20th Century Ghosts
Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 November 2014
I approached this book with some caution as my only experience of Joe Hill was when I picked up Heart Shaped Box and then left it aside unfinished. But all in all I found this collection of fifteen short stories to be well written and interesting. Who knows, on the basis of my enjoyment of these I might just go back and pick up Heart Shaped Box again and give it another GO.

I prefer novels but this collection has some solid meat on its bones. The stories were short, but not too short, and I found them imaginative and entertaining. Only four of these tales were ghost stories in the proper sense and most, but not all of the rest, were straightforward horror, both real life and supernatural. A few others were somewhat surreal, one being definitely Kafkaesque.

In other hands we’d probably have some of these stories stretched out to novel length – some have that potential - but the impulse to do so, if ever it existed, was sensibly quashed. They’re tighter and tauter as they are.
on 31 July 2013
I began reading this one too-hot, sticky summer's night, just after I had given up on the idea of sleeping at all. I started around 1am, and at 8am, realised that I simply couldn't put it down. I gladly sacrificed sleep and read right through until evening...each story compelling, fascinating, and as perfectly haunting in its own right as I had dared to hope, when I started the collection. I would be lying if I said I hadn't felt a frisson of familiarity, there are genetics here from one of the finest writers of all time, of course (Stephen King's son has inherited the writing gene!) but Joe Hill has his own voice, his own unique style, and is already a master of his chosen genre. I personally hope he will be as prolific a writer as his father.
on 29 November 2017
Short stories but didn't really find any of them memorable. Or exciting. Don't be fooled by the word Ghosts. Doesn't really apply.
on 3 December 2012
I bought this book expecting it to be more horror oriented, however the stories here cover a far broader spectrum from coming of age drama to ghost stories. I was not left disappointed, I felt that each story was worth a read and there was no real filler. My favourite of the stories was "Voluntary Committal", the last in the book and probably the longest.

Overall, I am happy that I read this book and will be seeking out more of Joe Hill's work in the future. Anyone looking for a collection of well written stories covering a variety of themes would not go wrong in choosing this book.
on 21 May 2014
Read all his stuff, being a longtime Kingophile. Enjoyed all his work, but this one is the best, even although it is short fiction. Up there with Bradbury, Barker and even Dad. Lots of high points, and great changes of pace and style throughout. My favourite is a cross between Lovecraft and House of Leaves..I'll let you guess which one that is!
on 14 October 2015
some stories were really well written but some left me wondering what it was about, Joe Hill has a very unusual writing style that is sometimes a little difficult to follow, however i did enjoy most of the stories.
on 14 February 2016
This was a gift for my husband and he absolutely loves this book. He has not been able to put it down and will certainly be reading more Joe Hill in the future.
on 3 December 2017
Very nice
on 11 October 2014
Not up to his dad's standards. He probably uses a pseudonym to avoid bring compared to his dad but being a huge Stephen King fan I can't help it. I enjoyed Joe Hill's novels better than this collection of short stories.
on 16 March 2015
I'm not normally a fan of short stories, but having enjoy Joe Hill's novels I decided to give this a go, and I'm glad I did because they are brilliant. They're sweet, haunting, disturbing, scary. They're not all horror / scary stories, which may disappoint some, but I thought the collection was genius.