on 1 April 2015
This book is amazing! The pacing is perfect, it's fast for the action but slower for the character development. The characters are all easy to differentiate as he has created 42 different personalities fantastically, and they're all great characters. Some of the characters are more developed than others but that's to be expected in a book with so many characters. It's emotional (I think I genuinely experienced every emotion while reading this book), it's gripping, it's clever and it really makes you think. I honestly can't praise this book enough, it's become one of my favourite books and I absolutely love it. Highly recommend it!
on 9 August 2014
A class of 42 high school students are sent to fight each other on a remote island. What can go wrong? Well this book takes the simple plot and turns it into one of the most fun reads I've had. The novel was originally Japanese and got translated into English, the translation is quite mediocre but still makes sense, but at some parts it's excruciatingly corny. However the corniness is what makes people love Battle Royale, no one loves it for it's amazing writing because it's not amazingly written if anything the writing is rather bad, but the badness of it gives it it's own charm like Gangnam Style by Psy. Don't go into this expecting a literature masterpiece, go into it thinking of just having a good time, because that is what you'll get out of it.
on 11 December 2014
As a fan of the movie I was looking forward to giving the book a read. Now I'm not the biggest book reader in the world but man, what a joyride! This is another case of one of those books that is much better than the movie. It's easy to follow, not so easy to put down and will grab your attention from start to finish.
If you enjoyed the movie then give this a go, you won't be disappointed!
'Battle Royale' is an excellent Japanese novel that is both gripping and original. I won't describe the storyline as the amazon page has a pretty good synopsis. I will say that from the first page you will be hooked and you will find yourself returning to this book at every free moment to see how the story develops. It is a simple premise, superbly executed (excuse the pun!) and you will become completely immersed in the mindsets of the various characters and how they behave. This book, like the film, is deemed controversial and yet I can't see any real reason why. It is a violent novel, but no more so than others out there, and it has a great many redeeming qualities compared to those other pulp fiction horror books. The translation is very good, so much so that you barely realise you are reading a translation at all, the ultimate goal I would have thought. This book is so easy to read that the 613 pages will fly by in no time at all. The ending, considering the subject matter, manages to leave you satisfied and with an adrenaline rush as well. One of the better modern fiction books i've read in a while and well worth a read.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 18 September 2011
If you liked 'The Hunger Games' you will love this book. Very similar themes although this is a slightly more adult version that I would say isn't really suitable for anyone under 14 or 15. It is fantastic.

One piece of advice though, If (like me) you are not good at remembering names make a list of all the characters before you start and jot down bits about them as the book goes on. There are lots of very similar Japanese names, and sometimes characters are called by their sur names rather than their first, so it's easy to get a bit lost. The author (or editor) seems to be aware of this and has included a page of character names in the front.

I promise, you will love this book.
on 17 May 2013
So bad I couldn't put it down. Fantastic, thrilling, roller coaster. I can't help thinking that the translation was not great, unless everyone in Japan talks like they have stepped out of an episode of Power Rangers. Actually they probably do. And so exciting to read a book from another very different culture, where the thought processes and actions are different from western values.
on 5 January 2015
Thrilling plot and got straight to the point without being too confusing ;always something going on. My only issue was that it was not translated perfectly and some lines did not make sense,but it was still understandable and makes you appreciate good literature. As for the plot there was always something going on and kept me on edge the whole story and it had a realistic (well sort of) ending. Overall I did enjoy it a lot and is well worth a read if you liked The Hunger Games.
on 19 January 2017
Could not put it down ince started. A great novel. Better than the Hunger Games.
on 4 October 2015
I loved this book. If you like the hunger games or divergent you will love this too. I read it in three days because I could not put it down.
on 13 August 2014
Great dystopian Japanese novel. All the different japanese names can be confusing at times so you have to concentrate on each character and their place in the story. More gritty and dark than The Hunger Games. Well recommended.