however I found myself slightly disappointed in it. Not in the writing style itself or even the characters – because I still love Peter, Lesley, Nightingale and the rest – but in the plot.

The plot of Whispers Under Ground was a little lacklustre; it didn’t quite have that spark that the previous books had, it was good but not great. It followed Peter as he continues his training as a magicians apprentice and police officer, the ‘weird stuff’ was few and far between with some small sections of magic. Lesley showed up more in this book which I really liked as I like Lesley.

There was a murder – or two – some weird Earthbending from a possible chimera and a subsequent burying, a little bit of magic and a whole lot of policing.

The internal monologuing of Peter Grant was sarcastic and humourous as always:

Once you’d exhausted the possibilities of drinking, feasting and wenching, torturing someone slowly to death probably helped break the monotony.

You burn down one central London tourist attraction, I thought, and they never let you forget it.

The best line – single greatest line in the entire book was:

F me he’s an Earthbender.

The writing style stayed consistent although my kindle edition had quite a few errors in editing which was a smidgen annoying but it didn’t detract from the overall storyline. There was a consistent British feel throughout, which occasionally, can drop from other books set in London and a distinct American feel drops in its place.

The magic in this book was, as mentioned previously, few and far between which as a magicians apprentice was a little disappointing. The Quiet People was quite an interesting concept; a whole contingency of paranormal creatures that live in the sewers under London, keep pigs and make… pottery.

That was basically the only proper magic in the book which is I think where I was disappointed. A lot of the book consisted of Peter being a police officer first and an apprentice second – as part of the Murder Team it made sense but it wasn’t what I would have called enjoyable.

If Whispers had been a little less police-beaty and more magical it would have got a solid 4 star rating but I don’t feel comfortable giving it anymore than 3.5.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 June 2017
I'm still loving this series and the world building in it. We've had the story of London's rivers and of Covent Garden and it's theatrical links; then we had the story of Soho and its demimonde (and in some cases evilly supernatural) clubs and serious musicians; here we get drawn Underground - into the tube AND the sewers!! Along with Peter we're gradually getting the picture of the 'other' London.
Loving the character development too - the team are pretty much back to full strength and the marvellous Officer Lesley is officially a member. The murder squad has its leader back - teeth gritted. However, in this story, Peter does his level best to put himself on the sick list, despite sterling support from Lesley and Officer Kumar from BTP; he doesn't admit it but I think he secretly would love to be recruited to the SAS branch of the London Fire Brigade with Frank and Co and duly spends his time chasing down villains, getting shot and buried alive (and that means now he owes Lsdy Ty a favour) - all in pursuit of the villain who killed a visiting American with a shard of magical pottery. Underground is a whole new world - no, truly, it is.
On the training front Nightingale is cross that Peter is embellishing his spells but Lesley is pleased with him for doing some proper police work for once. The villain is copped but The Faceless One is still one step ahead of them - ah, but they now have a new, junior team member to do some sleuthing for them. The writing is as clever, funny and affectionate as before. Fantastic stuff.
on 11 September 2017
This is the third book in the P.C Peter Grant mysteries, and the series just gets better and better. The secret areas of London, magic and mystery, and, of course, a tale of police procedure with a difference. It is not a Harry Potter for grown ups, and neither is it the same as the "Bryant and May" books by Christopher Fowler, but there are similarities. I am not going to spoil the unique plot, but this book will entertain you, and at times sitting on the edge of the seat, whilst at others laughing out loud. One thing for certain, the book will keep you up very late for "just one more..." chapter. A real page turner. Treat yourself to this highly recommended series from the brilliant Ben Aaronovitch.
on 23 May 2017
This author just gets better and better. I really wasn't sure of him in the snatch of preview you get but glad I went for it and bought the first (and second!) book in this series. The narrator is perfect for the role - he IS Peter Grant! Now I'm not a huge fan of the City of London - not my home turf at all and was a little concerned that might impinge on my enjoyment - but not a bit of it! It is handled with such charm, that even anold parochial Northerner like me is encapsulated into the company of these oddball characters ;)
Can't wait for my next credit - might even buy three... :D
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 July 2017
I admit it I'm a fan the series is a grabber. This book is no exception, highly entertaining and enjoyable read. Good as a stand alone novel but also carries on the series well. I won't spoil it for you by telling the plot, read it yourself.
A good addition to my collection and gave me an excuse (as if I needed one) to read the others again to.
on 22 April 2017
Great fun & HIGHLY recommended

I am chewing through this series at great pace. They are laugh out loud funny, witty, interersting,m exciting.

Just get them, OK?
on 10 May 2017
I am really struggling with these books. I want to feel something for the main characters but i don't like them, Peter is an annoying juvenile, there are more pages devoted to historic buildings and places than the actual story, i have calculated a third of the book is the main story the rest just seems to be words to make the book around 400 pages, i have 6 of these books but i think i will stop at this one and chalk this up as a bad lot.
on 19 May 2017
A policeman in London who is learning magic? Yes, but read the books in this series by Ben Aaronovitch, they are a must if you like detective stories with a twist.
on 3 July 2017
The third PC Grant book and I have been totally sucked into this strange world. I find it helpful to read these books with an A to Z so I can follow the routes round London
on 23 March 2017
Another entertaining ride through quite literally the underworld of London, I'm very much looking forward to the next instalment and beyond