on 24 March 2016
Pretty good.

Full of typical Pratchett charm, but lacking something in the plot department. This is a wonderful short story with a very strong moral message, which has been beaten wafer-thin to fill a novel.

My main criticism is that only one character actually counts. You can remove every character except Adam Young (and perhaps the Them) and it wouldn't affect the outcome of the story in the slightest.

Newton, Anathema, Crowley, Shadwell, Madame Tracy, Aziraphale... even Agnes Nutter and her prophecies... all filler.

Adam Young is both hero and villain, and is the only person who influences what happens. Which is fine in a short story, but not so much in a full-length novel.

Beautiful characterisation and some great jokes hold it together.
on 5 October 2003
Unlike most people who have reviewed this book, I can't say I've ever been a fan of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books. I've only read one of them ('Mort'), and to be homest I found it a bit boring after the first couple of chapters....
That said, 'Good Omens' was recommended to me so I thought I'd give it a go, although I wasn't expecting it to live up to my mate's over-enthusiastic babblings!
I'll never doubt her again! This is genuinely the funniest and cleverest novel I've ever read. From start to finish every chapter is packed with bizarre and hilarious characters, situations and references. If it wasn't loosely in the 'fantasy' genre then I've no doubt it would be regarded as a classic. It supercedes even Spike Milligan and Stephen Fry in its humour, which I thought was impossible. Truly an astounding book, and those of us who aren't fans of Terry Pratchett should not be put off as the dark tone of the novel is quite different from his other works.
The 'Bohemian Rhapsody' car radio and the four bikers of the apocalypse both made me laugh until it hurt (and I'm not even joking!)
Fantastic book, undoubtedly my favourite. Recommended to anyone with an ounce of cynicism and a dark sense of humour!
on 23 August 2016
Good Omens , by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, is one of those books that once read you will always find yourself - sooner or later - going back to have another read of it. Technically speaking this is a re-read that I'm writing my review on but you know what? This is absolutely one of my favourite stories ever.

A short summary? An angel and a demon team up to try to stop the Apocalypse from happening when the Anti Christ reaches the correct age. Basically, it's a bit of a spoof on the movie The Omen except can you still consider a work in that parody category when it's arguably better written that it's source? Pratchett and Gaiman's styles of writing complement each other beautifully, bringing out the best in both and removing any perceived weakness someone could somehow relate to either. The characters are incredibly well rounded, and the humor of the book is such that it stands up to multiple re-readings and you will still find yourself gigging over sections.

The story is more than simply engaging, it's enveloping. The pace moves along at the correct speed, keeping you engrossed with each new word. You can't help but care about these characters, about the stakes that they are going through. Not just because the stakes are the end of the world but because we care about the characters and that is far more important, really.

Honestly? Good Omens is one of those books that I recommend to everyone. Because it is simply that good. It's a forever favourite and more people need to read it, really. Because Ineffability.
on 21 May 2014
I'd somehow missed this among Pratchett's work, but found it a hilarious take on 'The Omen' and similar stories. I saw the roots of many Pratchett themes in this book; the witches stand out for me, personally, along with assorted confused fanatics, and an Angel and a Demon who have more in common with each than, and with humanity, than they thought. A great pair of characters.

Laugh out loud funny and I need to read it again to remember just what it was I enjoyed so much....
What can I say? I've read Good Omens countless times and still, it is one of the best books I have ever read in my life.
The hilarious use of otherwordly characters is spot-on (the devil-dog that becomes a terrier and discovers cats) and the interesting interaction between the angel and the demon.
But the best part is how thoughtful the book. It captures what I believe is true human nature, caught between light and dark, equal parts demonic and angelic (some humans will do things even demons would find squeamish). In a way, there is much religious connonation to this story, whether that was intentional or not.
Buy the book, read the book, love the book, and then read it again.
on 3 February 2015
At least this one won't go missing!

Still funny and fresh after the umpteenth reread
I think everyone should get their own kindle copy even if you already
Have a printed copy. That way you will always have one. Mind you don't read it in the bath!
on 7 April 2015
Absolutely brilliant! So sorry I have not re-read this earlier. It will now be a staple part of my literary diet. The characters are amazing and carry you along on a roller coaster ride with never a straight face anywhere. I laughed the whole way through, which can earn you some funny looks when someone else in the room is watching something serious on the TV. Sorry!
Still don't know what happened to my original copy, though. My thoughts are that is was probably spirited away to another dimension, or discworld, where all other books that are missing are taken. Probably as a guide map to the human obsession with fantasy and escapism.
Even now, aliens are dissecting it, trying to get to grips with our human brain. Perhaps they think it's an actual non-fiction book and gives the secrets to life. (Probably does)
Then again, perhaps I just plain old lost the thing!
VINE VOICEon 3 May 2015
I know this sounds ridiculous but I felt almost obligated to love this book, due to reputation and the fact that I love both of the authors to bits. I can remember reading it when I was much younger and loving it, but this second reading over 10 years later has left me a bit baffled. To be honest, I would have just left it unfinished (shock!) if it wasn't for that feeling of obligation. It meanders all over the place and whilst there is nothing wrong with the story, it is very unsatisfying to read. I was able to read a chapter then not be particularly bothered about starting another for days. Like some of the other reviewers have said, I feel that this would work much better as a series or a film. I suppose it's because two imaginations that big are hard to contain in the one novel.
on 2 March 2015
A rollicking read - one feels that Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett bounced ideas off each other and the result is rather like a speeded-up Buster Keaton movie crossed with Nostradamus. Definitely worth re-reading at some point.
on 2 January 2014
looking through my purchase history and find among others that I failed to sing the deserved praises of this wonderful collaborative book.
I got this before I bought my Kindle so holding up a paperback was when I had arms like 10" Chrome Molybdenum, super heated steam pipe, and yet fatigue was never an issue. This was because of the magical content of the book, fooling my brain into shutting down my nervous system. For the time the reading lasted, who knows how long that was?, I was unaware of anything else. The drawback could be starvation or dehydration, so thank all the God's that obviously, the book was not that long.

Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, what a collaboration, yet where they conjoin in the telling of this supernova of wit and mental wilfulness is all but impossible to discern. They collide, conjoin, (in a nice way) and form one coherent being with fantastic and exhilarating ideas and characters. Even Agnes Nitt, who is the glue in many ways. I cannot praise this book highly enough even with words like fanciful, extravagant, extraordinary, irrational, wild, mad, incredible, fantastic or in polish, fantastyczny, I think.

Three times read and it will not be the last, as every time something different or alternative angle is forthcoming. Story within story, word layered on word, like spells with Isinglass, clearing a new wine, or the debris of what you may have once believed, clarity brought through contentment. I think that about does it.