Customer reviews

Rendezvous With Rama (S.F. Masterworks S.)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 July 2013
Arthur C Clarke describes our encounter with a huge cylinder built by alien hands that enters our solar system. It's our first encounter with aliens although we have populated the other planets and moons (except Venus?). A crew of astronauts board the craft and explore the interior but have great difficulty discerning the function of what they find. There doesn't seem to be life aboard, or is there? Clarke's great skill is in imagining a truly alien vista and doing it so credibly. I read the book in a couple of days such is the compelling nature of the saga as each revelation occurs. I heartily recommend this book to anyone who has the slightest interest in science fiction.
on 1 February 2018
Fully disappointed. I love this writer and did not expect this boring story. The basis is great, so it is a pity how he developed everything. I know this is the first part, but it discouraged me to continue with the second part.
on 26 April 2013
This was my first ACC novel, and I really enjoyed it. I've read plenty of classic SF writers and wondered whether the language would be a little stilted, or the ideas outdated. They aren't.

ACC writes in a decent colloquial voice that doesn't get in the way of the storytelling. His light touches of scientific explanation don't intrude a jot.

This is a really enjoyable novel, written for pace, and is full of mystery. The intriguing ending doesn't disappoint.

Recommended for classic SF fans.

8 / 10

David Brookes
Author of 'Half Discovered Wings'
on 6 December 2017
Good Read. I won't say more, I don't do spoilers.
on 11 September 2015
Arthur C Clarke at his best. It's been many years since I last read any of his books, but I have re-discovered why I read him in the first place. His imagination never ceases to amaze me, this story underlines it. Very few sci-fi writers, other than Issac Asimov, can match him. Would recommend to anyone who enjoys sci-fi at it's best.
on 18 July 2013
I loved how this was written, in quite a 'relaxed' style (sorry, that's the best way I can put it). There are no laser weapons, no alien battles, this is real life in an unreal situation. Science fiction, not melodrama. If you like sci-fi just read this.

Just a note for kindle users - the kindle version of this seems to have been scanned with optical character recognition software. There are quite a few errors that a proof-read might have picked up.
on 31 May 2018
The closing chapter of this book is haunting and perfectly balances that feeling of not knowing all the answers and feeling like you still got a good story. After reading reviews for the second book I am going to treat this as the only one. It ends in the same way as most questions about time and space: open to a sleepless night of pondering... but in a good way.
on 21 January 2018
Loved this from beginning to end,thoroughly captured me. I was on the edge of my seat at times and really fell for the characters and this mysterious planet. Beautiful, can't wait to read more about it!
on 5 March 2017
Interesting and enjoyable I just wish there was a great sequel. ( don't want to give the story away ). Leaves me thinking.
on 21 March 2014
Highly Recommended.
One of the great SF novels, it was an excellent read.
Once you start reading it, you won't be able to put it down.
Arthur managed to decsribe things in such details that you can get a clear picture of RAMA in your head.
All excitement and fun packed in few hundred pages. MUST READ.
Can't wait for the movie (yet to be made) on this one.