on 19 May 2017
My copy was exceptionally badly printed, apparently a shoddy copy and paste job. The illustrations are much smaller than I have seen before, smudgy, pixellated and hard to understand. With the illustrations of little value, I could not refresh my - admittedly very poor - magic skills.
on 29 April 2017
Excellent book very detailed
on 1 May 2017
Kids love it & kids described it as 'Epic' the magic tricks do work .... Just need a little practice & it's a world of fun trying :)
on 14 May 2017
Very good for anyone starting out and also for a refresh of techniques for the more experienced. One point is that you have to put the practice in before moving too quickly through the book as you will struggle otherwise.
on 10 March 2011
Too lazy to write a long review but I will say just that:

I wish I had found this book when I was a kid and interested in learning magic.
Instead of a collection of cheap and easy tricks this a method. And although I am
still at the start it is pretty obvious that it is an ideal starting point.
on 28 February 2017
The best book on card magic
on 6 April 2003
This is quite simply the best beginner's course in sleight of hand card magic there is. The only thing that can even contend is Roberto Giobbi's Card College, and this costs a fraction of the price.
Without a doubt I would reccommend this book to anyone who considers themselves a beginner or intermediate card man. The book includes definitons of all the basic sleights: palming, hindu shuffle, overhand shuffle and many others and some truly classic effects, like Cards Across and Now You See It.
If you're a beginner, go out and buy this now. If you're more advanced go for ECT but by all means get these books.
on 11 August 2000
This is one of the best books you'll ever buy on card magic...it has often been described as the 'The Bible of Card Magic'. It is an absolute definate for all those starting card magic as it clearly (with illustrations) outlines all the popular sleights and accompanying each sleight there are a selection of some very nice tricks. For those that are already competent in card magic, I have no doubt that this book already rests on your bookshelf!
This book is old, and has become one of the few magic "classics". it is seen, and rightly too, as required reading for all card magicians.
It contains many good tricks, good descriptions of the standard ways of handling and manipulating cards, and an out line of basic patter (what to say while doing the trick).
Note that all tricks take time to master, and some sleights take a paticually long time.
There are a few naff tricks, but for the price of the book, and considering the number of workable tricks, this book is an absolute steal.

Also consider "Scarne on card tricks" for some idiot proof, real magic.

If you finish the book (there's loads to do in it) consider some of Paul Gordon's books, for some more advanced card magic.
on 4 November 2002
When I started learning magic I wish I had heard of this book a few years ago. I still pruchased it though due to the high amount of quality material I have read from Hugard in the past, including Expert Card Technique. This book is second to none with other beginning card magic material.
I still refer to this book often when trying to see if something I am doing can be bettered in appearance.
Simply, if you are beginning card magic buy this first, master it and be brilliant then shift to Expert Card Technique which will help better your skills even further.
And at the price of this, its a bargain item when compared to other magic books (I usually spend £20+ average)
Yours In Magic,