Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 17 January 2011
I purchased this book because it was about man living on the Moon. I have always been fascinated by stories set on the Moon - I guess this comes from growing up at the time of the Moon Landing.

This is my first novel by Arthur C. Clarke, and as I enjoyed the style of writing immensely - will certainly not be my last!

I found this book easy to read; enjoyable, and with just about the right amount of suspense to keep me satisfied without all those over-long and invented words and names that become so tiresome in this genre... About the only criticism (and it is small) that I would have, is the fact that there was not enough story before the big 'accident' outlining life as it is on the Moon. I would have liked more background to day-to-day living by the Moon's inhabitants to begin with - but it seemed to me the Author appeared a little too eager to get into the 'life threatening' and crisis situation part of the story way too soon...

However; a very enjoyable read indeed that I could recommend to any SF fan.

NOTE: 'SF Masterworks' series has some of the finest examples in this genre, and I find do stunningly attractive artwork for their chosen titles, but the quality of these Editions leave a lot to be desired... The print, though bold is poor somehow; there are numerous spelling errors, missing or duplicated words - and even the print is not the same size throughout! It's also a bit small too for my liking - but I'm always 'seduced' by the outstanding and enticing artwork!

on 29 December 2015
Although I am an Arthur C Clarke fan, this book is sadly dated now - not just in the science, but in terms of social attitudes and realism of the kind of scenario described in this book. The old school sexism and character assasination performed on all but Clarke's narrow views of a certain elite, make this book difficult to engage with. Clarke has produced some great science fiction, but sadly this book is more about people in a disaster situation than it is about science - and people and dialogue are clearly not Clarke's strong point.
on 3 July 2010
...a series of A-level Physics questions to follow each chapter. The story is pretty slow, and not a lot happens. A scientist decides not to bother following up on something and packs up his equipment. The next time we come to him, he has unpacked it again and is back on the trail. Realistic, but fairly clumsy writing. Only recommended for ACC die-hards. Or A-level students looking for a revision break.

on 21 November 2016
I originally read this book many years ago. I have seen some reviews that think it is dated. But, when you consider it was originally published in 1961, 8 years before man set foot on the moon and 20 years before the first space shuttle flight, it is a stunning work.
I have given only 5 stars, because, whilst the reader was reasonably good, he didn't differentiate very much vocally between the various characters. Also, maybe not his fault entirely, changes of scene were not well defined leaving the listener (me anyway) confused at times.
However, having just finished listening to the story, I asm left wondering why there isn't a movie version as it would be an ideal candidate.
on 20 January 2015
A classic science fiction / disaster story. The characterisations might be a little light weight but the drama draws you in. I was delighted to read this again for the first time in years and find it has stood the test of time. A good tightly written 'will they / won't they survive' disaster story.

Great fun.

This was my first kindle book and it worked great. I noticed a couple of spelling mistakes but no more than you get in any novel!

If you want a quick adventure story about people battling for survival in a perilous situation written in a classic way then give this a try,