on 20 November 2016
The novel skirts some dangerous territory with its overly detailed description of the 1800's but this fits in with the conceit of time travel being a psychological phenomenon.

Where it scores masssively is in a well written and sympathetic protagonist and in making an exciting story around events that, to a large extent, can't be changed.

It was written in 1970 and exudes a certain air of innocence absent in today's literature but is nonetheless still a fantastically written and very clever story.

One of the best time travel novels I've read.
on 1 September 2012
'Psst! Wanna work on a secret project for the Government? So secret I can't tell you anything about it!' Most of us, I suspect, would shy away from such an unlikely offer, but not the hero of this time-travel classic. This is the first of many suspensions of disbelief needed to get the most out of this book. The project turns out to be a highly implausible method of slipping into 1882 New York, basically to see if it can be done.

Once the rather laborious set-up is done with, it gets very interesting, and the descriptions make the period come to life. They are a little overdone, but the photos help, and it becomes clear this is a labour of love on the part of the author. Once the plot gets underway, the usual time-travel plot logic problems occur, notably the ending, which I won't give away.

Even so, I really enjoyed this, and my thought throughout was that it cries out to be made into a large scale deluxe hardback, complete with street atlases and photographs of New York in 1882 and 1970, when the novel is set. The publishers are missing a real opportunity! I've read nothing else like it in the fantasy genre. Some of the 1970s perspective is a little dated now, and the poverty of the period is alarmingly by-passed for much of the time, but this was still a most enjoyable read.
VINE VOICEon 28 February 2010
I am left a bit confused at the end of this book. I thought it started off really well, I loved the idea of Si Morley willing himself to travel across time to the Dakota Building in New York in the late 1880s. Maybe if you are American, you will enjoy this book a lot more, knowing New York and all the buildings mentioned.

I did enjoy the story, and couldn't figure out what was going to happen, or how it was going to end, but I found the last two thirds of the book quite heavy going, in particular I found the section which deals with the fire, very long. The time when Si and Julia are trapped in the office went particularly slowly, I found.

There were an awful lot of names to remember, and I just couldn't be bothered to keep working out who was who. I did like the section which takes place in the boarding house, and the sleigh ride sequence.

This could have been made into a marvellous film, and I'm surprised that nobody has ever attempted it.

It's different, and you will get absorbed by this book, it will make you think about time, and how the world has changed .....
on 25 October 2013
I bought and read this book after reading Stephen King's 11/22/63, as he referred to it as the best time travel book ever and, I think, took some ideas from it.

I found it had promise at first but then got a bit stale and turgid and drawn out too much. Maybe would be better received by someone who know New York well (where it's set), but I wasn't interested in that; more of the mechanism Finney used to get his character back and forth in time. And this wasn't a machine - seems just a thought process.

Anyway not outstanding, but sufficiently intriguing for me to buy his more recent sequel. Let’s see how that goes...
on 25 February 2017
The book was recommended by Stephen King at the end of his time travel adventure book. It was 70% through this story before it got anywhere near interesting. You have to wade through pages and pages of boring descriptions of old New York. The chase through the city running from the police had me wanting to turn the pages. Then the finale was a huge disappointment. I'm not going to bother reading any of the sequels to this story.
on 16 October 2013
I really enjoyed this book, an ideal holiday read. I agree with a previous reviewer that the descriptions are sometimes a little detailed but I think it adds to the atmosphere. And it's also true that if you have been to New York and know what the streets and the park look like it will mean a lot more as you are reading. But I think we've all seen New York on tv enough to have a good idea of what it's like. The story is fun, the people likeable, the bad guy perfectly horrid and I really really did not see the ending coming. It is a SAFE read. When you feel like reading something entertaining but absorbing which will leave you feeling uplifted rather than emotionally frayed at the edges then I can recommend Time and Again. It's believable despite the time travel impossibility and the people come alive. I wanted to be there, to see it all too. Flying somewhere long haul? This is the book for you.
on 1 June 2016
My favourite book of all time.
I was recommended this book when I moved to NYC in 1988 from a lovely little bookshop in Greenwich Village.
To be able to walk around this city and follow the locations in the book was a joy.
I myself could sit in Central Park and imagine the scenes from the book in color and not the black and white images we see from this time period.
I have all Jack Finneys books and now I own on my iPad .
I just wish this book would have been made into a Movie as I know the rights were purchased by Robert Redford.......but then again no!
on 13 September 2017
I bought this book as an Amazon recommendation. Very good plot line, and for any science fiction lover, this book is a must!
on 6 April 2018
It was a real pleasure to be in New York before it became the bustling metropolis it is today. This was a lovely, captivating book and I am looking forward to reading the second in the series.
on 23 July 2009
An advertising artist, Si Morley, is recruited as a guinea pig to travel back to the New York of January 1882. There are no time machines in use here, just total dedication to a particular time and place, saturation in the style of talk and dress of the period, and a touch of self-hypnosis. The importance of belief would appear to sit well with artistic Simon Morley because from his birthdate we can deduce he is a Pisces.
In comparison to Finney's The Body Snatchers this is a much more accomplished piece of writing. Everything in the past is described in historically accurate detail and the book contains many old photographs and drawings. Storywise it is gripping and deserves its reputation as one of the best time travelling stories in the genre. Like the main character we get drawn deeper and deeper into the environment and events of the past. The people become real, there is a woman to whom he is attracted... and inevitably Simon will break the time-honoured cosmic traveller's rule and get personally involved in the lives of others, changing history as he does so. I didn't want the story to end; and near the end it accelerates with subtle twists and surprises so that you can not be sure how it will end. But it does, and satisfactorily so.