Customer reviews

Eleven Days (Carrigan & Miller)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 June 2017
Good read on holiday
on 12 August 2013
Really different, great twist at the end, enjoyed it. Bit scary in places, but that adds to the appeal for me
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 May 2013
Once again I found myself diving into a "second in series" book by an author I was already extremely fond of. The first book in the "Carrigan and Miller" series, A Dark Redemption, was excellent and I was not far into this one before I realised that, if anything, it was even better. This time we find our protagonists investigating arson at a convent in which eleven nuns die...except there were only ten nuns in residence. With Eleven days to go until Christmas, the powers that be are keen for a resolution to this case... So begins a mystery that is deeper than it first appears and takes us on a journey across time and continents until the final,very jaw dropping (in the best way possible - I didnt see it coming and there was I thinking I was clever...) solution. Once again Mr Sherez creates characters you can believe in. Both Carrigan and Miller grow in stature and the supporting cast are all important to the story and well drawn. The background, of evil acts in South America, The Shining Path and all the political shenanigans is brilliant - extremely realistic, I imagine that a fair bit of research was involved in making it authentic. Its also a terrific social comment on what may be happening in our own back yard that we all turn a blind eye to - some of the story was very emotive and isnt it great when a book can make you feel something as well as entertain you? I have to say I was pleased to be reading this on the Kindle - I'm fairly sure I would be covered in paper cuts by now otherwise in my eagerness to turn pages...so all in all a great sequel, a great book and if you havent met up with Carrigan and Millar before, head back towards a Dark Redemption and I'm fairly sure it will then be less than Eleven Days before you are reading Eleven Days. Wonderful.
on 19 April 2017
I am disappointed that I only discovered Sherez recently, which means I have quite a bit of catching up to do.

This is a very good police procedural with a lot of twists and turns, as well as red herrings. I was hooked and very keen to establish what was going on. Sherez does very well in his story-structuring in inserting elements to keep things interesting, while at the same time holding back just enough to keep the reader invested. There was probably one twist too many here, but the plot had the right ingredients and was otherwise pretty plausible and interesting.

There were two personal issues which I think deserved to be resolved in this book, but surprisingly weren't (Carrigan's plan to get involved in a colleague's relationship difficulties, as well as quite a serious issue of friction within the team). I have read the sequel and don't recall them being addressed there - then again, my memory is not what it used to be.

Overall, I was once again impressed by this Sherez effort, which I rate slightly less highly than the sequel.
on 22 September 2017
This is the second book in the series carrigan/miller and is better than the first( way better).The opening chapter is in another continent to the main storyline but is much clever than the first book .The twists and turns in this book are amazing and keep you guessing to the very end, our main characters carrigan/miller are as usual having problems with thier superiors, but win through in the end (sort of).This author stav sherez is an outstanding find in my humble opinion and i shall look foward to reading more of this series,so just go out and BUY the book and have a literary TREAT folks.
on 30 April 2013
This is the first book I have read by this author and I will read more and recommend it to others. This was a good story which kept a readers interest with clever twists. A substantial amount of research has gone into making the plot believable and the result is a worthwhile read. The story is written with a good pace to it and I liked it a lot.
on 11 June 2014
Well it would be easy to knock this right back to one or two stars. Firstly it can be seen simply as a variation on the first book of the series. That was' London Life influenced by Torture and Murder in Africa' and this just substitutes South America for Africa. You can even extrapolate to guess that the next book will feature torture in China or the Middle East..

Then there is an entirely gratuitous introduction of a pair of identical twins straight out of Gilbert and Sullivan.

But, a few creaks and groans notwithstanding, there are reasons why this is very definitely a 5 star book. I suppose that the main reason has to do with the fragmentation in the 'thriller market'. I went on Amazon to write a review of a book by Janet Evanovich in which the heroine's choice of clothes was the primary subject. But the book had over 900 four and five star reviews so I slunk away. Then there are American formulaic thrillers so that the authors do not actually write the book at all; just like with Garfield there is a team at work so the likes of James Patterson no longer write their own books!

This is where Mr Shrez picks up his stars ! He does not write 'thriller light' and he does write his own book. His characterization of both male and female members of his cast is pretty outstanding; the reader really feels for Carrigan and Miller both of whose lives are blighted by problems. And the imported torture scenes help to illuminate Mr Sherez's basic theme that modern London has a dreadful underbelly but is way , way better than so many other countries.

As for the critic who said she was bored...well I can only say that I found myself reading at 2am and 3am unable to leave the characters...
on 12 September 2014
I really enjoyed this, and I am not normally a reader of crime novels. It was very much a punt, just for something different.

The author writes in a style that was brisk, making it possible for me to steam through the pages much faster than I often read. Importantly it kept me interested throughout.

What surprised me is sometimes how the book caught me off guard. The characters I didn't find overly interesting or multi-layered, but then one was in peril and all of a sudden I found myself racing through the text with concern. A couple of twists made me really feel for characters. So I was clearly more involved than I had given the book credit for.

For me the outcome was quite predictable... although was still a surprise. Let me explain the contradiction. I had guessed right, at least to a large part of the story, early on. But in like a magician the author had a good art of distraction, distracting me to the point where I had concluded I was wrong or just plain forgot my theory. The outcome thus did seem a bit a bit obvious to me when it came, but I never felt cheated. You can lie to and work against a reader, or you can take them along for a fun ride and trick them as a good magician does. The author definitely did the latter.

There were a few story issues for me. "Eleven Days" the title I felt was going to have much more relevance than it did, and it set expectations. The nuns staying where they were to me makes no sense even after reading the book. If the nuns had shown signs of struggle and panic I think the story would still have been just as good but it would have been more realistic. And towards the end of the book it became exposition heavy.
A couple of minor grumbles too. The overused way of ending each chapter on a cliffhanger. The Coke product placement. And I wasn't certain whether the constant London name dropping felt authentic and added to the narrative or was just showy. But they are minor grumbles.
I will definitely go back and read the first novel now. It wasn't clear from the cover that it was a sequel... but I'm glad I didn't know otherwise I'd have probably not gone for the spontaneous purchase. As I have, I now want to read more.

I'm just left with one mystery: why is Richard Nixon credited for copyright on the cover?
on 3 April 2014
In contrast to A Dark Redemption I enjoyed this one very much though once again Mr Sherez takes you on a roller coaster ride of red herrings. Nothing is as it seems and just when Carrigan and Miller think they have nailed it, another twist comes in to play which takes them on another lead altogether.

There is no complacency here with these two detectives as they investigate the gruesome murder of 10 nuns locked in a room sitting down to dinner during a horrendous fire which sweeps through their convent. Things get complicated however when an 11th body is found but who is she and why was she there that particular night.

The relationship between Carrigan and Miller develops further where they learn each others strengths and weaknesses. They have the makings at last of a workable team where each knows what the other is thinking and can act without second guessing the other.

The ending came as a complete surprise, I didn't see it coming at all so hats off to Mr Sherez for his clever plotting where he neatly ties it all up with a fabulous ending.

I look forward to the next installment of the Carrigan and Miller series where I hope things will progress even further along the romantic trail perhaps?

Thank you Stav for a great read.
on 30 July 2013
My first Carrigan & Miller, and I've enjoyed meeting them.

Police procedural double-act, with credible, sympathetic, flawed characters following various leads towards suitably shocking if slightly less credible conclusion.

Sherez is ambitious: we have Eastern European drug barons, Peruvian politics of the 1970s, and the Catholic church at its most devious (though, thankfully, we are spared the by now traditional conspiracy theory). He is also, in places, a memorably good phrase-maker (though he is pleased enough with one or two of his best that he can't resist using them again).

Carrigan leads the case down some not entirely blind alleys, and everything does connect, though not always in the way he (or we) first thought. His mistakes - and his acknowledgement of them - help to flesh out his character and the murky world of morally grey indistinction in which he works.

Relationships between the characters, too, are handled with subtlety and maturity. Many times the reader is relieved that the author manages at the last moment to avoid the apparently imminent cliche.