Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 August 2010
This is a rather odd little book. I am still uncertain as to the target audience - horse mad girls, presumably, but while there is lots of detail about riding and horse training, there is very little passion about horses. I kept waiting for the plot to get going - but it doesn't, really. Uncle Lucas shows how NOT to train a horse, and then leaves; the elderly Jem arrives as a Deus ex Machina and shows how best to train a horse, pockets his fee, and leaves; the difficult Grumpy George comes good-enough and goes off to a new home, but there is little drama in it. The school subplot - unpleasant teenage girls squabbling about boys and "best friends", a "lost" necklace planted on our heroine, etc, etc has been hackneyed for over a hundred years. It all feels rather like the exposition and establishment of characters for a more engaging story yet to come. Well written, and with some memorable scenes, but not vintage Smiley, and not vintage Pony book, either.
on 20 December 2013
This was a complete let-down! I don't really understand the fabulous reviews - I completely disagree. This story had absolutely no pace whatsoever and I frequently found my mind wandering off, or having to skip pages because the book did not engage at all. It's just really, really dreary and quite frankly just plain boring. There was hardly any story to the book - it droned on and on for pages and pages about Abby at home, then at school, then at home again! The plot was all over the place and I couldn't make sense of it at all - and it never got going. There was not even a twist in the story. It took me several weeks to struggle through it and I thoroughly did not enjoy it. OK, Nobody's Horse was reasonably well-written - that's why it gets two stars - but it was slow and boring.

I think it will make different opinions, and if you prefer a slow-paced book (a very slow-paced book) then you'll love it. Give it a try and see what you think because there will be people who enjoy Nobody's Horse. This was only my opinion.
on 22 March 2013
I bought this book around four years ago and have read it multiple time sense. It's not my usual taste in book, I usually prefer dark, fantasy sort of stuff, but I really enjoyed it.

I thought that Abby was a good main character as she had her own ideas about the way things should be and she's generally happy. I was also glad that she was a bit of an outsider at school as I find when books have the really 'popular' kind of girl as the main story it gets kinda boring fast.

It's definitely a horsey book and for people who don't know much about them, they may not understand certain words and equine terms.

All in all, I enjoyed the book and will definitely recommend it to my friends :)
on 25 December 2013
I am am 12 and I love horses and ride and I'm a huge book worm.I'm sorry if the criticism is harsh, but it's just my opinion. This book was very disappointing. I'm not sure what the main storyline was and I didn't think the characters were convincing. I thought it was about a foal. But not much changes throughout the book. There was no passion. Usually the character forms a bond with the horse. The heroin doesn't appear to have formed any bond with the foal. It seemed a bit pointless to me. I only finished the book because it was a present and I did want to give it a chance.
on 14 March 2013
I love horse books and this was very good I have also read secret horse when Jack is a colt not a foal :-)
on 25 February 2013
The book was for the school library. It was for a student in KS3 who prefers horses rather than reading.
on 5 February 2013
I gave nobody's horse a 5 as it is the best book I have ever read In general I dislike reading but this book made me change my mind so u would be clever to read it if u like horses it is AMAZING!!!!!
Wonderful read really enjoyed this product Jane Smiley really gave me a riveting read a true acknowledgeable passion for horses and I speak as a horse owner and lover that this is one of the best books that should be up their with classics such as Black Beauty By Anna Sewell!
on 23 November 2012
This was a nice story and a book I would give as a present to my grandchildren who loves animals.
on 28 March 2013
A children's story really but i think it will be sweet. Haven't red it all yet. Fair conditions for price.