Customer reviews

Prodigal Summer
Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 February 2017
This is a book that can be read on many levels - and one that is definitely on my re-read list. I expect to find even more levels when I read it again. I loved the way the author quietly introduces very contentious issues on a wide range of subjects. It is a book that I dwelt on for many days afterwards. If you are a thinker and the world is shades of grey, rather than black and white, then you should enjoy this book. This is a quiet book full of beautiful descriptions showcasing a love of nature.
on 27 August 2017
What an amazing novel. Kingsolver follows her three protagonists - Deanna, Lusa and Garnett - through one sticky summer in a small town in the Appalachians Mountains, flitting to and fro between their stories before eventually revealing the connections between them. Kingsolver doesn't just create characters, she creates people and as I read the words, I felt like I was watching Deanna's black snake and listening to Lusa laugh with Chrys. Kingsolver lives in the Appalachians and she uses Deanna, Lusa and Garnett - and her own extraordinary gift for exquisite detail - to uncover its ecosystem for us. It's in this that she reveals her reverence for natures awesomeness and lays it out for us to enjoy.

Prodigal Summer is a fabulously rich and rewarding read and one of my favourites this year.
on 8 March 2011
This is about 3 very different, strong women who appear to have no connection with each other but, as the book progresses, you discover subtle links and by the end you know they'll meet. Each women has her own story and own voice and is a joy to read. Barbara Kingsolver continues to make the environment her focus and the basis of each story is some aspect of respecting the plants and animals living on the land near where each woman lives.

on 13 February 2010
I came upon Barbara Kingsolver via Amazon - reading reviews by people who liked what I also liked.
I cannot understand why I had not heard of her before - why is she not on the book prize / best seller lists?
I read first Poisonwood Bible & was bowled over by her brilliant style, the beautiful quality of her writing and the fact that she also tells such a good story - and so interesting. I felt I was learning a lot too. I did not want to finish it. I followed up with Prodigal Summer - after a gap - not wanting to be 'Kingsolvered out ' & worried the next might disappoint. Not to be - just finished it & again feel I have to declare her talent. Very different book in many ways, yet reflecting still her fundamental concerns for life, the balance between man and nature and the importance of the relationships that exist between. A beautiful, soothing read and a good story too. I can only continue reading the rest of her novels & wondering why no-one seems to know her?? Pass it on.
on 4 October 2014
Interesting themes on the environment and conservation. It's particularly relevant at present with the arrival in Britain of the moth that feeds on Horse Chestnut trees. Many trees are being affected by it and there is no way to protect them. The book poses important questions as to what are the best methods to protect the future of our environment for animals, plants and humans. But please don't get the impression this is a heavy ready, it is also very entertaining.
on 25 June 2013
For the first three quarters of the book it was great then it became pedestrian and I just wanted to get it finished as I began to care less not more about the characters who basically didn't do anything different from when they were first introduced, although that was interesting and they plodded along in character just fine it just became lack luster a sadly bit of a chore.
on 6 April 2015
This was a choice for our book group. I very much enjoyed the descriptive writing and the evocation of the nature described. Characters were equally interesting and the facts concerning predators was informative.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 July 2012
I was full of trepidation (having read Poisonwood Bible and ranking it as one of the best books of my life) that I would be disappointed with anything else that Barbara Kingsolver wrote - I need not have worried. What a beautiful book. I've learnt so much about coyotes, moths and people.

Thank you Barbara,may you continue to be one of my favourite authors of all time
on 10 February 2014
A totally absorbing and thought-provoking novel. As always, Kingsolver combines a compelling and believable central character, strong plotting and a backdrop of meaty issues, largely environmental but with the trials and aspirations of would-be long-term relationships also there. This one differs from others I have read, in using the technique of intersecting novelettes. But it comes to satisfying unity, and one is rooting for the multiple heroines all along.
on 30 August 2016
A wonderful, thought provoking book, with characters that may be a little stereotypical perhaps but so engaging, you wat to know how they're connected and what the future will likely hold, for them and for their environment. Long live the predators!