Format: Hardcover|Change

on 15 March 2014
I collect books by and about Plath and so I was pleased to be able to buy this book. However, I was slightly disappointed when I read it. Although the book is a fair size, the editor/book designer choose to make the size of the printed drawings quite small on the page. This is very unlike most art books, where each image is given as much of the page as possible. I can only make a guess at the reason. It appears to be a direct reprint of the catalogue for the exhibition and sale of the drawings. Gallery catalogues tend to make the images small on each page. Simply reprinting it without resizing the images to fill each page was more than a bit of lazy effort on the part of Faber. After all, since all publishing is now designed on computers it wouldn't have taken much effort to make the images larger for this edition.
Badly done, Faber. You'll never compete with Phaiden and other art publishers by making such mistakes.
Even so, it is nice to have a book of Plath's drawings.
on 16 October 2013
I don't care for Plath's poetry and feel that it is overrated. However, on the evidence of this selection of her art, she is an outstanding draughtsman with her beautifully observed and finely executed drawings. They are atmospheric and give a real sense of place - a revelation indeed!

A highly recommended book: a real and unexpected find - well worth buying!
on 21 May 2014
I saw this reviewed in my daily paper, but when it arrived I was sorry to see the quality of the reproductions of Plath's drawings was very variable, with the lines of her sketches blurring into one another in several examples. I don't feel that the printing process has done her justice, which is a shame as I am not aware of any other work that has these particular examples. Otherwise it's a touching hommage to a tortured poet and artist. I shall certainly be keeping it.
on 24 January 2014
As an avid Plath fan this surprised me entirely, I did not knew she could draw at all - let alone this well. This makes a great addition to any book shelf, coffee table or library.
on 23 June 2014
Bought this for my sister. Such beautiful illustrations. Who new Sylvia Plath was such a fantastic draughtsman (woman)? Would very much recommend
on 9 February 2014
I love this book, it is a lovely celebration of Sylvia Plath's little known drawings. It arrived promptly and in excellent condition.
on 22 June 2015
I was pleasantly surprised, it serves as another valuable addition to my already burgeoning 'Plath' collection!
on 13 May 2014
dust cover was a bit marked and dented; otherwise fine. Overall ok; shame about dents and marks on dust jacket.
on 28 July 2014
Beautiful art work of Sylvia Plath printed in hardback.
Lovely book as a gift.