Customer reviews

The Fall of Hyperion (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 September 2017
This book breaks two pretty solid rules for sci-fi/fantasy: don't make up too many unnecessary words and make every book in a series individually satisfying.

It just doesn't matter though. Having rolled my eyes at all the sci-fi nonsense in the first chapter, I found myself drawn in and read half the book in one sitting. It follows a Generation X style format where characters take turns to tell their own stories and each story is fascinating. The characters feel very different, their stories really do seem to come from different narrators. Some are pulpy and exciting, others are really touching.

The end is a bit disappointing, it is basically put off to be dealt with in the second book. However, this first entry in the series is so well written that reading the next one was necessity for me anyway.
on 2 September 2015
Oh, now I remember why I love science fiction! Thoroughly riveting and original, other reviewers have explained the plot so won't go there. Couldn't wait to finish and hated finishing it, got the next book in the series and if it's half as good, I will be happy.
on 22 October 2017
A sequel to Hyperion which is a great SF novel I read some 25 years ago. I was pleased to get this hardcover version which is a 1st edition and matches the one I got in 1991. There are 2 more books in the Hyperion Cantata series which I hope to read next.
on 9 May 2017
Overall a well-written book, putting a spin on a literary classic. Some of the characters' tales were more absorbing than others but that is to be expected as we see ourselves in, and click with, individuals in the book (the curse of multiple character plot lines), but the frame story held me to the end and has successfully prompted me to buy the next in the series.
on 16 February 2017
One of my favourite books of all time.
Highly recommended.
I can't wait to try more of his work. Amazing!
on 22 April 2017
Arrived on time and product as expected.
on 5 October 2017
Good
on 4 August 2017
All good.
on 14 September 2017
Simply fantastic, whole series.
on 21 August 2017
The Sci-Fi gift that keeps on giving...