Customer reviews

When We Are Married (Acting Edition)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 November 2015
A hoot!
on 6 August 2011
This is the third of J B Priestley's plays to appear in the BBC's Classic Radio Theatre series. It features a play (subtitled 'A Yorkshire farcical comedy') which, since its premiere in 1938, must have been staged many hundreds of times by amateur and professional companies alike. It never fails to please since its plot lends itself to a feast of comic situations. Set in 1908 in the fictitious but highly recognisable West Riding town of Cleckleywyke it concerns three eminently respectable couples who, whilst jointly celebrating their Silver Weddings, discover that they were not properly married. What follows is a succession of embarrassments and revelations that put the cat among the pigeons with a vengeance. This is a 1994 Priestley Centenary recording in which a starry cast, including Alan Bennett, Alun Armstrong, Brenda Blethyn, Nicola Pagett and Elizabeth Spriggs, expertly brings Priestley's comedy to life. Highly recommended even if the 90-minute time frame means there are some cuts in the text, one or two of them rather regrettable.
TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 15 September 2011
I first heard this on the old BBC radio 7 which is now BBC 4 extra. At the time I had just read the play and wondered how the radio dramatisation would be presented. I have to say it lived up to all my expectations and the pompous were brought down with a crash and the sound effects and atmosphere were perfect. The cast all did wonderfully well and this shows how effective well produced radio drama can be. The AudioGo people are issuing many classic plays so watch this space. They are good value and nicely packaged and make great gifts or the start of a radio drama collection.
on 9 March 2012
comedy from the Golden Era again little plays and shows for the easy listening. Will be a good xmas idea for anyone that enjoyed the golden Era of radio when they were younger. There used to be lots of little programmes that were on, as there wasn't TV then so radio was important.
on 23 April 2013
Ever since seeing this on tv I've wanted a copy and thought I'd never get one. There's no DVD but this is definitely the next best thing. It's done brilliantly and I'm so glad to have it. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it for sale. It arrived promptly and in perfect condition. Will definitely buy from this seller again.
on 25 January 2013
Clever, witty and so true to life. J.B. was a lion in his time. A stellar cast I would recommend it to anyone
on 15 December 2016
It took longer to arrive than I had hoped and I could see it was a used copy but I wanted to read it as a possible production for my drama group, so I have no complaints. It was a fair price for what I wanted it for.
on 10 January 2014
A play of his I did not know, and as we had been speaking about it recently thought I would buy it. Something of a period piece but v amusing.
on 7 January 2017
Really enjoyed reading this play, after recently reading An Inspector Calls. Would be great to see on stage now! Highly recommended.
on 8 February 2015
Really enjoyed it. Excellent recording of this classic play