Ghost Story
Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 July 2017
I've had this kicking around on my kindle for a couple of years but had never got round to reading it until now. I'm glad it didn't become one of those books I never got around to because it's a fantastic tribute to ghost stories in general and a good novel in it's own right. Peter Straub obviously set out to pay his respects to the genre and there are nods to Hawthorne and James amongst others and he manages to include most of the ingredients for a classic scary story. I won't go too much into the plot but there's a main overarching plot that also incorporates a few other shorter tales as Straub has some fun and meanders around. It feels like a long book and it's not a fast paced read but the tension builds well and a sense of menace increases the further into the book you get. Personally I find the horror genre really hit and miss - there's a lot of dross out there but this isn't one of them. Instead, it's a proper "huddle round a roaring fire and tell tales of spooky things" type of book. Would definitely recommend this and will seek out other novels by Peter Straub.
7 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 22 May 2017
I usually read at least one book a week, but it has taken over a month to read this. The story is okay, but I just couldn't engage with the characters or plot, and always found something else to do after reading only a couple of pages at a time. I picked this after enjoying Peter James's collaborations with Stephen King (both of which I enjoyed), but I won't be picking up any more of his solo writing - it's not for me.
on 4 October 2016
Not my favourite, and not scary in the slightest. I found the characters boring and the pace slow.
At times I found myself wondering where the plot was trying to go and the final chapters were laughable.
Talisman (co-written with Stephen King) is miles better.
on 15 March 2015
Fantastic book. Was gripped the entire way through. The main characters were likeable and the content was genuinely creepy. Everything I expect in a good ghost story. There were so many characters, which some people may find hard work, but I loved writing notes on them all and keeping up with the story that way.
Very long book but almost felt sad to finish it as I enjoyed reading it so much.
Best book I've read in ages.
on 2 January 2017
There is no doubt that Peter Straub is an excellent writer, and this is a good and atmospheric novel but, as others have said, its also too slow, and complex - particularly at the start which dissipates the tension somewhat. 4 stars for the quality of the writing.
on 7 September 2015
The first 60% is possibly one of the best thriller / horror books I have read. A great, creeping story, building in suspense, with brilliant characters and a wonderful jigsaw puzzle of a story line, then... its almost like Straub got bored, killed everyone off quickly, and mashed a hugely disappointing and unnecessarily violent ending together. Loved Mr Clubb and Mr Cuff, ultimately disappointed with this. Shame.
3 people found this helpful
on 12 January 2017
Beautifully written prose and wonderfully spooky and atmospheric. I was just disappointed at the turn the story took about three quarters of the way in. It went from fabulously supernatural to silly fantasy. But a good read, notwithstanding.
on 14 October 2016
Ghost Story,written by Peter Straub,is an excellent excellent horror story,centred around The Chowder Society,a group of friends who have to come together to defeat the evil that visits itself upon their home town.Thoroughly recommended.
on 31 January 2014
I don't think I have enjoyed a (fairly) modern horror as much as this. It really has all the elements required: a great tale (or multiple tales weaving into one theme), very strong and believable characters and is written extremely well.
The beginning is frenetic and a little confusing but certainly stick with it - the ending ties everything together nicely.
Must be time for a new movie version.
on 23 February 2016
I really looked forward to reading this book. I had it on my wish list for months before finally buying the book. I found the plot first class and the ending brilliant but I found the plot a bit slow to unravel. It was so slow that I nearly gave up on the book a number of times.