Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 October 2015
I bought this book for my 11 year old niece but couldn't resist having a read myself. Set just before the turn of the 20th Century the story opens with the report of the tragic drowning of a young boy in a frozen lake. Fast forward 10 years and a young girl nearly dies in the same place in the same way. Saved by the ghost of the dead boy Tilly is set on a path to discover the truth about Kit Barrington's death, and to do this she takes up work as a house maid at Frost Hollow Hall (Kit's family home). There she finds a house still shrouded in grief, secrets not spoken of and a household haunted by an angry spirit. This is a thrilling read of mystery and ghosts and a brave young girl's quest to seek the truth and put old griefs into the past. Some of the ghost scenes even gave me the shivers and I'm sure it will keep my niece glued to the pages.
on 2 January 2016
This is a lovely seasonal story ideal for young teens. An historical fiction set in the winter of 1881. Tilly Higgins goes skating on the frozen lake at Frost Hollow Hall as a dare by her friend Will Potter. Unfortunately the ice is thin and Tilly slips through, as she nears death a beautiful angel appears before her in the form of Kit Barrington who saves her. However, Kit is not an angel, merely a troubled ghost who needs Tilly to help set him free by finding out the truth behind his death 10 years previously. To find out this truth Tilly must get into the Great House and uncover its secrets but she finds out much more than she expected to.

Although I liked this book I did not rate it higher as I felt it was lacking a little in the ending. It is a nice gentle ghost story a little scary at times but not anything that will scare the pants off you.
on 22 June 2014
I received a free copy of this book via netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book, it was fun and full of mystery. I like the characters and the setting, the story was enjoyable and flowed well. I enjoyed all the secrets and the brilliantly clever big reveal, but for me the secrets were tame, clever and made sense but tame. Kit seemed like a decent person, the whole story is set around the place of his death, it was a haunting setting with such a sad story but a beautiful ending. I was engrossed from the first page, my attachment did not falter until the last page.

The house was creepy yet beautiful, I was so engaged with the setting that I felt like I was actually there. I liked the idea of a large house with lots of rumours surrounding it and the family that lived there. Even with the ghostly goings on I would love to visit there.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes mystery, books set in the 1800′s, or drama. I would definitely read this book again and I have already given a copy of the book for my mum to read. If you want a page-turner, pick this book up.

4.5 out 5 stars, the tameness let it down slightly for me.
on 19 November 2013
This book is a brilliant read and I was unable to put the book down. Finished it in roughly four hours, and am still reeling from the storyline and the events of the novel.
You can tell a book is truly great when you get goose bumps whilst reading and the fast pace of the novel leaves you craving more.
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a good ghost story and for those who love a thrilling captivating read.
on 6 June 2017
A rattling good yarn. A fast paced, mystery story that will leave you unable to put the book down. You will keep wanting to turn just one more page to know what happens.
A family estate, old house, wintry scenes, ghost, lake, forest, graveyard, maids glore, upstairs downstairs, its all there
on 22 August 2017
Thanks
on 8 August 2015
I loved this book; it was funny and touching and I absolutely 💙 this book!!!
My favourite part was when Tilly was skating on the lake.

💙 ilovegreyhounds💙
on 18 August 2017
I could not put it down. A lovely story.
on 17 July 2017
Absorbing and sensitive. Superb and brilliantly written. A story you could read over and over and not get bored. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
on 15 May 2017