Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 31 December 2011
Everything that needs to be said about this novel seems to have been said already in the ninety odd reviews I skimmed through this morning. For me it was not a patch on a Jane Austen or a P D James but hey ho its christmas and as a light read it wasn't at all bad. I have to vent my irritation about one small thing however....P D James has Darcy thinking to himself that he might need to call in the police to search the wood. I should have thought with her long experience of writing about the Police P D James would have known this was highly unlikely to have been a thought to cross Darcy's mind in l803! My knowledge of policing is probably boring and rare [it was the subject of my MA dissertation] but I would have thought P D James would know that Police forces were only established in response to the Municipal Corporations Reform act of 1835. There would have been a few special constables[like the two introduced in subsequent chapters] but a force of men able to search the woods of Pemberley? A rare example of P D James losing her touch.fjs
on 17 November 2011
In The Private Patient, P.D. James's 14th Adam Dalgliesh mystery, the charismatic police commander knows the case of murdered journalist, Rhoda Gradwyn, may be his last. James's readers fervently hoped it wasn't the end of the poetry writing policeman.
Commander Dalgliesh had first appeared in James's debut 1962 thriller Cover Her Face. She gave notice then that a singular talent had arrived.
Now Baroness James, the greatest contemporary writer of classic crime, has told London's The Guardian newspaper that she was disinclined, at 90, to begin another Dalgliesh novel, on the grounds that to die leaving a manuscript unfinished would be "intolerable".
She chose instead to pursue a long cherished, if surprising, ambition.
"I saw I had the opportunity to indulge myself. I wanted to combine my two enthusiasms: writing detective fiction and reading Jane Austen. I thought it would be enjoyable to revisit the characters in Pride and Prejudice and to create a really original, exciting, credible detective story at the same time."
Death Comes to Pemberley is set in 1803. Darcy and Elizabeth have been happily married for six years. There are now two sons in the Pemberley nursery. Elizabeth's beloved sister Jane and her husband, Bingley, live within cooee.
The story opens on the eve of the annual autumn ball. The Darcys and their guests are preparing to retire for the night when a chaise appears, rocking down the path from Pemberley's wild woodland, and as it pulls up, Lydia Wickham, an uninvited guest, tumbles out, screaming that her husband has been murdered.
James' recreation of one the greatest novels in the English language is masterful.
Phyllis Dorothy James was born in Oxford in 1920. And in the sad event that this is her last book, I would like to leave you with her answer when asked what detective fiction meant to her: "That I am a woman who likes life to be ordered. In a long life, I have never taken a drug or got drunk, and I say that not as a matter of pride: it's because the idea of being out of control is appalling to me. I think that when one writes detective stories one is imposing order, and a form of imperfect but human justice, on chaos."
Death Comes to Pemberley is indeed original, exciting, and credible.
on 7 December 2014
excellent excellent excellent
on 2 January 2015
sent this book for a present.
on 27 March 2015
Great product, fast dispatch!
on 19 November 2011
I must say I was very disappointed. I read about one book a week here in Bavaria and avidly trawl through all the new bestsellers, and to me this new hardback P.D.James is such a waste of money. I also was completely mixed up with who was who, and found the plot too complicated to follow. Having just read the other reviews, I also agree that the confession from the dying man was a real anti-climax. I kept waiting for the bombshell, or the twist, that it would turn out to be his wife, or his sister who killed the man, anything that would liven up the story, but it never did. I read it to the end because I cannot bear to waste my money but I was very, very disappointed. I usually send my `good` once-read books to my mother in England so as not to waste them, but this one, I`m afraid I shall just throw in the rubbish bin! If I had wanted to read a book written using this old-fashioned style of narrative I would have bought Jane Austen or any one of these authors/authoresses, not P.D.James. Why cannot successful authors stick to their style which has made them successful?
on 8 October 2014
very gripping and good story
on 4 September 2015
Disappointing on the whole.
on 4 September 2015
Enjoyed every minute of it!
on 14 April 2015