Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 July 2017
Compared to other books by Sanderson i found it a little difficult to get into this book as at first i didn't really like or understand the characters. However, as the story progressed i learned more about the world and how the magic of breath works and found myself eventually wanting to know more. Similar to the method of writing in elantris it switches characters between chapters and while this can get frustrating as you might not like a particular character so when it leaves the story in a climatic situation only for you to spend the next 30 pages reading about other characters it can sometimes remove that feeling of drama as it's been a while since you were last in the situation. Non the less as the story progressed the characters do become more interesting and so does the plot this eventually allowed Me to finish the book.

The magic system is amazing, at first it I'd difficult to imagine but as the story progresses the use of breath is amazing and the use of the magic system is unique at first when comparing it to the magics of other systems the magic seemed fun and colourful but i couldnt imagine it being used in intricate actions sets. This eventually was proven i correct as we see vasher fight in some pretty cool ways.

Overall it is an enjoyable read which i wish there was more written and cannot await more adventures to take place in this system
on 13 June 2017
A good quick, compelling read with all of Sanderson's normal world building.

A standalone, it does feel a little bit more like it's just a showcase for the concept of the colour-based magic and I think the plot could have been exercised and fleshed out a bit more- parts felt a little rushed. However, for fans of Sanderson this will be a welcome treat and a brief interlude into a new world.
on 12 June 2016
Highly enjoyable book in the Cosmere series. Colour charismatic was interesting. I would like a sequel in future, hopefully. Recommended.
on 1 June 2013
Another fantasy world from Brandon Sanderson and it's good. The adventure holds the reader's attention and some of the twists in the story were a surprise - all good. I enjoyed this very much. It's well written (as usual from this author), the world is described so well, it's totally believable and the characters develop nicely. I loved it.
on 17 August 2017
Story was ok. Roles given to the characters were quite stereotypical. Romance predictable and cheesy. Wasn't bad but not good either.
The flirting between lightsong and blushweaver was tedious at times
on 7 May 2017
It's a good story but I felt it moved far too slow to keep me interested. It ended up being a bit of a slog to finish.
on 6 August 2017
Oh my. This book. Easily as good as Stormlight- the character development is the best I've ever read. YOU HAVE TO READ THIS
on 17 October 2014
First of this author's books for me and I'm hooked. Couldn't wait to read it all so I could start more. Loved his concept for the story. Breath and colour -very unique and original.
on 21 October 2010
This is the first book I've read of Sanderson's, and based on this I'll probably try a few more. A stand alone book it actually has all the ingredients to be a bit better than it was. A very good storyline that makes sense, a unique magic, and pretty believable characters. Indeed, the only thing stopping it from being 5 stars is that it was put downable.

Things I liked:

Unique magic system.
Plot that made sense and kept you guessing to the very end. A few twists that explained themselves and took me by surprise.
Good characters, with a few reasonably unique ones. That said, a few old regulars as well.
A world that made you want to learn more about its history.
Single stand alone book.
on 10 July 2015
I'm surprised how nervous I get about picking up a Brandon Sanderson book that's not from a series I'm already familiar with (this is, so far, a standalone). I should have learnt by now that all his books are fantastic, and by the end of them I'm always desperate to pick up another as soon as possible.

Warbreaker is no exception. A story about two princesses in a world of magic, who both visit a neighbouring country in a reversal of their previous roles. Sanderson's exploration of these two characters (and a couple of others) really makes this book, and I really enjoyed seeing them explore who they were and find their places in the world.

The world itself is another marvel of Sanderson's imagination - he's constructed yet another of his detailed magic systems and a pair of counterbalanced cultures that have real depth and layers that keep on peeling to reveal more and more. I find it hard to fathom how he has become so great at creating these places and the stories to go with them.

Once again a great read and one that I can easily imagine me returning to re-read in the future. Easily the best thing I've read for ages - to the extent that the books I picked up afterwards felt bland and lifeless by comparison.