Customer reviews

The Casual Perfect
Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 June 2013
If you are looking to read a collection that exemplifies contemporary excellence in poetry, then look no further. There is a hint of Elizabeth Bishop in Greenlaw's restraint and lack of sentimentality. The wonderful thing about a Greenlaw poem is that it can be read on many levels, inviting multiple interpretations. Greenlaw plays with language -- I'm sure I've missed most of her refs(!), but I certainly appreciate those I recognise. Not once did I feel that these poems were too obscure, alienating me as a reader. Every so often, Greenlaw will throw out a question, eg, 'where to go. where does everyone go?' that pulls the reader into the landscape of the poem or the mind of the poet. My favourite is 'Essex Kiss,' but Greenlaw's brilliant artistry and academic background are at work in every poem in The Casual Perfect.
on 8 January 2012
I'll be honest - reading these poems, I rarely understood what Lavinia Greenlaw was really trying to say. However, the beauty of use of the language was such that it doesn't seem to matter. Greenlaw's use of words is fabulous - surely second to none - and there is a pleasure, as in all good poetry, of reading the poems aloud, finding the rhythm, the natural pauses with a resonance, and just being in the moment with the sound of the poem. Meaning may come with repeated reading and further thought, but understanding should not put anybody off acquiring this beautifully written poetry.

Gorgeous!
on 25 May 2012
This collection is like a good single malt: for savouring and repeated tasting. The poems are beautifully written and the imagery is rich. I have to admit to being stumped by the obscurity of the content in many instances but poems such as The Literal Body have a variety of interpretations and perhaps Greenlaw is allowing us that space. Fal Estuary is a gem, even if you've never been there. This collection definitely benefits from repeated readings. Recommended.