Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on 23 August 2016
I'm not quite as gushing as some of the previous reviewers, but I have to say that, for the most part, I enjoyed this very much. Priest's writing is fantastic and the various strands of this are drawn together wonderfully. It works best when its not explained, like the creatures in the towers, or the reason for the war. The conceit of presenting this as a travel guide is a wonderful one that really lends itself to the stories. Priest's writing is perhaps at its best when he's bringing alive the passions and conceits of his protagonists, and there are some fabulous moments here. I would definitely recommend this novel.
There are some authors who really should transcend genre and one of these is Christopher Priest who whilst he's known for Science Fiction writes in a style of a magician (which is appropriate enough considering he wrote the Prestige) as he manages to distract you with subtlety so that you don't notice what's happened before he's ready to reveal it to you. It's wonderfully imaginative and whilst I haven't read his whole back catalogue I did recognise some of the characters from having appeared in other titles.

Add to this a wonderfully brusque descriptive manner and he's an author who cuts to the heart of the story, making it character based and thought provocative. It's clever, it has its own witticism about it and when you add the final touch of a story that was hard to put down its one that left me exhausted when I turned the final page. A real joy and one I'll look forward to reading again.
on 19 June 2015
A bit of a weird book. Couldn't make my mind up if it is SciFi or not. A bit inconclusive but compelled me to read to the end despite it not really being my type of book!
on 9 December 2014
Dream like quality the - captivating.