on 12 September 2013
This is essentially the autobiography of a very ordinary man and his very ordinary life and proof positive that fans of Doctor Who will buy anything with the word 'dalek' in the title. Including me it seems! If it wasn't for the fact it regularly references the aforementioned show it would almost certainly never have seen the light of day. For fans of Doctor Who there's some fun to be had reading his reminiscences but other than that it's pure tedium. Once he started talking of his life, friends and family I became incredibly bored...this isn't meant as a put down, I'm sure the writer is a very nice chap but really...why am I meant to be interested in any of this? It's all so unremarkable (as would my autobiography be...which is why I've never written one!), very little of any substance ever happens to him, it's just average Joe spilling out his average life onto paper. Quite possibly the most pointless book I've ever read.
on 23 March 2012
Doctor Who is more than just a TV show. It's even more than a TV cult like Star Trek. With 50 years on British telly (minus that long intermission around the nineties) it is the thing that still culturally links us to the 60s, especially now that Top Of The Pops is over. That's why there's a mini-industry of people with charming Bildungsromans which are mainly based around what they were doing when Terror Of The Autons was first broadcast.

Nick Jones has the drop on his competitors though because, besides the fact that he can tell a story really well, he worked for the Radio Times when Russell T Davies successfully regenerated the show in 2005. So as well as stories of hiding behind the sofa when the Daleks were on, Jones can drop in stories about mingling with David Tennant, Billie Piper and the late, lovely Elizabeth Sladen.

But of course the heart of this book is the story of an English childhood at a time when English childhoods had a little bit of magic (after the war and before happyslapping). We see a child's wonder at the new world before him while Pertwee is rocking the Tardis; the emerging personality of pre-pubesence as Tom Baker dragged his massive scarf around space and time; the agonising nihilism of both adolescence and having to sit through Bonnie Langford as a companion.

It's all here and it's told with spirit and enormous affection. A bit like one of those I Love The 70s shows, except in book form and without the repeated urge to punch Peter Kay.

(reposted from El Dink - eBook Bargain Bin)
on 12 December 2012
As a fan of the good Doctor myself, I was attracted to this book by the title. And in many respects I can relate to Nick Griffiths, especially as it was Spearhed from Space which finally got me hooked on the series too.

I don"t agree with his views on Jo Grant or Ace but that's OK.

Altogether a fine and unusual memoir, and worthy reading matter for fans of Dr. Who and contemporary British history.
VINE VOICEon 30 June 2012
Humorous memoir of a Doctor Who fan and music/TV journalist of more or less the same age as me. There's lots in it to enjoy for anyone who grew up in Britain in the 70s and 80s and lived through the music and culture of the time. A lighter read than most of my books;). There is a hilarious quote where the author laments the lack of success in his lovelife "Neither was I Casanova - more Vauxhall Nova, when it came to girls"!
on 21 June 2012
Well written, and extremely funny in places (lots of them)... Nick Griffiths took me back in time to my childhood, being of the same age, through the programmes of Dr Who. A must read for all Dr Who fans, and for those with only a passing interest. Despite Mr Griffiths protesting that he is only 2/3 on the Dr Who Nerd scale... as a self confessed Nerd/Geek regarding the Doctor, he rates so much higher.
on 3 February 2015
Not too geeky, more the reminiscences of Nick Griffiths with a Who-related theme. Being a similar age to the author - so we have the same "My Doctor" - I found it amusing in places, chortle-worthy in others, and in parts quite sad. Worth a read.
on 22 August 2011
Unlike many Who books that are just a trawl through the episodes, this book is mix of whimsy and laugh out loud humour linked to the context of the author growing up with the programme. The new kindle 50th Anniversary Version has additional photos and author comments.Not just for Who fans. Highly recommended, as are all Griffiths books.
on 31 January 2014
If your a middle aged guy, this is for you ! Forget the Dr Who bit, if you grew up in the 60's / 70's / 80's you will laugh and cry at the memories this book will bring back ! This man is a legend !
on 20 April 2013
This is an interesting, well-written book that is easy to read. Although the author is clearly a Dr. Who fan, there is much more to this than simply asides on the series. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
on 11 June 2014
It's not so much about Doctor Who, more the life and times of an ordinary person framed in the nostalgia of Doctor Who. I thoroughly enjoyed Nick's life story and thought it was as interesting as any fiction.