Showing 1-10 of 41 reviews(5 star). See all 64 reviews
on 28 January 2009
There is a vast amount of books available on fruit and veg growing, some offer reams and reams of horticultural theory while others are of the look at the pictures and throw away variety. This book I am pleased to say strikes a nice balance between inspirational photos and common sense advice.

After a short introduction we are shown three distinct sections: Vegetables, herbs and fruit. Now I'll use the onion as an example of a section. First we get a brief description of the onion and its close family members, next we are told of some of the available varieties and their individual traits,we then move on to some growing tips which is broken into three categories : Sowing and planting, growing on and container growing. We then have the onion fact file which includes info on spacings, watering and what to do if your onions bolt ! Next we have a calender showing the sowing /planting time and also the harvest time. The next section is called in the kitchen and gives some useful tips on preparation,cooking,storage and freezing. This section is ended with info on the vitamins and antioxidants contained in an onion. Finally the section is wrapped up with a couple of recipes.

Although many of the recipes didn't appeal to me I found the information to be very valuable and clearly presented. If it's possible to pimp veg then this book manages it with amazingly rich photography. The growing tips are straight to the point and cuts out the bamboozlement contained in other books. Couple this with How to Store Your Garden Produce: The Key to Self-sufficiency by Piers Warren and you'll be well on the way to success. Best of luck !!
0Comment| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 May 2009
The book is brilliant, i have refered to it time and time again. It is easy to understand and being a first time gardener have seen the fruits of my labour. If you do not have much space or are new to growing veggies, buy this book. In my first year of gardening i grew: Potatoes, parsnips, carrots, brocolli, sweetcorn, lettuce, rocket, spinach, tomatoes, garlic, peas, basil, scallop squash, marrows, courgettes, kale, dill, mint, corriander, thyme, kabocha squash, 4 types of chilli, watercress, radishes and all of it was fantastic and all grown in a small north facing garden - a garden that is shared with one large dog and 3 cats, so space really is at a premium. If i can do it, so can everyone else as i had been known to kill off cacti and other so-called 'easy to grow' plants.
on 8 August 2017
The book arrived on time and my husband finds it very useful
on 13 June 2017
plenty of pictures very good book with times to plant
on 12 June 2011
This is an excellently produced book. Ideal for the vegatable beginner, good illustrations and easy to understand. Excellent value for money. Arrived as desceibed.
on 29 December 2010
I bought this for my mum so she can start growing her own fruit, veg and herbs. The book iself is great and so easy to use aswell as being very informative. I think this will be brilliant for beginners because is tells you everything you need to know. I haven't counted but there are so many fruit and veg in this book. Some I've never heard of!

The infomation shows how the seeds should be planted, how long for, what season and even how to cook it! I recommend this book for anyone who wants to start growing fruit and veg, especially beginners. Great value!
on 15 October 2009
I am quite experienced with vegs, and this is the greatest book I have ever seen. Compact, with precise information regarding most popular vegs, fruits and herbs. Got some really useful tips and can't wait for the spring - to start experimenting!
on 6 April 2010
We have a smallish back garden in a city where the soil is probably not the best. We built a raised bed to house our tomatoes last year but want to grow far more products this year so looked to books to plan our growing for the summer. This book certainly helped and we are now germinating our seeds and our variety of vegetables will be much larger this year. Great for anyone planning their vegetable and fruit growing in a small space or for those that don't want to dig up the garden.
on 11 August 2009
Buy this book, excellent, quality and price both excellent, no need to look else where for a better book.
on 6 February 2010
For the last couple of years I have read different 'container/ growing' books to help me create the vegetable patch I need. Starting off small I felt that the books I had didn't really concentrate on container growing, and wanting to expand my crop this year, went in search of a new book. This is brilliant. Although it is also tailored to plots and gardens there is so much essential information on container growing. The only TINY drawback is that there is not a lot of information on the pests that attack crops, but there is information on what types of plants/ flowers are best grown together. This book has all you need for growing vegetables/ herbs/ fruit in a small space. The layout is simple: vegetables, herbs and fruit. It has a much needed glossary at the end (I am that inexperienced I sometimes do not know what certain terms mean and have found books in the past to assume I do). Each item in the book gives a description of the history, sowing, germination, planting, harvesting, sowing outdoors and in continers, plus what do do with it once it reaches your kitchen. It has recipes and even gives you the right size container to use for each crop. I would sum this book up by saying, 'if you are inexperienced it is a must, if you want to 'dabble' it is a must, if you have a patio or want to grow out of containers it is a must. Sad as it is, I have not yet put this book down.