Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 July 2014
Ignore all the idiotic 1-Star reviews from people who can't read product descriptions properly, (and then blame the product for their inability to read a simple thing, such as a product description), because this is a great Faber And Faber FILM SCRIPT! Faber have published hundreds over the years, from the likes of Kurosawa, Tarantino, Truffaut, Hartley, etc, etc, many of which I have collected.

For film-fans, they are great to go-back and enjoy favourite scenes again-and-again, or for seeing occasional glimpses of scenes or moments of dialogue, that screenwriters and/or directors chose to delete before the film was officially released.

Either way, THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL is a film heavy with witty repartee and zingy dialogue, many of which is as eminently quotable as any of the greatest parts of Shakespeare. (Yes, it really is that great!) For anyone who wishes to relive the comic highlights of Monsier Gustave H, or any other of the honourable (and dishonourable) characters that populate this fantastic movie, then this is one of the best ways of giving yourself a secret chuckle or two, away from watching the movie itself. If Wes Anderson and/or Hugo Guinness don't win an Oscar for this script next Frebruary, then it will be an outrage, as this has been one of the most delightful films of the year, if not the most delightful!

A lovely little book, that is far more valuable than its contents would have you think! Herr Mendl would be proud... as would Agatha!
44 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 June 2014
The description clearly states it's a filmscript, not a novel. The 1-star reviews don't do it justice at all, it's as wonderful as applesauce.

And for those seeking a deeper critique, let me say this: like applesauce, it's a fun, sugary tale whose sweetness and zest mask a bitter sadness. My favourite Anderson.
on 22 October 2015
How wonderful of Wes Andersen to make his screenplay available to fans of his films.. This is a happy addition to my little library, which was just as delightful as the movie itself. It was delightful to almost 're-watch' the movie as I was reading, at the same time as developing a greater appreciation for the script itself. This is a beautifully-crafted, heart-filled piece of storytelling, that often had me laughing out loud - even though I've seen the film many times and knew what was coming. And frankly, reading this book on the train and in cafes proved to be quite a conversation piece.. I was approached many times by people who had seen the movie and wanted to know why I was reading the book, which then became the basis for a good little talk about why I always have a book with me, and why reading is so important. So I can thank Mr. Andersen for that :)

I also feel like I owe this movie a great deal, in that it turned me on to the works of Stefan Zweig, master Austrian storyteller, and my new favorite author. Mr. Andersen has been very forthright about how Zweig's works were the inspiration for this film, which I loved so much - and that motivated me to buy a few of his books (first, 'Amok and Other Stories', then 'Beware of Pity'). I was hooked, and now own everything I could find. Pushkin Press has done a wonderful job collecting his works, and translator Anthea Bell deserves to be sainted for her contribution.. For all the pleasure this new reading has brought into my life, I felt I needed to buy 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' and complete the circle.. And I'm really glad I did!
God fornøjelse - Enjoy - as we say in Denmark :)
on 1 July 2014
I was looking to read some screen-plays of films and this is just as fun to read as the film is to watch. I also enjoyed the stills of the film added to it
on 9 January 2015
very enternaining, love the way it is written (as a play, with stage driections)
on 21 December 2014
Brilliantly written adapted screenplay.
on 7 October 2015
Amazing screenplay. The characters were great. The climax was jaw dropping. I hope the movie is as good. Also, the 1 star reviews are pointless.
on 8 January 2016
Loved the Film and this is great to read alomgcwoth the Film.
on 17 October 2015
good quality print and pictures
on 2 April 2015