Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 April 2015
thanks great book and service delivery
on 28 February 2012
I feel odd not giving this book a fantastic review like others.

It started off a bit slow then Cole managed to capture my interest along the way with some wonderful anecdotes that resonated with me. The story line lost focus after that as I failed to understand the plot, there was an opportunity to regain some of my enthusiasm and interest towards the end, but it fell flat.

Very well written and good description of NYC, and I particularly enjoyed the encounter in Brussels with Farouq, fantastic! Wish it had gone somewhere from then.

Well done to Cole - first book, so far so good. I will look forward to reading another.
on 5 February 2012
Deliberately cryptic. Meandering. The flaneur psychiatrist walks around NYC and Brussels (once in a while Nigeria gets a look in). Tells us little anecdotes about Mahler and old theaters and Statue of Liberty and some old graveyard and a building of note. Nothing happens, or at least, nothing very interesting. Very brief revelation near the end. At that point I really didn't care. Narrator was kind of a bore; he gets beat up by some thugs and even that part seemed washed out and overly literary. Sure, the vignettes were occasionally interesting. BUt, it looks like everyone is trying to imitate Sebald, and not doing a very good job of it. Reminds me a little of that book Netherland that I got sucked into. Is there anyone out there writing interesting books? Or do I have to go back to the crime writers?

This is another modern dud. Don't bother. Trust me. I'm about ready to never trust another review. I've had about four books in a row now that aren't any good.