Ringworld (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 November 2016
Kindle edition: My kindle copy of this is terribly edited. I think it must have been scanned in by a text reader, I've read the original a couple of times and I know it pretty well, so even though there are some words that are completely wrong (the result of the software mis-identifying a word), it didn't ruin the narrative much. Don't let the shoddy editing and spelling errors put you off though!

The book itself: It's from the 70's, so the science is a bit vague and somewhat lacking. But it's a good ride and a good introduction to one of my long-standing favourite series, and the Ringworld itself is always breathtaking. In his Known Space tales Niven created a universe that's part Starship Troopers, part Star Trek and part Outer Limits - a mix I really enjoy. The Ringworld novels get better as they go on (as does Niven's writing), but this is the starting point upon which the rest is built, so it's worth it.
on 8 March 2016
This may not be the most original or profound book you will ever read, but it keeps you interested throughout, in a fun and not too taxing way. I enjoyed it. It's a bit dated in parts, with regard to gender, but so is a lot of fiction that's still good in other respects. It becomes a bit of a 'road movie' in an alien landscape, in a way that keeps giving you enough new scenarios / encounters for you to stay intrigued enough to want to read on. I would recommend to anyone who likes sci fi of the exploring an alien world type, which is not so complicated that you have to wait ages to figure who the helm is who or how strands will come together, but is more than just a simplistic comic strip style adventure. Good to unwind with.
on 21 August 2017
One of the best Si-Fi books I've ever read (or listened to)! The perfect combination of science and story with a hint of humour thrown in.
on 4 April 2018
A fine retro science fiction read. Perhaps a little dated nowadays but still had its moments. A gargantuan monument of staggering engineering has manufactured a colossal ring world. This ring world circles an entire star. It has a surface area in excess of 300 million Earths. The visitors can barely scratch the surface.

The Last Days of Thunder Child: Victorian Britain in chaos!
on 9 October 2016
Larry Niven is one of the five Greatest Ever sci-fi authors. His creations are so mind-stretching, without being fantasy, and his science is spot on- just the right balance of hard sci-fi and fun. His set of 'known space' books are excellent and should never be lost- I'm so glad they were released to Kindle format! As you are browsing this book, you are probably interested in Sci-Fi. Don't even bother to sample it, just order it! Tanj, you have a great treat in store that I wish I still had!
Maybe I am biased, as this author introduced me to reading for recreation when I was an 18 year old tearaway, and Ringworld was the book that did it. Thanks for the gifts Mr Niven.
on 3 May 2017
I'm working my way through the Hugo award winning novels and this was next in the list and, in terms of pure enjoyment, this is one of the best. Nice concepts, strong characters, story that moves at a pace and a satisfying ending. The novel gives away it's age in places and later books that have stolen ideas means this lacks surprise in places but it is most definitely worth a read and is highly recommended.
on 30 January 2018
I think I must have read it many years ago but it didn't stay with me and, on revisiting it, I can see why and it hasn't aged that well. The sexism in particular is grating. There are 2 female characters, both there mainly for sex and whose intelligence is constantly questioned. The plot too is ultimately unsatisfying an increasingly fractured as the book goes on.
on 18 July 2017
I would have given more stars if it wasn't for the plot thing about luck...i didn't buy it because i thought that it was a silly idea to put a such a ridiculous and unlikely thing as breeding people for luck....in any unimaginable and gigantic universe, you could not guarantee any kind of luck. I really enjoyed the Ring world though.
on 7 January 2017
Possibly my all-time favourite piece of sci-fi writing - the whole concept is so awesome it still gives me tingles thinking about it 25 years after first reading it. Bought it again in the SF Masterworks reprint edition just because!
The sequels aren't as good as the original, although they're worth reading, but never re-capture that sense of amazement with the sheer scale of the spectacle that the original Halo gives.
on 28 April 2016
This is one of the best books, possibly the best book, I have ever read (in 40 years as a sci-fi enthusiast).

If you like science fiction and entertaining a few interesting concepts in physics, you probably have already read this book by now.

If you find it too easy to understand all the concepts but enjoyed the read, try Integral Trees by the same author. That will stretch the imagination a bit more.