Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 March 2017
A while ago I read an article about the best fantasy novels that had yet to be made into films. The Blade Itself was up there behind Game of Thrones. Well Thrones went quite well and if anyone applies the right amount of funds and skill to put this on the big or small screen they might well have a winner.

I say might because the real appeal of the book is the characters and not a one of them has much in the way of positive virtues. Whether a man or woman they are often dark violent cruel unhinged stupid driven and indifferent. Sometimes all of the above. Joe Abercrombie's skill is to make them compelling, and by wrapping them in the folds of dark humour that pervade the story you cannot fail to love them. Maybe.

This is an epic that twists and turns, rushes up on you, twists you around and leaves you breathless. It's smart, horrific, endlessly inventive and cinematic in its vision. I absolutely loved it.

Joe Abercrombie is a stone cold genius.
on 25 June 2017
I was gripped from the start, gripped like someone had chained me to the sofa and glued my kindle to my hands. However I'll say WARNING ⚠ THE MOST VIOLENT FANTASY BOOK I'VE READ: not for the faint hearted or for that matter not for anyone who minds that sick feeling when the gore goes past your limit. But the book and the series it's part of are THE BEST FANTASY BOOKS I'VE READ. The book is pure gritty/dark/grim-dark fantasy which takes you through a bloody journey through life's grey areas and the pure black ones too. The protagonist is a haunted man, not surprising considering his bloody past, he blacks out in battles a true berserker but as he tries to find a way out from fighting his past won't let him.
on 21 July 2017
I had heard great things about this book before finally deciding to read it. I was told it was up there with the best fantasy novels but I'm not sure I would hold it in such high regard but I did enjoy it. It starts off very well and gets you immersed straightaway. As it goes on, new lands, cities and characters keep you entertained. However the storyline didn't have up at night, unable to put it down. I'm not sure why, but I wasn't blown away by the plot although some parts I really enjoyed. I also found it odd, and frustrating, that there was no map included seeing as the there are many different lands mentioned and there locations have an important role in the story. Overall, I was enjoyed it and will get round to reading the next instalment eventually.
on 20 July 2017
This is a great read, full of action, magic and gritty, earthy descriptions. The heroes are flawed and Glokta's black humour is an absolute delight. If you like your fantasy fiction with a heavy dollop of dry sarcasm and jaded cynicism you'll love this.
on 17 July 2015
I thought to try a new author and fiction story and thoroughly enjoyed all three books. The pace is great through all 3 books, excellent characters in the story and I love the way he depicts different story lines and different viewpoints from the various characters. Strongly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a great tale.
on 16 March 2017
Really enjoyed reading this book very paced lots going on looking
Forward to reading next book.Hope it will be as good as last.
on 31 March 2017
Worth the read and very addictive. Joe created a vibrant and elegant world with new and innovative ideas on how to write a fantasy book.
on 11 March 2017
Usually I go for books that focus on one character. This book tells the story's of many but i felt connected to all of them.
The ending has me glued when you finally see the bloody nine unleashed
on 28 May 2017
Super characters and a flare for creating a fantasy world. Glokta is his best creation, followed by The Bloody-Nine. You'll be hooked from the first page.
on 5 May 2017