on 12 May 2017
Good compilation. Nice thing to have after reading all these on kindle.
on 15 November 2000
I have read these books individually several times and they are my favorites. I am an all-around Discworld fan but especially a Watch fan. The static characters (Colon, Nobby, Lady Sybil) are always great and the dynamic characters (Vimes, Carrot, ¡Angua!) are even better. These are people you can get to know and love. Don't forget to pick up The Fifth Elephant too. What's good about this book? The comedy isn't cheap, it's thoughtful. It's an honest book with entertaining and so-true insights into human behavior. Give these books a chance.
VINE VOICEon 4 August 2004
This book is a most enjoyable compilation of three of Terry Pratchett's books about the Ankh-Morpork City Watch. It is achingly funny, poignant and sarcastic, sometimes all three at the same time.
The books trace the adventures of Captain Vimes, Corporal Carrott, who is the tallest dwarf in the known universe, (to understand why this is, you will have to read the stories) and the rest of Ank-Morpork's finest. The finest what, is up to each reader to decide for themselves, heavy hint, they are not Sherlock Holmes clones, but they somehow get the job done,
If you have not read any of the author's other books you could do worse than start with this one. I admit to a slight prejudice here, the City Watch books are my favourite, (though all the others are equally good) reading them allways brings a smile to the face, and the not so occasional guffaw to the lips.
on 17 March 2012
The premise of Discworld is spread across all of Terry Pratchett's books, but there are encapsulated domains within, albeit with nodding reference to the others, which makes groups of stories unique in character featuring the Witches, Rincewind, Death (the character) and these, the City Watch. The differences in character between these collections manages to keep the writings fresh and interesting, and rather than thinking that you have to read all 37, 38 (?) books to "complete the set", you are drawn to certain scenarios. Collected together in these trilogies is a wonderful way to revisit and rediscover Pratchett's genius.
on 3 February 2011
I bought a hardcover version of the watch trilogy because the pocketbook versions of "Gaurds Guards" and "feet of clay" are falling appart. I my 3 sons an wife reread this book regulary. "feet of clay" is one of the best Pratchett books in my opinion. It has philosofical implications hidden down deep and shows the matured characters of Vimes, Vetinari and Carrot. It is the book to read when you feel down and since i havent memorized all of it i can still reread it with joy.
on 9 June 2000
This book was so gripping. When I first read it, I had not actually read many books before, sticking to my comics and such. It set my firm love for Discworld in concrete. What can I say? The book's characters are great, humourous and add their own little bit to the story. The story itself was an interresting one and I have to admit I dint get the ending of the book. It is a funny crime novel, set in the world of discworld. A brilliant combination.
on 19 April 2013
If you've ever read any Pratchett you'll understand.
As a friend of mine once said, I laughed so much I nearly wet myself!
Regards
Joolze (:-)
on 17 July 2015
Arrived in good condition and a great read.
on 17 November 2013
Again another book on the shelf waiting to be read, which I have no doubts will be as good as all the others.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse