Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 September 2016
I love this book - that is the words and drawing. However the Kindle edition I bought simply does not work.
It is a scan/pdf of the book which means that you can't read it in a kindle app.
on 16 February 2017
The only book I have downloaded that is almost impossible to read. The text and illustrations are too small, and, if you zoom in, do not fit the page. Maybe ok, if you are prepared to read with a magnifying glass. I can't be bothered. Complete waste of money!
on 19 July 2017
Short read
on 16 July 2004
I have never read a discworld novel that doesn't make me laugh, even coming back to books i have read and re-read literally hundreds of times.
The series gets funnier the more involved in it you become. This is a very rare thing, and while I wouldn't call the author genius, I'd say he's close enopugh to have quite a lot of the light from genius shining on this work, and all of the others in the discworld saga.
Add that to the fact that he's now got the Wee Free men to play with as well, and the opportunities are endless.
I await his next book with the same anticipation I had for the first. Possibly the greatest author who ever looked round at the world and wet himself laughing!!
All I can say is thank you Terry Pratchett!
on 31 December 2016
Cohen the Barbarian. He's been a legend in his own lifetime. He can remember the good old days of high adventure, when being a Hero meant one didn't have to worry about aching backs and lawyers and civilization. But these days, he can't always remember just where he put his teeth...So now, with his ancient (yet still trusty) sword and new walking stick in hand, Cohen gathers a group of his old -- very old -- friends to embark on one final quest. He's going to climb the highest mountain of Discworld and meet the gods. It's time the Last Hero in the world returns what the first hero stole. Trouble is, that'll mean the end of the world, if no one stops him in time.

I love the Discworld books, they are such fun to read. With characters reoccurring throughout the series, this one has Rincewind, Carrot, Leonard De Quirm and the Librarian trying to stop Cohen from destroying the Discworld. Will they succeed? You will have to read it to find out!
on 5 March 2008
The Last Hero is the seventh novel in the Rincewind story arc, following Cohen the Barbarian and his Silver Horde on their adventure to return fire to the gods. With interest. Since this would result in the end of all life on the Discworld, Rincewind, Captain Carrot and Leonerd of Quirm are sent to stop them, via a ship capable of diving over the rim and slingshotting around to the other side.

The novel itself is beautifully illustrated on every page, with detailed character and scene depictions, as well as diagrams and documents drawn up by Leonard of Quirm (all done with standard Pratchett style humour)
on 20 October 2001
When I ordered this book I must admit that I wasn't expecting too much. After all, we've had two incredible novels in quick succession ('the Truth' and 'Thief of Time'), so I thought 'The Last Hero' would be a minor novella with some pictures. I wasn't sure about the pictures either. I have this theory that the Discworld should be played 'straight', if you know what I mean, and Paul Kidby's past work has been on the humourous side.
I received the book this morning, and sat down to read it. Forget any idea of this being an illustrated Discworld Story. This is a true collaboration between writer and artist, parts of the story are told by the illustrations, in fact there is synergy going on here - my neighbours, had they been listening, must have thought I'd gone completely insane when I saw one particular picture. Paul Kidby's final painting of 'the bard' is probably the supreme masterpiece, and the accompanying text is guaranteed to rip your heart out.
When I finished the book, I read it again, and I know I'll be repeating the dosage many times in the future. And I'll never again be able to hear the phrase 'Houston, we have a problem' without thinking of .... no, read it yourself!
One caveat - you must be reasonably familiar with the Discworld and its characters to understand this book.
on 5 May 2004
This is just the kind of thing that you would expect of Cohen the barbarian. Sorry it just is he is a character that in the past has saved the world on numerous occassions, he has taken over the biggest empire on the discworld and hes got old! Yes a man that was about ninety the first time we met him has finally been in some way affected by age. Now if I were Cohen I'd probably be annoyed as well, all my mates are dying of old age I can't remember where my teeth are. Not the finest ending for the discworlds greatest hero. I don't know whether I'd try to return fire in a terminal form to the gods but I'd probably wish i could. This is some of Pratchetts finest work and the illustrations by Paul Kirby are brilliant the story and the pictures complement each other beautifully. I can not say enough to do this book justice.
on 2 August 2004
This is another book in Terry Pratchett's series on the Discworld--a flat world, supported on the back of four massive elephants riding on the back of a planet-sized turtle, anything hilarious can happen here, and eventually does. In this book, Cohen the Barbarian decides to "return" fire to the gods. Unfortunately for the Discworld, this is not a friendly act. An alarmed Lord Vetinari puts together a team to stop Cohen and the Silver Horde, a team composed of Rincewind, Captain Carrot of the Watch, and the brilliant Leonard of Quirm. With a cast of characters like this, adventure and hilarity are bound to follow!
This book is quite different than the other Pratchett books I've read. The story is somewhat short, but this large book makes up for that with the large and well-drawn illustrations of Paul Kidby. I enjoyed finally seeing Carrot, Lord Vetinari, and Ponder Stibbons (Oh, so that's what Harry Potter will look like in a few years!), not to mention some breathtaking pictures of the Discworld and Ankh-Morpork (both two-pages large!).
Like other Pratchett stories, this one is simultaneously funny and fascinating. I enjoyed the story, and I enjoyed the pictures. This is a great book, one you should buy!
on 17 March 2017
Yet another great novel by the master, to go into detail to much about the plot would be a spoiler. The amazon blog on the bok is all you need to know about that, but what I will say the illustrated version is a thing to behold the illustrations are done to a a stadard like no other worthy of Gustave Dore any day. And on that note the only thing left to say is if you do not add this to your collection then it may be a desision you will regret.