Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 November 2001
Olwen Walmark has an amazing gift allowing him to provide an enchanting play, but showing the truth about how hard it is to live with a person with autism. I am going to perform this play in a few days and I am mother one and Nicky the younger brother. My brother has autism and this play has really helped me try to understand his feelings.
on 28 August 1999
I went to see the 'Odd theatre' company's adaption of 'find Me' with an open mind. Having not previously read the play, I did not know what to expect. As a theatre studies A'level student, I have seen plenty of terrible 20th Century plays and somewhat expected this to be similar. However, from the moment the play started, I was hooked. Olwyn Whymarks fast-paced, sympathetic portrayal of a family trying to deal with an autistic child in an era where mental illness was still rare was touching, sensitive and, at times, extremely funny. Whymark's unique style of writing was engaging from start to finish, so much so that I returned to see the play the following week, bought the script, and am now studying part of the play for my A'level Individual skills! A definate must see/read!
on 28 December 2006
I first saw this play as an A-Level performance in my school, going to see the performance as a way of deciding if i should do drama or not. This play persuaded me completly. If I'd had any doubt...then this swashed it. Completly. The way of this entire play was amazing, it was written sensitivly, but Olwen Wymark is determined not to molly-coddle the audience or performers. You're either there to observe this true story or you're there to re-enact it and teach others. Each way is hard, and trying on each individual. There were times I cried when trying to perform this, realising just how misunderstood she was, or still is, and were unable to be Verity I. If you're after a nice about happiness and friendships, you're in the wrong place. it's strong-willed and determined to show up the social services and mental health systems of its time. Six years for setting light to a chair? Now days you wouldn't even get an ASBO.

I reccomend you read it, feel it, love it, laugh, cry, frown, get angry...whatever it is you do. Admire it. And admire the author. And feel for Verity.
on 7 March 2011
I am an A-level student currently studying this amazing piece of dramatic but naturalistic peice of drama. The fact that the play highlights the deficiencies of social services, failing to understand what Verity's disorder was, is so true of what we see today. I have two cousins with severe Austism, and its suprising how long it took for doctors and social services to see that something was wrong. It not only begs the audience to FIND ME, but it also begs them to understand. Shown through the fast paced and sympathetic portrayal of Verity's character, I think its fair to say that this play addresses these issues delicatley but forceful enough to open our eyes to everyone in society. Everyone is different, but we should all except them and eachother for who they are :)
Definatley recommend!
on 6 October 2003
Having performed part of this play for my A level performance a few years back I feel inclined to advise anyone with interests in theatre or anyone who is related to or knows anyone with a disorder like Verity's to read this play. It is not a case study (as shown through five differant Verity's) and can be related to a number of differant experiences. It is bold yet sensitive Olwyn Wymark didn't feel the need to sugarcoat any of the events (as this was based on a true story) and the result is provocative and touching. You haven't lived till you've read this play.
on 23 November 2007
This play is by far among the best I have ever had the honour to perform in. Having done a lot of work with learning disabilities covering the spectrum I found this play impossible to be a part of without getting emotionally involved. I remember crying as I read the epilogue. A true story of the worst kind showing up, as it does, the history of mental health care while still raising questions about standards and views that last to this day. This play is certainly not one for the light hearted but if you want to be moved and challenged by it's subject then you certainly won't regret buying a copy.
on 12 May 2000
I am only a 15 yr old school student studying this play and having to act it out for my Gcse, but I feel this play has A LOT to offer. Never before have I felt more interested in a performance. The fact that it is a true story just sticks in your head all the time when the main character 'Verity' has her various outbursts. At times it is very moving and emotional as you imagine how her family must have felt. I have had to study her character a lot as I am playing her in some evry important scenes, e.g. A firwork scene with her family where you can see her explosive behaviour. I would not have come and written a review about it if I really did not think this play was excellent. Keeps you hooked right until the end. Even then, you feel satisfied and have to read it again.
on 6 April 2003
This is a difficult play for both cast and audience.
Difficult for the audience because the actors frequently swap characters. Invariably the role adopted is indicated by a scarf or a coat.
The author states in the preface that this is essential to the play - I assume this is so that the audience observe what is going on and do not get too involved with the individuals.
It is a demanding play for the cast as they are required to undertake a variety of roles and ages.
The play itself is quite damning of the role of social services in the 1960's and 70's and how society finds it difficult to cope with "difficult" children.
on 15 February 2014
This is a brilliant play for GCSE students. The subject matter is both engaging and thought provoking, and the theatre techniques used lend themselves to teaching dramatic form effectively.
on 12 December 2016
State of the book was not what I expected. There's used and there's used! Looked grubby and the cover fell off. Paid well over the odds - be warned.