Customer reviews

The Dragon Factory
Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 December 2014
I'm a big fan of the series. This will never be anything more than an action packed fun time filled with cliches, but if that's what you want, it does that really well.

I did prefer the first book in the series, Patient Zero, as I quite enjoy zombie post-apocalyptic work in general, but I thought The Dragon Factory was an interesting follow up. Think of it as less intellectual Michael Crichton works.

Still, the books are fun, and though this was a little poorer edited than the previous one, I've really enjoyed this book. If you want something that is not particularly high brow literary reading, but rather, you want a fun action packed film in a book, I recommend this.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 June 2011
After reading (and thoroughly enjoying) the first novel in the Joe Ledger series "Patient Zero" I definitely wanted to give this sequel a go. So for those of you familiar with the series, Joe has just done his bit in saving the world from a plague of zombies working for the DMS - a specialised, and very secret, government agency. This next installment sees Joe up against some new villains and their handiwork. The surprise is pretty fantastic - let's just say, it makes zombies look appealing.

The first novel had quite a bit of scientific information regarding pathogens, disease and infection.The dragon factory still holds onto the science element but in a little more detail. Some of these sections I found really interesting actually and they especially helped me to understand some of the key elements within the novel. I did find the science element a little far-fetched sometimes so if you're picky about accuracy then you might find that irritating.

I did find one thing a little annoying, not enough to ruin my opinion of the book though, Maberry was a tad over the top with some of the British characters dialogue in that they sounded VERY British. But again, this took nothing at all away from the book.

Did I think this was any good? Did it match up to Patient Zero? Absolutely! If you were already a fan then this next installment won't disappoint you. I sometimes think that the second books in a series can be more of a filler than a great addition but that's certainly not the case this time - Joe Ledger is as enjoyable and hilarious as ever. If you liked the previous characters on Joe's team then you'll be pleased to know some of them are back to help him out.

Was there anything you should know before you buy? Be prepared to be desperate to get hold of "The King of Theives" - Joe Ledger 3.
on 11 July 2017
This series is a gripping tale of the potentiality of the human race to commit atrocities that most sane, normal people could never even consider as being within the realm of possibilities. However, history shows us that this is entirely possible. There are no words yet created to explain how this book made me feel. It was an awe-inspiring and yet terrifying read that I think everyone should take the time to read.
VINE VOICEon 9 July 2011
I enjoyed the first outing from the author, Patient Zero. It was nonsense, but well delivered nonsense and did what it promised on the cover. This follow up is also nonsense but the delivery suffers from over the top bad guys and a plot so daft it is also embarrassing.

The action is delivered well I have to say, but the plot and the characters badly let everything down. By far the most interesting character is Bishop, the guy in charge of the black ops Government department that combats threats to the US/World. The main character is Joe Ledger an ex special forces/cop is leads somewhat from the front while occasionally becoming introspective and annoyingly slowing the story down. Awful and predictable bad guys and some utterly stupid genetically produced clones and creatures feel like they came out of a badly written comic.

Not good.
on 14 June 2010
This is the second in a series by Jonathan Mayberry, the first being Patient Zero.
They're daft, and over the top, but you'd have to throw in 'gritty', and 'gripping'.
I've read books that somehow miss the point, and don't quite cut it, but Mayberry's writing is right on the nose. His conspiracy theories are so over the top as to be - well, they SHOULD be implausible. It's a tribute to his writing style that the books work very, very well.
OK. That's about it.
Pretty clear I liked this book. But I'd recommend a new reader to Patient Zero first.
on 10 March 2017
So good I read it twice and may even make it three before the new one comes out !!! Wow
on 22 December 2013
Good book that keeps you engaged. The plot is a little too macho but it is fun and keeps you hooked.
on 14 August 2015
Awesome Read
on 13 July 2015
bought for my son
on 23 June 2013
The second book in the Joe Ledger series was fast paced and gripping from start to finish, an excellent read, roll on book 3!!!