Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 December 2010
I love this book, i left my mam's 10 yrs ago and my husband done all the cooking so i never bothered to learn, now that we have seperated i have had to learn and this book is great it lives next to my cooker and gives me all the answers i need while cooking
on 9 March 2015
Contains great recipes for all ages.

This is meant for beginners but I bought this for my daughter in 2008 and she is still using it regularly (2015).. I would add that she is now a very good cook - not due to this book but because she loves cooking and experimenting with foods/recipes. This books helps her and provides her with recipes that she likes.

I would most definitely recommend this book to all - beginners and the more experienced cooks out there ;)

Thank you.
on 17 December 2010
Fairly reasonable recipe book and as the title suggests it keeps them simple. For the recipes it keeps the ingredients concise and also the methods used. There is a good range of recipes there and is good for getting an idea of how to use different ingredients into a finished dish. There's a couple of nice tips for the beginner there as well. I did think though there could have been more in the recipes about how to observe when something had cooked right beyond just the timing though. I found a couple of the recipes that the timings were a little out and so a little cooking knowledge was helpful in this regard.
on 25 November 2013
Very good book. I bought this for my soon to be daughter in law, she jokes about not being able to cook and I've been giving her a few lessons. She will be delighted with this. When my own daughter looked at it she commented she wouldn't mind one even though she's been married 15yrs, she said it would give her some new ideas for her family of 4 children. I'm gonna buy another!
on 25 October 2013
I am a chef not a beginner this book is easy, helpful and gives great recpies and tips. I have purchased this book for many of my friends, it is irrelevant what level you think you are at in the kitchen buy it there is something useful for everyone, would recommend this Handy Little book to anyone
on 28 January 2011
been trying to cook more home style meals for my boys. Recipes look good same that theres not pictures to go with all the recipes.
on 30 April 2011
I bought this book as a present for my Granddaughter who has just got her own flat and has no experience of cooking. I expected it to be a lot more basic than it was with more detailed instructions. I think the names of the recipes would have put her off, even though they aren't that complicated they sound quite 'posh'. Anyway, I decided to keep it myself and have found it invaluable. I recommend this book to anyone who is already familiar with basic cooking.
on 4 January 2016
Excellent book with lots of classic old family favourites but not really good for beginners. The pages are crammed with recipes which makes it rather difficult to access for the inexperienced cook who needs things clearly laid out. An excellent standby book which the beginner could move onto and use as a basis for years of sound cooking.
on 4 June 2010
This book is full of excellent simple recipes. It has simple tips and not too many ingredients for any dish. I would recommend it to anyone who wants inspiration. Famous chef books are full of stuff you can't cook on a normal basis-this just does simple food that everyone will enjoy eating.
on 12 December 2014
I bought this as a gift for a very good friend. Unfortunately she went into hospital shortly after receiving it (nothing to do with the recipes) and never came out. So I can't honestly comment on how good or bad the book is.