Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 February 2015
Really enjoyable book Ilona Andrews knows how to pull the reader in to Kate's world and you feel the action, love the quick wit, Kate very strong minded and witty and a fighter brilliant story the plots change from one book to the other and are never repetitive and the characters you meet in Kate's world draws the reader in more couldn't put it down over 7 days ended up reading all the Kate Daniels 1-5 in the series, Kate lives in a world where magic and modern technology coexist when Morden technology stops magic takes over and trouble always finds Kate ,from all paranormal beings and some I have never read about in many books I have read till this series, :-)
on 11 September 2013
Magic Bites is the 1st book in the Kate Daniels Series by the husband and wife writing team known as Ilona Andrews who have also written the Edge series. The series is set in Atlanta but in a time when magic and technology compete with each other to be in charge, resulting in a world where nothing is guaranteed to work in 5 minutes time even if it it working now. Kate Daniels is feisty with a sense of humour and an interesting family background but also a tendency to jump both feet first into many situations. Kate is tough which is good when she doesn't always play nicely with others, however she's not the only stubborn one and so luckily doesn't have to face everything alone even when she intends to. Other characters include Shapeshifters such as Jim, Derek and the Beast Lord Curran and Vampire Navigator (Master of the Dead) Ghastek, all of whom have some interesting banter with Kate.

Other people have written more comprehensive descriptions of the storyline but I'm going to write a shorter summary and then concentrate on why I enjoyed the book. Kate's guardian was murdered and in order to investigate it she needs to work with his employer the Order who are a bit to hierarchical for Kate's comfort. The investigations require discussions and assistance from both the Shapeshifters and the People (those who study and navigate vampires) who not only hate each other but are not on Kate's 'I would like to work with' list. I love the sense of humour with which the book is written and the depth given to all of the characters. Interactions between characters are always done intelligently and with the tongue firmly in cheek, even when the encounter is antagonistic. It is a story that carries you along with it giving you the information you need as you need it, rather than overloading you and expecting you to remember everything.

It was fun to read the first and all subsequent times when reading the whole set each time I get the next in series.
on 11 May 2013
I absolutely love this series and I've read all the books several times. Even though I have dozens of new books in my TBR pile when I woke up to terrible rain I couldn't help myself from rereading Magic Burns again - I think that in itself says a lot about how addictive the Kate Daniels books are!

It's hard to say too much about the plot without giving anything away. In summary: Kate lives in a world where magic battles it out with technology (post shift), shapechangers live amongst humans, along with other supernatural beings. Vampires are the vicious reanimated corpses of the dead controlled by necromancers or navigators, still with me?

Kate works cleaning up magical messes and investigating supernatural problems. Kate's guardian is murdered and she takes it upon herself to find his killer. This leads her to the shapechangers and the Beast Lord Curran. Kate has secret and powerful magic coupled with mad warrior skills! She's lethal with a sword and takes no prisoners. I love that Kate's strong and unpredictable, she has some brilliant one-liners and is a fab heroine - you really wouldn't wanna get on her bad side.

Curran is the ruler of the changers and is used to getting his own way. Controlling, arrogant and manipulative he's all animal BUT these traits are not a bad thing with him. They make him a great sparring partner for Kate and I love how she stands up to him and is determined to do things on her terms. Curran is how he is partly because he has a lot of responsibility and his possessiveness come from his beast side. He's not human and follows different rules.

The narrative is fast paced and a lot happens, yet it never seems rushed! I remember when I first read Magic Bites I was desperate for the follow up to be released and eagerly checked Ilona's blog for snippets and excerpts. On a side note Ilona Andrews is actually two people, Ilona Andrews and her husband Gordan. I wasn't sure about this at first, but it actually helps because you get male insight which helps make the male characters more believable and so the books really work!

Check out their website for more info! [...]

The changers Jim and Derek (boy-wonder) are great secondary characters and play increasingly important roles in the series. Nostalgia aside I really like Magic Bites!

My fav non-spoilery quotes:
*"It's a reflex. Hear a bell, get food. See an undead, throw a knife. Same thing, really."
*"What kind of woman greets the Beast Lord with 'here, kitty, kitty'?"
*"For a second I thought I might actually be alive," I said, looking at Nick's unshaven face. "Now I know-- I've gone to Hell and you're my nursemaid."
*"Eleven out of twelve work fine. I'd say that's better chances than getting an orgasm with a blind date and women still try." He blinked and laughed softly. "I never know what you'll say next." "I don't either."

Also reviewed on my Blog Zili in the Sky! [...]
on 6 July 2007
What it says on the back

'Atlanta would be a nice place to live, if it weren't for the magic...

When the magic is up, rogue mages cast their spells and monsters appear, while guns refuse to fire and cars fail to start. But then technology returns, and the magic recedes as unpredictably as it arose, leaving all kinds of paranormal problems in its wake.

Kate Daniels is a down-on-her-luck mercenary who makes her living cleaning up these magical problems. But when Kate's guardian is murdered, her quest for justice draws her into a power struggle between two strong factions within Atlanta's magic circles.

The Masters of the Dead, necromancers who can control vampires, and the Pack, a paramilitary clan of shapechangers, blame each other for a series of bizarre killings- and the death of Kate's guardian may be part of the same mystery. Pressured by both sides to find the killer, Kate realizes she's way out of her league- but she wouldn't have it any other way...'

This is a nice, easy read. There's nothing too complex that you have to stop and rewind through everything you've just read but its not so simple that your mind goes to sleep either. The plot is engaging and the details are well thought out. The odd sentence and paragraph lets you know that Kate's story isn't finished yet but the main plotline is wrapped up nice and tidily by the end of the book. Kate is what you might call an 'alpha' woman; aggressive, mouthy and independant but refreshingly she also isn't so determined to go her own way that she puts herself in suicidal situations, she accepts help when she needs it. Romance takes a backseat to the rest of the plot but there is potential to play with in future books. I believe the second book will be titled Magic Burns.

I found this book very enjoyable and well worth reading, especially if you like Patricia Briggs' Moon Called and Michelle Sagara West's Cast in Shadow.
on 14 August 2012
Didn't know what this book would be like but kept seeing it advertised in relation to other books i've enjoyed reading recently. Decided to read the first chapter and from there bought the book. Started reading this the next day and have been hooked to the series since.

Set in a rather unique vision of the world, its a little bit gritty, very exciting and full of mystery, the perfect combination to keep just about anyone reading to the end. In the world of Kate Daniels magic and technology are in constant flux, one moment technology rules with cars, electricity, even tv's, the next magic rolls in and horses become the best mode of transport and electricity is just a memory. Apart from the almost post-apocaliptic feel to the world theres of course the characters who in themselves do no disapoint. Kate is a strong, self reliant and rather mysterious character. We get to know her fairly well in this book, but there are huge gaps in her history that we are teased with constantly.

I'd love to say the next two books clear up much of those blank spots but sadly the author has the right idea and has spaced out bits here and there to tantalise us into wanting more. I'm already on book three and there is still plenty of mystery remaining.

Great series so far, sadly only the first three are available in e-book format that I can see. I'm sorely tempted to order the paperback version for the remaining books, but I'd rather avoid that, really have no room for paper-books anymore!
on 3 April 2012
I read this in a day. Its a page turner. I really liked the main character and the plot. Its not a 'chicklit'. I have fairly high standards and I thoroughly enjoyed it. My only complaint is that it is a bit short. I have purchased the next in the series.

While this is not in the same league as some hard fantasy or other greats, the writing, the editing and the plot are all of quite a high standard, and I would recommend this book.

Of special interest is the way in which it mixes magic and tech, in cycles of power/effectiveness. Very interesting, and well done.

I might add that you should not be put off by the god-aweful cover. I wouldn't take this out on a bus, but all the same its worth reading.

Finally, I have since read the next two books and they are FANTASTIC. The battle in the second book was one of the best I have ever read, the comedy is Hilarious. As far as I can tell, Ilona Andrews is a very serious author(Solid rounded characters, good plot, good action, tight and solid editing, and overall writing to a pretty high standard). My congratulations to her if she read this. The Kate Daniels books are fantastic and I cannot recommend them enough.
on 5 December 2014
This book bites you, infects you and keeps you under its spell from page one to the very end. It's smoking hot, deliciously descriptive. Funny, exciting and atmospheric. I am chomping at the bit to read the next one and am so happy right now that there's a huge series to enjoy.
on 6 June 2012
Set in the future in Atlanta where the world is split in either 'magic time' when magic dominates and nothing technical (cars, phones, guns lights etc) works, or in 'tech' where nothing magic works. No-one knows when the magic will fall, and the landscape is now littered with buildings that couldn't stand up to the magic. It's an interesting world filled with Shapeshifters, mages, beasts and vampires. Kate Daniels is a great heroine, she's got an intriguing secret past which comes out slowly over the books and alot of what she does and how she acts is due to that secret history. She has been bought up to be a fighter, a ruthless machine in some ways that forms no connections and takes extreme measures to make sure no-one figures out who she really is. Despite all of this, she's a good person and when her guardian Greg dies at the beginning of this book she feels she owes it to him to find out who killed him. She starts working at 'The Order' which is a magical policing agency where Greg used to work so that she can try and find his killer. This brings her previous solitary work life into the path of the Shapeshifters, and in particular their leader, King of the Shapeshifters Curran (mini swoon).

Ilona Andrews (husband and wife team, Ilona and Andrew) have written the first book in a series that gets better and better. They've created such a rich world full of 3 dimensional characters. Kate is such a great character, she's funny, clever and mouthy. The baddies are horribly bad, the goodies are sometimes justifiably bad too, but for the greater good!

The romance in this series is a slow burn, if you like your romance quick and passionate you'll be disappointed, but I urge you to stick around and watch the romance flourish, you'll be rooting for it and cherishing every scene.

I love this series, I can't tell you enough how much I love it. Ilona Andrews is in my top 3 urban fantasy writers, the writing is consistently good, inventive, and funny. The interactions between the characters are so good.

I'm so sure you won't regret getting started in Kate's world.
on 8 November 2007
A couple of years ago I bought a book by Laurell K. Hamilton and thought 'wow', but I have stopped buying her books because to be honest I am not in to erotic horror, which her books have now become.

This book is well on the way to becoming the new Anita Blake. It actually contains a good story, a howdonnit some very good characters and a new world that is never narrated but you learn a lot about.

My only minor quibble is it's a full priced book with only 260 pages.

In summary not since the Harry Dresdon books have I felt so good about a new series.
on 3 September 2007
Good to find a new author with a different slant on vampires. Feisty heroine and vampires that are pretty horrific - not your usual tall dark and incredibly handsome by any means. Very much liked the Knight who's an overweight cowboy.

It is also good that in this first book the love interest is not made too blatantly clear, with lots of 'men' being introduced as possible future partners.

Looking forward to the next in this new series which will hopefully be published around April 2008.