on 22 October 2014
I buy an updated version of this every year, not only for myself, but as the perfect chrismas presents for friends who like me (until I discovered Mr Halley) are bemused at the sheer volume of wines available in any supermarket. How are you expected to chose? The supermarkets themselves refuse to stock this book because their wines are not the only ones chosen. Objective, down-to-earth but witty with a clear scoring system. I never go to Aldi, Tesco, Morrisons, the CO-op, Waitrose, Majestic etcl without my wine bible.
on 2 October 2008
This is an inexpensive, easy-to-use guide which can help you sort the bargains from the mass-market trash. It can also give you more confidence to try unfamiliar grapes and wine styles. However, his scoring system reflects value for money rather than outright quality, and in 2008 I found many of his high-scoring recommendations rather idiosyncratic compared to 2007. His coverage of different supermarket chains seems dependent on what they offer him to sample. Most disappointingly, if you buy this book for Christmas and look for his main 2009 recommendations in January 2009, they may already have sold out, leaving you with the (usually disappointing) option of a more recent vintage.
on 26 October 2014
An excellent updated version. I tried many of the wines recommended in the 2014 edition but was disappointed that Aldi was not included in the list of supermarkets, but this has been changed for this 2015 edition which now includes Aldi and even more great wines.
Excellent little guide for any wine drinker, the writing is straight forward, interesting, and in no way pretentious. I have found it really helpful in finding the great supermarket wines that are out there, and fascinating to see how price doesn’t always relate to quality.
I look forward to trying more of the wines recommended and for all the information that the book provides it is well worth the cost of a bottle, cheers.
on 2 December 2011
I have bought this book every year since I discovered it. Unlike most people who walk aimlessly up and down supermarket aisles looking for a label that takes their fancy, I have Ned Halley, and I can honestly say that I have never been let down. As a bonus he is also a very funny/witty writer and I find myself reading entry after entry just for the pleasure of it. I cannot recommend it too highly.
on 24 January 2015
This is potentially a really useful little book, especially if you are looking for good and reasonably priced wines in the supermarket. You can just keep it for reference in your handbag or coat pocket. The only problem is that the 2014 version had quite a few 10 out of 10 wines for £4.99, all of which were excellent. This year there are noticeably fewer wines that get 10 out of 10 without being considerably more expensive, and the one red at £4.99 that we tried, that was recommended, was actually not that good, and 14% alcohol! Maybe 2014 was a particularly good year. I realize one is expecting a lot to get a good wine at £4.99 but the fact is that last year there were several excellent ones recommended. I guess we shall just have to up our price range.
on 31 October 2012
This is the third year I've bought this book and found it very useful. Luckily the wines that are recommended are ones that we enjoy and they are generally easy to find in our local supermarkets. This makes choosing and buying wine much easier especially with the suggestions about which wine should be drunk with different food.
on 14 November 2011
Taste in wine is very personal but I think that mine must be similar to Ned Halley's. I always take this book with me when I am supermarket shopping for wine and I find his recommendations excellent from the point of view of quality v cost whether I am buying a cheap everyday wine or something better for a special occasion. I agree with the reviewer who says that after about six months it is often difficult to find the recommended wines.
on 26 March 2013
This is the book for those who look for value in the supermarket. I have used it for years and it has never recommended an 8 or 9 rated wine that was not excellent. The best so far this year is Roc-Montalon Bordeaux Supérieur 2011 from ASDA, a shop I very seldom visit. The label is modest but this is definitely a very reasonable claret with more Cabernet Sauvignon than the 70+% Merlots which normally sell at the price. It will probably be even better in a year or two.

If, as I do, you go sniping for value have this book in your pocket.
on 16 February 2013
For those who used to buy Malcolm Gluck's Superplonk book, this is very similar. It ranks selected supermarket wines out of 10, relative to their price (so a £5 10/10 will be a great value wine and very tasty but probably not as good as an £8 10/10). Generally only those wines with scores of 7/10 or 8/10 and above make it into the book. I have used this book often since receiving it as a Christmas present and the wines we have bought, from under £5 to over £10 and generally with scores of 9 and 10 out of 10, have been fantastic drinking wines and exceptional value. It makes buying everyday slurping wines fun and much less of a lottery, helping you to navigate through the wide range of largely average wines sold in Supermarkets, finding real quality and value in unexpected places. For those, like me who have an interest in wine but do not profess to be expert, this book enables you to taste wines with varietal and regional characteristics without having to spend a fortune.
on 4 April 2015
A must have for anyone who buys wine in the UK supermarkets. Since we bought the book we have tried several reds and whites and never been disappointed. Most of the wines we tried are below £10, some below £7 , and we have been extremely pleased so much so that we recommended the book to all our friends!