Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 August 2017
The plot takes a while to gain momentum, and when it does, you're rather wishing it hadn't. The writing style is pretentious, and painfully so. Half of the similes make no sense at all and they're all about as profound as the readings you get from fortune cookies. Minute details are described with excessive detail, and it is this dwelling on unnecessary topics that makes this book so helplessly dull.

I don't read a lot of fantasy fiction, so I wouldn't be able to tell you if the plot was shamelessly ripped off from other books, but I did find the theories of this book's magic quite interesting, and that was primarily what kept me reading. Rothfuss also introduces a lot of new material, and the promise of explanation was another factor. There is no explanation in this book.

The characters are woefully poor. I can't say much more than that. There is no humour, despite Rothfuss' poor attempts, and most of the characters are one-dimensional - at best. The main character is the heroic anti-hero, but somehow, he lacks the charm to be a hero, and the apathy to be an anti-hero. He claims to be startlingly intelligent, but his actions as written by Rothfuss never convey this, and we just have to believe he is.

As for the actual plot, half of the book is an introduction to the real story. I'm not even joking. It's segmented into different sections which give the impression of importance, but none of it relates to the later plot and it does little more than set up the rest of the story. As for the rest of the story, it quickly devolves into a dragon quest.

The more I think about it, the more I realise that this book is not anywhere near as brilliant as it thinks it is. The writing style gives the impression of wisdom, but I advise you to dig a little deeper. If you do, you'll be dismayed to find that the writing is not nearly as wise as you thought it was. It is carefully embellished, and delicately ornamented, but there is no hiding that it is utter tripe.
on 8 November 2016
I've just completed my 7th or 8th re-read, I've lost count now, but still managed to spot things I missed before. Truly a work of genius in so many different ways; it is not only a brilliant, epic fantasy, it also questions the nature of stories and story-telling, human nature, political and social hierarchies, and many other things.
on 26 November 2016
I wasn't expecting to, but I got completely caught up in this. Couldn't put it down for long stretches. Engaging, entertaining and really enjoyable. I hope part three will eventually turn up since I'm already craving part two...
on 15 August 2017
I read reviews with people saying how it "isn't orignal" and just another generic fantasy book. People say that because Kote/Kvothe is this "boy genius" and can learn languages in a matter of days, saying he's prefect because he's the best at everything etc..(you get the gist). In my (humble) opinion, Rothfuss gives the book a very realistic feel becuse it's Kvothe who is narrating the book and by depecting this picture of a teen with amazing talent and intellect, Rothfuss actully gives us an insight on Kvothe's character, how he's a person who both laments nd exagerrates thr
on 20 April 2017
Best book I've read in some time. If you like your fantasy uncomplicated and slightly softer around the edges, yet deep without being tedious, you'll enjoy this.
on 19 June 2017
Hands down one of the best fantasy series I've ever read. I was hooked from the first chapter!!
on 10 April 2017
A brilliant start to an epic journey, had to read book 2 immediately.
on 28 June 2017
Once you get started it becomes compulsive
on 13 July 2017
Buy this book. Buy this book so hard and then join me in the agony of waiting for the third.
on 5 April 2017
Great series! I definitely recommend it.