Customer reviews

The Blade Itself: Book One Of The First Law (Gollancz S.F.): 1
Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(1 star). See all 457 reviews
on 4 June 2015
Sorry, not my cup of tea although I know other people who love this series
on 21 July 2014
Although this first part of the First Law trilogy is quite an entertaining read, you need to be warned. The saga becomes progressively more contrived and tedious through the next two books. Resulting in the most unsatisfying ending in the history of literature. After 2000 pages you will end up with no idea what happened to the main characters and with no clue as to how the saga ends. It is as if Mr Abercrombie tore up the last 10 chapters of the story and threw them in the bin.
When I reached the 'end' of the third book, Last argument of Kings, I was disappointed, angry and frustrated. Be warned, embark on this trilogy and you will probably feel the same!
on 28 July 2014
Purchased this book on the back of a - 'Similar to' referral. Well it wasn't. I found it to be a very dull and pointless grouping of words. Binned it after 129 pages of dross and do-little. The character Logen seemed worth following for a time, but after only a couple of appearances within an otherwise gray and drab world, full of pointless dreary characters, it really wasn't worth the bad to get to little instances of good. finally, I just had to call it a day.
on 27 June 2014
I chose this book as it had lots of good reviews and was recommended by goodreads from books I have already read. I have to admit that I haven't finished the book as I just could cope with the amounts of commas the author uses in nearly every sentence. I feel, that in parts, the author uses commas to convey a sense of emergency, however, other times, it just makes not sense, and makes it almost impossible to read. I'm sure there is probably a great story but the first few chapters are so poorly written that I will never know. Don't waste your money
on 10 May 2012
I bought 'The Blade Itself' due to the large amount of 5 star reviews on Amazon and the many comparisons of Abercrombie to Gemmell and Feist, but either I am from another universe or the reviewers are just good friends of the author and want him to do well.

The book was a struggle from the very start and every chapter I kept thinking to myself 'it is going to pick up soon as all those reviewers cannot be wrong', but it simply did not. I couldnt relate to any of the main characters in any way and found each chapter very repetitive in what I thought was a drab claustrophobic world.

In the end I gave up on the book three quarters of the way through as if anything the book was getting worst. I can honestly say I have never given up on a novel before and will usually force myself to get to the end but this book was too big a pill to swallow.

There must be something in Abercromie's books as he gets some great reviews on Amazon. I love the classic fantasy writers(Gemmell, Feist, Edding), but found Abercrombies work dull and hard work.
on 21 March 2008
I bought this book on the premise that so many readers couldn't be wrong. WRONG, I hated this book from the first page, I tried to read the rest of it but finally gave up in utter disgust I have to say that if this is made into a film I for one will not be watching it.
44 Comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 April 2012
There is a line between good and evil and this book not only crosses that line, but goes far onto the other side.

In the very first paragraph the main character is graphically torturing someone.

This books seems to be a symptom of society that previously had morality and traditional values and has gradually moved further and further down the dark path towards greater "freedom", but in so doing we die a little inside each time, torture, rape and evil become common practice and accepted.

It saddens me that 86+ people reviewed this book and gave it 5 stars.

So why did I buy it?

There is a romantic element at the moment with movies, games and books about common people, orphans, peasants, poor people, who despite their circumstances are able to become something, whether through a thieves guild or as an assasin using their talents for the greater good.

This book goes in a completely different direction as if we want to become serial killers, I wish I could give it a negative rating!
77 Comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 April 2010
I like nothing more than a thick slice of fantasy but this did nothing for me ... I persevered long after I would have with any other book in the hope that things would start looking up but halfway through I've put it in the box to go to the charity shop. Slow and tedious when it could have been sharper and pacier: not one of the characters did i have any empathy for. Does Jezal ever win his sword fight? No idea, and what's more I don't care.
22 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 November 2007
I was very excited by the reviews but found this book to be a real letdown. I felt that the story was populated by stock characters none of whom seemed to develop. The character motivation seemed similar in virtually every instance and progression barely existant. The dark side of the novel, the machinations of a crippled torturer, seemed bland and repetitive. The band of barbarians read like Pratchett's 'Cohen the Barbarian and the Silver Horde'. It takes an age for the plot to get started and then it rips along at almost glacial speed until you lose the will to bother picking the book up to read. Sorry to disagree with so many other people - I can see lots of you have loved this book but I found it really hard work.
11 Comment| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 April 2015
straight to the charity shop