on 6 February 2014
What a book to finish my 2013 reading! Thoroughly absorbing, interesting characters who are changed by events that happen to them, great backstory, twisty plot in the front-story leading to nail-biting tension. Highly recommended.

Trying not to give away too many spoilers we get to see the formation of the Gentlemen Bastards, a gang of young men devoted to the gentle art of thievery in a fantasy analogue of Venice. Through inserted backstory interludes we see them as starveling orphans being gradually educated and moulded into a five-man gang so close-mouthed that even the other thieves in the city (and the Capa who rules them all) don't know what they get up to.

Locke is a cocky child, too clever for his own good, who grows up into a cocky Gentleman Bastard devising elaborate scams to part the rich from their money. The balance of power changes with the arrival of the Grey King and his powerful bondmage, a challenge to the Capa Barsavi and his stable rule of the underworld, and an even bigger challenge to Locke and his gang who, as it turns out, are still too clever for their own good.

This builds from Locke's success through setback upon setback. There are penalties and consequences for everyone, but a very satisfying conclusion kept me up reading way later than I should.

There are at least two more Gentleman Bastard books and I'll be seeking them out immediately to add to my 2014 to-read list. I'm hoping that some story droplets not mopped up in the first book will soak into the pages of the next two.
on 20 October 2017
Now, let me preface this by saying Lynch is a wonderful writer, a writer who can paint a beautiful picture, every sentence lofty and heavily detailed - which is why I found this near impossible to get through.

I was left feeling as though the action would never come. I didn't feel engrossed in the world Lynch painstakingly painted, as much as I felt overwhelmed by it. I went in to this as I'm sure many will hoping for The Palace Job, or The Realm of the Elderlings stylings, however the narrative was slow with superfluous detail... The exact opposite I would hope for a roguish adventure.

It's got it's gasps, laughs and fun however it's wedged between 70% of slow, heavy-handed, derivative world building.
on 5 November 2017
Such a great new series, genuinely fascinating universe Lynch has created, and compelling characters to fill it. He sets scenes wonderfully, you are rarely, if ever, left wondering what an area looks or feels like. He can describe dirty and gritty scenes, and lavish, rich settings of comfort. All the while setting into motion a fantastical series with lots of secrets to uncover. Cannot recommend enough!
on 8 May 2017
Clunky with some incredible gotcha moments. The first 100 pages are painful and really should have been reworked... but without them, the final gotcha moment (which is EPIC) would have fizzled.
on 26 July 2017
I found the book world a bit difficult to get into at first, but feel exiled now the book is finished. It's a long one! Very involved too, but I had no problems with who was who. Now to get the energy to read the next one...
on 25 June 2017
I picked this book up on recommendations of Pat Rothfuss and my god was it a great read. The main characters are likeable and fun and the villains are downright bastards and I hate them, as you should with any solid bad guy.

The midpoint plot twist/reveal was well executed and I did not see it coming. It actually made me well up a tad.

Overall this book had everything it needed to make it a great and in just the right amounts. 5/5 stars is to low.
on 15 March 2017
First book by Scott Lynch that I have read and really enjoyed it. A very different kind of story and thoroughly enjoyable. Will want more of this author!!
on 16 October 2017
What a great story, completely engrossed from the start.
Next book stated immediately!
Such great characters and a fantastic plot
on 6 May 2017
I enjoyed all of the characters very much. I particularly liked the Spider. I cannot wait to read the next novel.
on 6 September 2017
I quite enjoyed this book, it certainly had enough about it to keep my attention. Looking forward to the installment.