Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 27 December 2013
This book, Afterliff, was a Christmas present. It is one of the funniest books I have ever read - and I've read tens of thousands of books in my lifetime. Its subtitle is: "the new dictionary of things there should be words for" and many of the words already exist as place names, such as Praze-an-Beeble (in Cornwall) which, according to Afterliff, means "the pair of witty signs or symbols on adjacent doors in a restaurant, which leave you unsure if you're entering the ladies or the gents". If you have a quirky sense of humour, this book is for you. I laughed till the tears ran down my face and I could only read a few entries at a time for fear of doing myself some damage!
on 14 November 2013
My husband's birthday present this year - he will love it!
We have the previous books and this one is even better!
on 15 February 2014
I wouldn't have thought there could be more definitions in need of a name after the Meaning of Liff, but I have been proved totally wrong.

Loads of fun and surprisingly thought-provoking. So many places too that I had never even heard of before :-)
on 8 March 2014
The original "Meaning of Liff" (and the much larger "Deeper Meaning of Liff") very much solved the problem brought on by Great Wakering. After very much enjoying the first 2, imagine my joy when whilst Dorking in the office, I found that that a new edition was being released! I purchased this book and when presented with the option of giving this away as a Christmas present, Faccombe! I thought and kept the book for myself.

This book won't set you back too many Devizes and would make the perfect Amazonia for anyone with a sense of humour.
on 15 April 2014
Some very very good Liffs. some are essential for modern living and will enter the language. the best ones contain insight into everyday situations that has not been revealed before combined with the quiet self-deprecation of the bewildered duffer trying to make their way. There are too many which are simple word games. It is important not to think that John Lloyd is coining it on the back of our contributions and the memory of Douglas to maintain you enjoyment.
on 14 September 2013
This book could almost be described as vanity publishing, containing as it does mostly the new "Liffs" which were submitted by the public in the run up to a programme on Radio 4 to celebrate 30 years since "The Meaning of Liff" was first published. Some of them are very funny; I particularly liked "Tildonk" for the plastic divider used on supermarket checkout conveyor belts, and also "Hanging Langford" for the unnecessary10 seconds' delay in announcing winners/losers on TV reality shows etc.. However there are others which are rather lame - as indeed that Radio 4 programme turned out to be, being sadly very much a "Blandford Forum" (see "Deeper Meaning of Liff"). If you're already a Liff aficionado, then do buy it as there are some new ones to make it worthwhile, but if you're new to the world of Liffs then I would say that the unexpurgated original book is the best - if you can still get hold of it.
33 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 December 2014
British Radio humour is the best and this book is excellent, very funny
on 20 March 2015
All you would expect..... favourite word currently is Faccombe
on 20 May 2014
The Liff family keeps expanding, and long may it continue to do so. I received this book as a gift and read it all within a couple of days. I then moved on to the equally impressive Yorkshire Meaning of Liff which I devoured in a day! Keep them coming...
on 9 August 2014
Great follow up from The meaning of Liff. This book is defiantly not a Manaus. It makes you smile and laugh out loud. I recommend you keep it by the loo. The cover is a simple blue colour with gold embossing (similar to a Treflach style).